More at stake for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

And here we are again.

When is the afl community going to get over the generational concept?
Most of Sydney's gun players are in their mid 20s ffs.

It seems that at every possible juncture, people start looking for the next gun young side, or reasons a good side can't stay where they are. It happened in 2004 - Brisbane were still good enough to make a grand final and Sydney and West Coast were on the verge of a run of success - all the whisper was about the young geelong and St Kilda sides. Meanwhile the Eagles, swans, pies and Hawks were putting together premiership teams, and St Kilda missed out altogether. Cats lose a preliminary final in 2010, they're gone and the Pies have a dynasty at their feet. Hawks lose 2011 prelim and 2012 GF and they've cooked their chance. Look how all that worked out for everyone.

Can we just appreciate what is in front of us until it isn't there anymore?

Rohan, Allir, McVeigh? Anyone else? Even still that's a lot. They'd want to be absolutely tip top. You'd hate to have even one of those 3 play and not be up to it.
Rohan a 'injury' was a short term trauma to the plate in his leg. Hurts like crazy at the time but very quickly back to normal with full function.

Mcveigh is a low grade calf strain which ordinarily should heal in the two weeks he's had. He was, after all, close to inclusion for the prelim.

Aliir has a low grade strain to his medial. No structural nor stability damage to his knee. He just needs to get over the discomfort and eradicate pain. Whether he can do in 1 week is questionable. I therefore think he is doubtful

Good point, especially with all the media attention they will be getting. A loss would hurt us more than it would hurt the Dogs though.

Not sure about that either - what if it is another 55 years before they make another Grand Final? If any team knows that it must take its chances it the Dogs.

This loss will hurt both as much as each other. Grand Finals are horrible to lose.

Nah.
Swans listened to the koolaid in 2014. This year we will just play the game and see what happens. Bullies have had the wool over us the last two games so hopefully we have learnt our lesson.

Should be a great game.

And here we are again.

When is the afl community going to get over the generational concept?
Most of Sydney's gun players are in their mid 20s ffs.

It seems that at every possible juncture, people start looking for the next gun young side, or reasons a good side can't stay where they are. It happened in 2004 - Brisbane were still good enough to make a grand final and Sydney and West Coast were on the verge of a run of success - all the whisper was about the young geelong and St Kilda sides. Meanwhile the Eagles, swans, pies and Hawks were putting together premiership teams, and St Kilda missed out altogether. Cats lose a preliminary final in 2010, they're gone and the Pies have a dynasty at their feet. Hawks lose 2011 prelim and 2012 GF and they've cooked their chance. Look how all that worked out for everyone.

Can we just appreciate what is in front of us until it isn't there anymore?
My OP relates to opportunity. Swans have been here 3/5 years, winning 1 thus far. Top of the table in 14 and lost, straight sets 15, top of the table 16.

Because I feel the Swans have far more. Swans losing on Saturday will be 1/3 over 5 premierships decided. You've had a top 4 list since 2012.
I get your point but we won in 2012. 2013 and 2015 fell apart with injuries and Buddy dropping out at finals time. 2014 was a legit missed opportunity. This year was meant to be a rebuild year so to make the GF and actually go in as favourite I think has come as a bit of a surprise for a lot of Swans fans. I know we have a lot of top shelf talent but the team is also full of first year kids now too.

Rohan a 'injury' was a short term trauma to the plate in his leg. Hurts like crazy at the time but very quickly back to normal with full function.

Mcveigh is a low grade calf strain which ordinarily should heal in the two weeks he's had. He was, after all, close to inclusion for the prelim.

Aliir has a low grade strain to his medial. No structural nor stability damage to his knee. He just needs to get over the discomfort and eradicate pain. Whether he can do in 1 week is questionable. I therefore think he is doubtful
Who comes in for Allir? Richards?

I hate these arguments.

