General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

I am not an Essendon fan but this annoys me if it’s a politically motivated reason for change.

What about the demons the religious types must be offended by that?

Grow up everyone it’s a name of a sporting club, it is about the club nothing else and attached to that is positive history.

Until this thread I don't think I'd ever found anyone over the age of 14 who liked the current iteration of our logo. So I really don't think it's politically motivated, it's more "who would like a different/better logo?"

Of course the opinion on that may depend on how you view the Herald Sun...

So Essendon PR/marketing come up with an idea to test the waters for a refresh of the "brand" and nekminnit some media turnips start screeching "woke, woke, woke " whilst ringing a bell through the streets? Is there even any evidence at all this is politically motivated?
I'm so over this partisan politics crap.

Imagine my surprise to see I’d already posted in this thread… 13 years ago. Now imagine my horror to see that I’d used the phrase “rocks my jocks” about a club logo. Such an embarrassing time.

My current stance on all this nonsense is that I really enjoy the fact Matthew Lloyd is seething at the idea of changing the nickname/logo.

Imagine my surprise to see I’d already posted in this thread… 13 years ago. Now imagine my horror to see that I’d used the phrase “rocks my jocks” about a club logo. Such an embarrassing time.
You were only wearing jeans and thongs, listening to Kings Of Leon and watching Hamish and Andy specials like everyone else, don't be too hard on yourself

So Essendon PR/marketing come up with an idea to test the waters for a refresh of the "brand" and nekminnit some media turnips start screeching "woke, woke, woke " whilst ringing a bell through the streets? Is there even any evidence at all this is politically motivated?
I'm so over this partisan politics crap.

Pretty much. The hooplah around all of it has been overblown, certain right wing snowflakes, cookers and bigots are purposely distorting the circumstances and weaponising the potential refresh to drive their own narratives, all while jumping at shadows.

Doesn't bother me if we change our logo or not, although I'd lean towards a refresh and can see why people would want to. The logo itself is a little dated and some may think a clean slate from a branding and marketing perspective could be one of the final stages of a true reset coming out of the saga.

I can see a situation where the club has the Bomber/Plane on official imagery have a reduced presence and not completely remove it, while highlighting other elements instead.

Also vaguely remember a slightly updated paper plane swirling around Zac in a post put out by the club when his recent contract extension was announced. Probably a one off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shoot Minions GIF
Barham takes aim....

I am not an Essendon fan but this annoys me if it’s a politically motivated reason for change.

What about the demons the religious types must be offended by that?

Grow up everyone it’s a name of a sporting club, it is about the club nothing else and attached to that is positive history.

True to an extent, we're not called the Redskins or Indians.

I think a form of plane will always be on our logo.

The remarkable part of this is that it shows how irrelevant 90% of the clubs are that we took over the airwaves with a marketing survey to learn what our fans want.
Imagine if norf, suns, gws or freo etc did this… none one would give a toss

I don’t know if this makes me stupid but I’d want to see an official alternative logo before deciding to get rid of the current one. I have no issue with the club reviewing it though.

Back