Mike Sheahans post season Top 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Heaps of fun said, not the most inspiring top 25 players for a season, would be interesting to compare it to say 2009/2010 where without going back and looking I'd guess the list would be a lot stronger
2009 top 50

1 - Gary Ablett (Geelong)
2 - Chris Judd (Carlton)
3 - Lance Franklin (Hawthorn)
4 - Dean Cox (West Coast)
5- Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)
6 - Brendan Fevola (Carlton)
7 - Jonathan Brown (Brisbane)
8 - Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)
9- Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle)
10 - Matthew Scarlett (Geelong)

11 - Jimmy Bartel (Geelong)
12- Simon Black (Brisbane)
13 -Adam Cooney (Western Bulldogs)
14 -Joel Corey (Geelong)
15- Matthew Richardson (Richmond)
16- Brent Harvey (North )
17- Adam Goodes (Sydney)
18 - Shaun Burgoyne (Port)
19 - Daniel Kerr (West Coast)
20 - Chad Cornes (Port)

21 - Darren Glass (West Coast)
22- Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
23 - Dale Morris (Western Bulldogs)
24- Cameron Ling (Geelong)
25 - Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
26- Sam Fisher (St Kilda)
27 - Joel Selwood (Geelong)
28- Brad Sewell (Hawthorn)
29- Steve Johnson (Geelong)
30- Luke Power (Brisbane)

31- Alan Didak (Collingwood)
32 - Ryan O'Keefe (Sydney)
33- Brad Ottens (Geelong)
34 - Daniel Bradshaw (Brisbane)
35- Paul Chapman (Geelong)
36 - Nathan Bock (Adelaide)
37 -Dane Swan (Collingwood)
38- Jarad McVeigh (Sydney)
39 - Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
40- Simon Goodwin (Adelaide)

41- Brett Deledio (Richmond)
42- Ryan Griffen (Western Bulldogs)
43- Travis Cloke (Collingwood)
44- Brendon Goddard (St Kilda)
45 - Chance Bateman (Hawthorn)
46 - Drew Petrie (North)
47- Cyril Rioli (Hawks)
48 - Kane Cornes (Port)
49 - Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)
50 - Bryce Gibbs (Carlton)

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25190069-19742,00.html

Rance apparently so good he makes top 3 ( :drunk: ), but then no other defender can get a gig in the 25?
Daniher over Buddy and Kennedy is criminal, sidebottom didn't even crack the AA squad but apparently he's top 10?

Yeah good mike
Yep, thats exactly right. Rance miles ahead of the 2nd best defender and one of the best players in the league.

Seb Ross top 25???? Sidebottom top 10???? Surely mike is trolling. Ross is a good honest battler and Sidebottom wouldn't be a starting midfielder in his team (Adams treloar and Pendlebury). Retire again mike.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seb Ross top 25???? Sidebottom top 10???? Surely mike is trolling. Ross is a good honest battler and Sidebottom wouldn't be a starting midfielder in his team (Adams treloar and Pendlebury). Retire again mike.

Ross finished 8th in the coaches votes and made the AA squad of 40.

25th best player in the comp is up for legitimate debate.

But not the fact that he is a good AFL player with some elite ball use.

That you call him a battler shows you to be 2 years out of date.

Sidebottom way too high, as good a player as he is I agree.

1. Dustin Martin

2. Patrick Dangerfield

3. Alex Rance

4. Josh Kelly

5. Matt Crouch

6. Tom Mitchell

7. Rory Sloane

8. Joe Daniher

9. Steele Sidebottom

10. Josh Kennedy (WC)

11. Lance Franklin

12. Callan Ward

13. Trent Cotchin

14. Marcus Bontempelli

15. Josh Kennedy (Syd)

16. Dayne Zorko

17. Clayton Oliver

18. Sam Jacobs

19. Ben Brown

20. Patrick Ryder

21. Sebastian Ross

22. Jeremy Howe

23. Luke Parker

24. Mitch Duncan

25. Adam Treloar

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/08/mike-sheahans-post-season-top-25/

There are some players on this list that aren't in the top 2 or 3 players at their own club so how they are best 25 in the comp is mind boggling.

Nice troll Mikey.

Maybe he based it over the whole season instead of just the one game?

Err ... you reckon? o_O

Sorry. My post was addendum to the knowledge that most pundits had the All Australian ruck spot as a battle between Ryder and Kreuzer. I didn’t think I had to point out the obvious, but here you are, proving me wrong.

I've always thought these lists were purely on the season form? Purely on 2017, Kelly, Crouch and Mitchell has better seasons than all of them.

Did they? The second two got a lot more touches but that alone doesn't make a better season. I think on 2017 alone, Zorko would surely have an argument to be considered in that first bracket but he is hard to place because he plays in such a bad team lol. It's hard to rank someone who, though undoubtedly very good, sometimes absolutely brilliant, isn't necessarily going to change the result, because his team generally loses anyway.

As for the other three:
JPK: Seemed really good in the games he played but missed a few games - how much do you mark down players for missing games completely versus playing poorly in the games they do play.
Selwood: Same with JPK. Had a really good year in the games he played but (1) he missed a few games (2) started in a couple of games that he didn't finish, one he got knocked out in the first minute against Freo and then the Sydney game - thereby, (3) making his averages not look as good as they were in reality (he was averaging around 29 disposals per game about the halfway point of the season, and was statistically as good as he's ever been, top of the coaches MVP at one point etc., but I feel that due to his public perception by fans for ducking and his injury-riddled second half of the season, in 2017 he was marked down rather harshly)
Sloane: I would argue he was better than all of those 3, if, he didn't get tagged out of those matches mid-season. That really dropped how people perceived his season. He was everyone's no. 1 the first few weeks and at one point would have been an AA lock. But he didn't even make the team! Big fan of his but can understand why he was rated down a bit.

Yep, thats exactly right. Rance miles ahead of the 2nd best defender and one of the best players in the league.

He's not miles ahead of Mcgovern.

Put Rance at 3, fine - but then don't include any other pure defenders - tokenism at its best.

Lever's getting ~800k and defence wins premierships. We already have the brownlow Sheehan, try a bit harder.

He's not miles ahead of Mcgovern.

Put Rance at 3, fine - but then don't include any other pure defenders - tokenism at its best.

Lever's getting ~800k and defence wins premierships. We already have the brownlow Sheehan, try a bit harder.

If I was picking a team from scratch I'd pick:

1. Rance
2. Dusty
3. Dangerfield

Rance is the GOAT defender and highly underrated by about 50% of the fans, while the other 50% witness his greatness and know how good he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back