Yeah Sydney are probably heading towards the end of their premiership window but I doubt it's a 1 year window and they've shown they can rebuild quickly. They've had some help with the academy and some luck with free agents, that's for another time, but there's no reason they can't do it again.

They've been consistently good since Roos took over. Changing Presidents, coaches and whole bunch of players over that time.

A premiership counts as much for either team. Every team is out to win one.

Maybe the Dogs get thrashed and can justify it that they are young and injured and it wasn't their year. Maybe the Swans get smashed and realise they just didn't have the depth this year playing a lot of young players as well. But more than likely I think it will be a close game and whichever team loses will regret a missed opportunity.

The talk, as predicted, has been the feel good story which is the Western Bulldogs. A huge achievement to turn the club around in such little time, to make a GF, and to make it from 7th. A lot of fans have been set up to fail, but you can't help but think if they don't win that they'll be a force again in 17. They're young, confident, skilled, and well coached. Time on their side, for now.

Sydney on the other hand were the star side of 2014, coming back from a Premiership in 12 with the old guard and a preliminary Final in 13. They added the best player to their war chest and Tippett, an attractive and mobile tall forward/ruck. They built for the short term success. Understandable. It's looked like its paying off.

But on reflection, if they don't win another flag with Kennedy, Hannebery, McVeigh, Jack, Parker, Grundy, Rohan, Franklin, and Tippett, you can't help but feel they've missed out. Making a GF is hard, winning one harder. If they don't win on Saturday I think there will be serious pressure going forward to get back in contention. Competition will be fiercer from developing clubs, and the Sydney list will be getting older.

I think the pressure is equally on the Swans here, and a failure on Saturday after a top of the table finish would cast some doubts going forward for the clubs next short term flag tilt. All those players I mentioned need to move up a gear on Saturday, and need to prove they can deliver on the biggest stage.

It's a Grand Final!
Both clubs have plenty at stake.
Just remind me again, why everyone is excessively jumping up & down about the Bulldogs being in the GF!
That's right! Because they haven't played in one for 50 or so years!
If they cough this one up (or even if they win), it can easily be another eternity before they get in one again, let alone win one.

Same goes for us.
We at least have a couple flags from 5 GFs over the last 20 years, with this sixth attempt coming this week.

Make no mistake, the Dogs can't let this long awaited attempt go! They MUST win now that they're in!
It will be heartbreak for many Dog supporters if they let this one slip!

Not sure about that either - what if it is another 55 years before they make another Grand Final? If any team knows that it must take its chances it the Dogs.

This loss will hurt both as much as each other. Grand Finals are horrible to lose.
For the fans yeah, but in terms of where the clubs are positioned I think a loss would be worse for us.

It would be the 2nd time in 3 years we've lost a grand final as huge favourites, and it would place serious pressure on us to win a premiership in 2017.

Whereas for the Dogs just making this GF this is an incredible result and even if they lose it will give them confidence heading into next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Rohan played pretty well last week so he appears ok. I think the perception is higher with the Swans injuries as two players have looked like they did year ending knees and your captain looked like he did a nasty calf. All might be ok.

To the OP's original point, the pressure is on Sydney. Dogs have been written off many times this year after losing their captain, losing Crameri preseason, losing Wallis, losing Redpath. Yet they still keep coming. But they are coming from 7th so surely there is not too much pressure. The 50/60 year thing is irrelevant - that is not these players fault.

This premiership was always going to be won by the team who was fit and healthy and in form in September and the Dogs are certainly that. So they are every chance.

Pressure is on the billionaires though.

Pressure is on the Swans because they are deserved favorites and have been the best team all year. Talk of their window closing is madness, they have a lot of young players. Will take a while before the impact of playing under the same salary cap as everyone else starts to bite.

