Expansion National second-tier league, Foxtel the broadcaster

Remove this Banner Ad

TP86

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Link removed

AFL again way out in front of competing codes when it comes to second-tier and pathway competitions. As a aussie rules/soccer fan in equal measure it makes me shake my head in dismay that one code can dominate so thoroughly while the other lags sadly behind.

AFL again way out in front of competing codes when it comes to second-tier and pathway competitions. As a aussie rules/soccer fan in equal measure it makes me shake my head in dismay that one code can dominate so thoroughly while the other lags sadly behind.

Rugby League has had their U/20s on Foxtel for three years now so really AFL is just catching up.

Hadn't thought about the ABC angle .
Fox is trying to muscle in on some good ratings of the ABC .
The WAFL still gets very healthy ratings .
Why can't they play at different times ?

No, that is a junior comp. This is for senior age teams from all state based comps around the nation. RL is not in the picture with this sort of set up (pun intended:p)

It's their second-tier league and why be national when you can be multinational :D

Really?

That's certainly been well marketed........

Gets higher ratings then A-league matches and most Super 14 ones too.

Rugby League has had their U/20s on Foxtel for three years now so really AFL is just catching up.

But isn't that state based .The Sydney Football(AR) League has the same deal in NSW etc .

This is a national second tier competition , shown nationally .
Good vehicle for a NZ or PNG side !

I keep thinking that this is a reserves comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is a great idea but does have some downfalls to it.

For example unless you are a member of the Eagles or Dockers you would not be able to go and watch your local team Swan Districts play in their game.
Basically it is not going to include the local following of those clubs which is pretty poor.

But I guess without foxtel this could not go ahead either so it makes it tough.

I think the whole comp would have far more appeal if they played at their local grounds and in front of their own members and supporters.

Would also of been better if the AFL had nothing to do with this and let the state leagues run it with Foxtel.

By the same token it is good exposure for the second tier league players.

Channel 9 news tonight had a report by Cory Norris and he said that the 3 SANFL teams have pulled out. He sited the reason were, this competition would get in the way of them winning the SANFL premiership, the $180,000 dollar prize money was insufficient and basically all this was, was a glorified practice match for GWS and to get them ready for 2012 and their debut AFL season.

Not sure where this leaves things as the report also said the SANFL were in discussion with other clubs to take their place. But having the 3 SANFL does give this some much needed creditability.

Yawn.

Its only a 15 game knockout tournament with clubs who will be focused on winning hteir state leagues. Its not a real comp.

If this was a propper season-long comp complete with relegation and promotion between itself and the state leagues, then yeah amazing. But it's not.

Yawn.

Its only a 15 game knockout tournament with clubs who will be focused on winning hteir state leagues. Its not a real comp.

If this was a propper season-long comp complete with relegation and promotion between itself and the state leagues, then yeah amazing. But it's not.

It's basically a premier's playoff .
It's a big step in the plus direction.
You never know where it might lead .
Maybe it would be suitable for North ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back