News Mike Sheahan has a swipe at Gary Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

An utterly ridiculous piece. Ablett’s form has dipped but lets see who is playing on the last Saturday in September and playing the game of his life?

I have absolutely no concerns about Ablett at all. He is going through a tough patch but he is not injured and surely no one can question his ability or desire?

Same goes for Steve Johnson, Corey and Ling, who have been a bit below their best. They’ll be fine, that’s why I think this season is far from done.

Mike is one of the league's most reactionary writers really. Just last week Judd was thrashed by, of all people, Levi Greenwood, and he was saying that Judd might not make the AA team. Gaz is certainly out of form, but for my money he is carrying a bit of an injury. There's no doubting that opposition tactics have forced him to handball it more, and he does go back to lend a hand quite often at the moment, but that's part of the way the team is playing.

You only have to watch last year's Grand Final to see Ablett's commitment to the Geelong Football Club

No Brownlow votes at stake, he was easily your best player and unlucky not to win the Norm Smith

How many games have we lost with Ablett, Bartel, Chappy, Corey, Kelly and Johnson all available? If we play like crap with all those fit and firing, then WE ARE GONE.The pressure on Ablett diminishes greatly with Chappy and Kelly available.

i prefer the ablett that would burst out of the pack and then deliver it lace out - last year. not running around receiving cheap handballs in defence

Sheahan had a valid point. I was at the game, and thought Ablett had very little impact all night. Maybe it's because his tagger did a great job, maybe the rest of the team didn't help him out enough, but IMO the end result was a very poor game from Ablett. I thought he didn't put in the effort to tackle with conviction all night, and I've noticed it in the last couple of weeks. In contrast Judd worked his butt off and successfully shook off Ling quite a few times to have damaging possessions. The comparison was inevitable. (Did anyone see the ch 7 footage at the start of the coverage?)

I don't buy into the 'Ablett is playing for Brownlow' debate. The guy looked notably disappointed when Bartel claimed the medal in '07, but if you've seen the heartbreak on his face after last year's Grand Final you couldn't possibly accuse the guy of playing for anything other than another Premiership medal. And how is he thinking about the Brownlow when he's form is obviously down? (Someone will have to explain this claim to me, because I seem to be missing the point.)

The other thing is, Ablett's been playing a lot more in the forward line. Whether it's all part of Bomber's plan B, or maybe Ablett has an injury remains to be seen. I'm not qualified to coach, but I get the feeling his form is down as a result of too much time in the forward line. It's great to have Ablett in the forward line when he's on fire, because he manages to kick goals from seemingly nowhere. But he clearly does his best work in the centre clearances, and it just seems to me that not putting him in the thick of the action has hurt his momentum a bit. Of course I'm not privy to the internal workings of the club, and Bomber would have his reasons for having Ablett there. (i.e. Maybe he's in the forward line because Bomber's noticed a drop in form.) Just my two cents.

I might slash my wrists, not worth going on after hearing from Walls on ONE tonight that 39,2,21,45 & 11 are finished, I guess you are only as good as your last game Lingy, must forget the 2 before that

I might slash my wrists, not worth going on after hearing from Walls on ONE tonight that 39,2,21,45 & 11 are finished, I guess you are only as good as your last game Lingy, must forget the 2 before that
Are you sure you have your numbers right??????

Seriously Walls is a knob, but the only way to shut people like these up is getting out there and showing them there wrong. Its only a matter of time.

Are you sure you have your numbers right??????

Seriously Walls is a knob, but the only way to shut people like these up is getting out there and showing them there wrong. Its only a matter of time.

Am I ever wrong:rolleyes: skip that,

one had red hair, the other is a family member....am I right:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robert Walls is officially a knob if he thinks Corey and Ling are finished. Both have had great years. Milburn was considered a All Australian chance only a month or so back. Mooney is frustrating the hell out of me this year and is hard to make a case for but will be an important part of our team come finals time. Harley needs Scarlett and Taylor in the side. Is an extremly important player but can be exposed when they are missing.

All this crap will look very amusing in 7 weeks tine

Far be it for me to defend Walls, but in fairness he did give us the credit for being the pacesetters over the last four years. He’s also said he loves our style of play. He was basically saying tonight that the players mentioned are coming to the end of their careers and they can’t do the things they could a year or two ago. With the exception of Lingy, I reckon that’s probably close to the mark.

Far be it for me to defend Walls, but in fairness he did give us the credit for being the pacesetters over the last four years. He’s also said he loves our style of play. He was basically saying tonight that the players mentioned are coming to the end of their careers and they can’t do the things they could a year or two ago. With the exception of Lingy, I reckon that’s probably close to the mark.

So should we wait until the end of the year to retire Joel Corey or send him back to Perth now:rolleyes:

I didn't bother watching tonight once I found out Eddie was going to be on.Did Walls sink the boots into Harley and Milburn again ?
They were 2 of our better players on friday night.

I didn't bother watching tonight once I found out Eddie was going to be on.Did Walls sink the boots into Harley and Milburn again ?

Yeh, you forgot Moons:D watch the 1st 10mins. funny thing was when Tom was on there the other week he didn't tell him to his face. I thought Tom played well on Betts the other night, did stuff all.

They showed a bit of bomber at the dinner, as did OTC, Walls thought it was a sign of going under although Quarters loved it

What a wise man! As soon as Eddie Know-all appeared, I disappeared.

I didn't take it as Walls sinking the boots in. He was just drawing attention to where they are in their careers. I know he's a knob, but I don't reckon he was over the top tonight.

So Sheahan writes a critique of Gary Ablett Jr when he has an ordinary night,when the more newsworthy issue was Carlton finally beating you guys after how many seasons.
As happy as I am with the win ,we all know that wasn't Geelong or Ablett's best,so I would ignore said article.
What summed it up for me was the vision of Bomber during the game.I've never seen a coach so bored,and he looked like he couldn't give a toss about losing to Carlton.
Good luck to you all,the Cats are far from done with this season!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back