Most well known AFL players?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Swert

Premiership Player
May 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I imagine that most Bigfooty posters can name hundreds of AFL players, but which players would be the most well known by non-fans?

For example, I am not an NRL fan, but through news coverage and occasional viewing I can still name a few players - Slater, Hayne, Thurston etc.

The most well known may not be the best players, some legends keep a fairly low profile.

My guess would be names like Ablett, Franklin, NicNat and Dangerfield.

Past players would include Sam Newman, Goodes, Judd, Capper...

Thoughts?

Coming from NRL territory I reckon that at the moment there's only two genuine household names. 90% of Australians you meet on the street will have heard of Gary Ablett (his dad helps this) and Buddy Franklin.

The next most well known would likely be Dusty Martin who is on the way up. The likes of Nic Nat, Eddie Betts and Dangerfield are quite well known but many wouldn't have a clue who they are. Many have also often heard of Luke hodge and also the names Riewoldt and Rioli (but they won't be able to discern between the different players with that last name, they'll just recognise the name). Boomer was probably the only widely recognised player North have had in a while but I know that he never reached that household name status in the northern states. Even people we think of as superstars (Fyfe, Selwood, Pendlebury, both Kennedy's) will surprisingly draw blank looks from many.

But I reckon that over the last 20 years there were many more players who reached household name status everywhere in Australia and maybe the AFL needs to do a better job of promoting its top superstars.

Pretty much every Australian has heard of these guys (although on reflection some major controversies definitely have helped with almost all of these guys):
- Ben Cousins
- Chris Judd
- Plugger Lockett
- Wayne Carey
- Adam Goodes
- Barry hall
- Jason Akamannis
- James hird
- Brendan Fevola

The next most well known would likely be Dusty Martin who is on the way up.

Would Dusty be that well known?

He obviously had a break through year this year on field, but most non-fans wouldn't care about that.

At least Dangerfield had a lengthy contract/trade dispute that made the news...and a more unique name.

Would Dusty be that well known?

He obviously had a break through year this year on field, but most non-fans wouldn't care about that.

At least Dangerfield had a lengthy contract/trade dispute that made the news...and a more unique name.

Well I'd argue that "Dusty" Martin is a fairly memorable name. And Martin also had a massive protracted contract saga including a Le Bron style live tv announcement of his decision and then a 1.3 million dollar contract. Following this he won the Brownlow and then he won the Grand final and the Norm Smith. Certainly been in the news and headlines. And do not underestimate his appearance. The hair-style, the tatts - that draws immediate attention. he's not at the level of Ablett or Franklin but he's on the way up there and he's a marketers dream.

Jake Stringer because every 2nd mum follows his ex on instagram.
I saw that on the weekend actually.

HTF does she have 100k followers? what does she do? other than tarnish the father of her kids and talk about her fake t***ies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw that on the weekend actually.

HTF does she have 100k followers? what does she do? other than tarnish the father of her kids and talk about her fake t***ies?

Mummy Blogger & Life Coach... ie the job housewives do when they dont want to call themselves a housewife.

Mummy Blogger & Life Coach... ie the job housewives do when they dont want to call themselves a housewife.
lol.

Do they make any money off this stupid s**t?

Carey. That story was everywhere - I wasn’t living in Melbourne then but it didn’t matter. I remember people who didn’t follow AFL commenting on the fact that the story was so huge, given the greater number of NSW people don’t give a stuff about AFL.

Coming from NRL territory I reckon that at the moment there's only two genuine household names. 90% of Australians you meet on the street will have heard of Gary Ablett (his dad helps this) and Buddy Franklin.

The next most well known would likely be Dusty Martin who is on the way up. The likes of Nic Nat, Eddie Betts and Dangerfield are quite well known but many wouldn't have a clue who they are. Many have also often heard of Luke hodge and also the names Riewoldt and Rioli (but they won't be able to discern between the different players with that last name, they'll just recognise the name). Boomer was probably the only widely recognised player North have had in a while but I know that he never reached that household name status in the northern states. Even people we think of as superstars (Fyfe, Selwood, Pendlebury, both Kennedy's) will surprisingly draw blank looks from many.

But I reckon that over the last 20 years there were many more players who reached household name status everywhere in Australia and maybe the AFL needs to do a better job of promoting its top superstars.

Pretty much every Australian has heard of these guys (although on reflection some major controversies definitely have helped with almost all of these guys):
- Ben Cousins
- Chris Judd
- Plugger Lockett
- Wayne Carey
- Adam Goodes
- Barry hall
- Jason Akamannis
- James hird
- Brendan Fevola
This + Nick Riewoldt too

Asked wife.

Selwood - No
Dangerfield - No
Ablett - Heard of him, woudn't recognise
Lance Franklin - No
Buddy - Heard of him, woudn't recognise
Natanui - No
Wayne Carey - No
He slept with his teamates wife - Oh yes I know him

Won't find an Australian less interested in AFL then her.

Ablett and Buddy would be top two then most recognised. Suprised you wouldn't recall the name Dangerfield though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back