News Michael Talia arrested (read OP first)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There is also an argument that our recent society that focuses more on education and support programs has not done anything to reduced drug use, but in-fact has actually seen both its use and acceptance in society increase despite being illegal. Neither individual approach has worked to date.
I think there's more to it than just the amount of drug use.

The rationale with a more tolerant, health-based approach would be that at least they're not clogging the justice system with petty cases; at least they're not rendering themselves unemployable with a jail record*; and that a clinically-managed drug addiction is preferable to addicts' only interface with the health system being regular appearances in emergency wards.

Even if drug use has increased, if more drug users can manage to hold down a job, and not OD on park benches, that's probably a win for society at large.

*Of course the push for privatisation of prisons, which strikes me as possibly the most insane development I've ever witnessed, might lead one to suspect that some people in positions of authority have no interest whatsoever in keeping prison populations down; in fact a vested interest in increasing numbers wherever possible.

Which is why I said if guilty.
You don't understand. Talia can be found guilty but with a Section 10 will have no conviction recorded. That means there is no record of a conviction or arrest on his "police" record. So tell me how could he be fairly dismissed under those circumstances. Young men on first offences with small possession charges have a very good chance of receiving Section 10 decisions.

Sorry to intrude, not looking to take potshots or anything like that. But just on the topic of it being something that could lead to him being sacked, it would be a real possibility. Even if he wasn't at work, he is representing the club at all times as he is a public figure. Even though he wouldn't be that well known, he represents the club & as such this is a very negative look to the public.

If I (or you) are in uniform leaving work, walking around the city or something like that & say something highly offensive/do something aggressive etc, if that's reported to your work I don't fancy the chances of keeping a job if it's grounds for termination.

It's good he's just been stood down & the club will support him, but by that it wouldn't surprise me if part of that is preparing for life after footy as well
He could not be "sacked" in your words for this incident even if found guilty. I don't imagine Talia was wearing a Swans jumper at the Casablanca club. He also may have no conviction recorded even if found guilty. For crying out loud the kid hasn't beaten a woman or committed a sexual crime. The emphasis in employment law in drug out of work cases is on rehabilitation. Serfdom ended some time ago.

You don't understand. Talia can be found guilty but with a Section 10 will have no conviction recorded. That means there is no record of a conviction or arrest on his "police" record. So tell me how could he be fairly dismissed under those circumstances. Young men on first offences with small possession charges have a very good chance of receiving Section 10 decisions.

Is it a small possession charge? My understanding was it was a large quantity.

I work in the industry in the corporate office environment, if I test positive then its instant dismissal. I'm not saying that no-one does drugs in the industry but if they do do it, its done knowing the consequences but trust me many still choose to play roulette with the testers.
Talia didn't test positive to anything. He was not in his workplace. So what on earth is the relevance of positive drug test rules in workplaces to this case? He was in possession. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE HE TOOK A DRUG. The law and fairness in dismissal at work is based on EVIDENCE not your assumptions. Give the kid a break FFS. Sorry about the caps but really

Is it a small possession charge? My understanding was it was a large quantity.
What is your definition of a large quantity? Possession is defined in law as a small quantity. If he had a large quantity he would have been charged with a much more serious offence. Lets not let the facts get in the way of character assassination and denigration of a young man shall we.

Sorry to intrude, not looking to take potshots or anything like that. But just on the topic of it being something that could lead to him being sacked, it would be a real possibility. Even if he wasn't at work, he is representing the club at all times as he is a public figure. Even though he wouldn't be that well known, he represents the club & as such this is a very negative look to the public.

If I (or you) are in uniform leaving work, walking around the city or something like that & say something highly offensive/do something aggressive etc, if that's reported to your work I don't fancy the chances of keeping a job if it's grounds for termination.

It's good he's just been stood down & the club will support him, but by that it wouldn't surprise me if part of that is preparing for life after footy as well
At least he was conscious, Libratore wasn't sacked when he was found in possession of illegal substances.

I'm assuming you called for him to be sacked at the time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is your definition of a large quantity? Possession is defined in law as a small quantity. If he had a large quantity he would have been charged with a much more serious offence. Lets not let the facts get in the way of character assination and denigration of a young man shall we.

Haha chill out, I said that's what my understanding was. A simple "no that's not the case" would have sufficed.

Mod edit: No need to bring up another poster here.

Last edited by a moderator:
As we are heading into rumour and innuendo territory once again, we have decided to close this thread for the time being until more information comes to hand, otherwise we will just be going round in circles. The speculation can be left to the rumours board. We will re-open the thread as soon as there are any new developments. Please PM us if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back