Sydney legitimately have one of the best young teams in the comp. People have spent so much time talking about the youth of GWS, Dogs, Demons and others that few have acknowledged just how brilliant the Swans recruiting has been.
They'll have a few good chances after this.
Heeney and Mills get the headlines but the kids we have found from low draft picks and rookie listing has been incredible. I was buying into the fact that we lacked depth but we had all these rough diamonds sitting in the twos that have come through and adapted incredibly well to senior footy.

Last edited:
My OP relates to opportunity. Swans have been here 3/5 years, winning 1 thus far. Top of the table in 14 and lost, straight sets 15, top of the table 16.

Any GF is a missed oportunity and absolutely there is no doubt that the swans will have some regrets if they lose on Saturday on top of what has already transpired in previous years but they aren't going anywhere. Gws and the dogs are the only sides I can see logically bumping them down a notch next season

Heeney and Mills get the headlines but the kids we have found from low draft picks and rookie listing has been incredible. I was buying into the fact that we lacked depth but we had all these rough diamonds sitting into the twos that have come through and adapted incredibly well to senior footy.
Most of your picks have been incredible drafting. Parker, Hannabry, Jack, Rampe, Paply, Aliir, the list just goes on. Plus great trading - Kenndedy, Buddy, tippet, etc.

I can't see Sydney not continuing to be a powerhouse.

And best of all, drafting of this quality couldn't possibly be put down to COLA or handouts like so many often claim. This is just a club being incredibly well run.

Most of your picks have been incredible drafting. Parker, Hannabry, Jack, Rampe, Paply, Aliir, the list just goes on. Plus great trading - Kenndedy, Buddy, tippet, etc.

I can't see Sydney not continuing to be a powerhouse.

And best of all, drafting of this quality couldn't possibly be put down to COLA or handouts like so many often claim. This is just a club being incredibly well run.
Similar to Hawthorn. There was the myth about high draft picks and free agency but you built the team through some very smart trading.

Oh my God! I'm in a mutual appreciation conversation with a Hawthorn supporter. We're through the looking glass people!

It's a Grand Final!
Both clubs have plenty at stake.
Just remind me again, why everyone is excessively jumping up & down about the Bulldogs being in the GF!
That's right! Because they haven't played in one for 50 or so years!
If they cough this one up (or even if they win), it can easily be another eternity before they get in one again, let alone win one.

Same goes for us.
We at least have a couple flags from 5 GFs over the last 20 years, with this sixth attempt coming this week.

Make no mistake, the Dogs can't let this long awaited attempt go! They MUST win now that they're in!
It will be heartbreak for many Dog supporters if they let this one slip!
Indeed its a GF

When a team comes out during GF week with a "we have nothing to lose" theme, you know thats BS.

Thankfully neither done that (yet)

The talk, as predicted, has been the feel good story which is the Western Bulldogs. A huge achievement to turn the club around in such little time, to make a GF, and to make it from 7th. A lot of fans have been set up to fail, but you can't help but think if they don't win that they'll be a force again in 17. They're young, confident, skilled, and well coached. Time on their side, for now.

Sydney on the other hand were the star side of 2014, coming back from a Premiership in 12 with the old guard and a preliminary Final in 13. They added the best player to their war chest and Tippett, an attractive and mobile tall forward/ruck. They built for the short term success. Understandable. It's looked like its paying off.

But on reflection, if they don't win another flag with Kennedy, Hannebery, McVeigh, Jack, Parker, Grundy, Rohan, Franklin, and Tippett, you can't help but feel they've missed out. Making a GF is hard, winning one harder. If they don't win on Saturday I think there will be serious pressure going forward to get back in contention. Competition will be fiercer from developing clubs, and the Sydney list will be getting older.

I think the pressure is equally on the Swans here, and a failure on Saturday after a top of the table finish would cast some doubts going forward for the clubs next short term flag tilt. All those players I mentioned need to move up a gear on Saturday, and need to prove they can deliver on the biggest stage.
I think and hope it will be a cracker. I cant see swans getting stage shock again. Dogs will go hard and fast. Just hope dogs dont get too affected by the build up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back