Members v The Media v Koch

Remove this Banner Ad

If the club doesn’t fall for it and offer an extension at the end of 2017 it would be in a much better position.
Yeah, but if we'd let Hinkley walk at the end of 2017 we could've ended up hiring a dud of a coach and achieved jack s**t over the next 5 years.

Oh, wait ...

Would we classify KT tarring all Port supporters as bullies, anti-Autism etc. based on unverified reports of opposition fans as:
1. Gaslighting
2. Sucking up to the AFL in the (false) belief the club looks wonderfully PC and will get some future benefit (ha!)
3. KT and co. really did/do think many of the fans are pieces of s**t who need reminding to show basic decency
4. All of the above

Its an attempt by the club to hark back to the glory days of the Magpies.

The thing is, we never loved being the underdog. The reason it stuck around is because we used to win when he had absolutely no right to win. We went into seasons and games where we were written off by all and sundry but internally we still expected to win.

We dont love being the underdog, we were the exception to the rule of being the underdog

Absolutely correct. It is clearly an outsider's interpretation of Port Adelaide. In comes KT and the underdog reference came with him. He knew us as a club that won games when 'he' didn't expect us to win (which he shared in an early interview on a Thursday night). So he shares that notion with people at the club that haven't understood Port and the club gleefully communicates it through its social media platforms at every opportunity.

I think in 2019 the club received a lot of anguish about continuously claiming to be underdogs and they appeared to finally listen to its supporters. Haven't seen it for a while.

I'm really sick being reminded of our 2010-2012 era. Its past, there's zero reason to keep bringing it back up. No other club in the league gets constant referral of an unsuccessful period in their history like us.

We also don't take solace in remembering that era, and it doesn't suddenly make us forget any current problems with our club. Its so club admin, officials and media can gaslight us even harder.
I think they do it because the reality is it’s our only ever unsuccessful era, not by ports standards of course, but as far as football clubs generally go, it’s the only real semi extended run at the bottom the club has ever had. So it’s all they’ve got really

I'm really sick being reminded of our 2010-2012 era. Its past, there's zero reason to keep bringing it back up. No other club in the league gets constant referral of an unsuccessful period in their history like us.

We also don't take solace in remembering that era, and it doesn't suddenly make us forget any current problems with our club. Its so club admin, officials and media can gaslight us even harder.
Not at the moment, but Sydney for years were reminded about their 1991-93 era until they won a flag. Western Bulldogs were reminded of their near death in 1989 for a decade or more.

Whilst Hinkley is at the helm and he has media mates rooting for him to keep his fat contract, we will be constantly reminded of that era and that Ken saved us - despite all the moves in the background to get us out of the s**t.

Remember Vanstone's tweet a few years back (2018?) smugly referring to Richmond's Peggy O'Neil and telling us to "stay the course". North Melbourne applied that strategy and look how it has unfolded for them.

Koch continually criticising members critical of Hinkley's performance by calling them haters makes him by his own definition a hater of those members.
Sure does. However, for Koch to see this, would mean having to admit to his faults. And I think we all know he would never set his ego aside to see it - in his mind, that sort of thing is beneath his station.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accomplishment is subjective depending on which side of the fence you choose to reside.
When you state your goals up front (i.e. we exist to win premierships) then it is pretty clear cut.

Though I guess it doesn't say when or how often.

Perhaps it should be we exist to have the highest strike rate of premiership wins in the league, but then I guess one could argue we do not exist.

Koch needs to realise that the club members as a collective are far more important than a underachieving coach
Koch needs to realise that the PAFC is not his personal play thing and ego booster.

His complete disdain for the members who don't agree with everything he says is obvious.

Koch continually criticising members critical of Hinkley's performance by calling them haters makes him by his own definition a hater of those members.
Koch has turned Port into St. Kilda - close but no cigar is now obviously OK. The Saints have now gone 56 years without a flag, and we're heading along the same path.

I've purchased 4 tix to "Before the Bounce" next week vs Essendon. It's part of my wife's Bday gift. Being her Bday, I will have to contain my jeering of the balding arrogant egomaniac so as not to embarrass her. It will take my every effort.
It was my wife's birthday yesterday and I organised dinner out on game day, something I would never do in the past.
I had a good time and wasn't even tempted to sneak a peek on Kayo. We got home around half time, turned on the tv and a few moves by Scott and it was all over red rover, we had to laugh.

Its an attempt by the club to hark back to the glory days of the Magpies.

The thing is, we never loved being the underdog. The reason it stuck around is because we used to win when he had absolutely no right to win. We went into seasons and games where we were written off by all and sundry but internally we still expected to win.

We dont love being the underdog, we were the exception to the rule of being the underdog

Late to this, but quite right.

And specifically, the writing off was due to a belief we were ‘too old & too slow’, what with younger and supposedly fresher Glenelg, WWT and Central District teams coming to knock us off our perch: an ageing alphadog in decline.

In the AFL context at least, KT & Koch continually frame/d us as some sort of North Melbscrayesque scrapping minnow with no right to compete against the big boys.

Putrid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back