NBA 2k11

Remove this Banner Ad

And as far as I know the trailer was just made up of spliced 2K11 game footage. Was just some NBA Finals special montage.

Another to add the list of frustrating shooters - Wesley Matthews' release is as slow as a wet week. :(

Wes is one of the worst shooters to play with. Patty's up there, and Harden's release is frustrating

Mama, there goes that man.

This is me.

70539_pet_1219176204.jpg

bowen_i.jpg

tumblr_l9n2ywOt8n1qd5ttfo1_400.jpg

2012-13 season in mp mode and shaq is still playing but now with the pacers. obviously not starting and averaging a paltry 1ppg.

makes a cameo in the 4th hitting 3 turnaround jump hooks from the shoulder of the free throw line and knocks down his free throws. what a joke.

The idea behind this year’s iteration of the franchise was to make a gameplay jump commensurate to that made between NBA 2K10 and NBA2K11 and it shows. For example, the post game was completely redesigned in last year’s game, yet the team felt the need to go back to the drawing board and shake things up once more. Now, pressing Y (or triangle) in the post is used for activating the post game, freeing up both triggers and the right stick. This opens up the post game entirely compared to last year’s game, as every single move in the game’s impressive arsenal suddenly becomes available to players in the post.

This newfound freedom effectively captures one of the leading tenets of NBA 2K12, which is making sure the gamer is the one scripting the actions and flow of a game, not canned animations. Accordingly, from the start of a shot, you will have control over what your player does. This includes things like switching hands in the air while attempting a layup and even deciding to kick out a pass right after committing to taking a shot. It’s all about putting control in the player’s hands.

The game’s AI has also seen a lot of tweaking. For example, the same zone defense scheme that the Dallas Mavericks used to best the Heat now plays much more smartly. One of the complaints about defensive players in last year’s game was their Spidey Sense-like ability to reach and arm out and deflect a pass without even looking. The team admitted that it was a band-aid meant to discourage players from running their player down court before their team was going to get a rebound and then having the rebounder pass the ball to the now-wide-open man down court. In NBA 2K12, issues like that have had time to be addressed much more thoroughly.
nba-xenon-0010-620x.jpg

The AI system has been completely rewritten to be more dynamic. In last year’s game, the AI would run specific plays, which could often lead to the player figuring out the plays and making the appropriate jumps on the ball over and over. Worse still, when the AI had its play snuffed out, they would default to a generic brand of basketball intelligence, defaulting to simple plays. The new system is now much more divergent, giving the AI more options if their primary options aren’t available. This keeps the players on their feet and makes the AI more of a challenge as well as more like a human opponent, which should do well to extend the life of the game.

I got to play as the NBA Champion Dallas Mavericks in the latest build of NBA 2K12 and played against the same Miami Heat team Dallas trumped in the NBA Finals earlier this year. Given my brief experience with NBA 2K11 going in, I was surprised by how quickly I was able to notice some of the gameplay changes made in NBA 2K12.

One of the things that stood out to me most during the game is the new physics engine, which handles all forms of contact, and reacts according to the situation. For example, shorter players will have a much tougher time out rebounding bigs, and player on player contact differs depending on whether the contact takes place in the air or on the ground. The other notable impact of this system is the newly implemented live ball physics. In last year’s game, the ball didn’t seem to go live often, and most players could keep a handle on it fairly easily. In 2K12, the ball can make contact with anything and react accordingly, leading to a lot more intense scrambles for possession.

The live ball physics forced me to watch my play style immediately because no longer could I make contact with people without paying careful attention to the ball. I lost handle of the ball a lot early on because I would be running down the court and I would basically dribble it off my own teammate inattentively -- something the game rarely accounted for in last year’s game. Not only did it help make me feel like I was playing a more accurate brand of basketball, but I got to experience some of those aforementioned intense scrambles for possession and they were exciting.
screen-620x.jpg

A lot of other subtle touches have been made that won’t be lost on fans of last year’s game. The entire first row of the crowd is now live. That is, it’s fully possible to interact with them; for example, diving into the first row while trying to keep the ball in bounds or having a lunging defensive player’s momentum take him over the scorer’s table. The facial animations and character models have all seen tweaks in the name of authentic player representation and the team was particularly happy with white players finally having a more realistic looking skin tone.
I was also pleasantly surprised to see a letter rating system (F, B+, etc.) pop up after taking shots. A high letter grade doesn’t always ensure a made bucket, nor does a low letter preclude a possible bucket, but the system rates both how well you took the shot and the quality of the shot itself. It would take into consideration if you were well defended or didn’t have your feet set. It’s a nice bit of immediate, tangible feedback that feels like it can be used to adjust your game accordingly. Speaking of adjusting your game, it also has a feature allowing you to adjust your play style on the fly, bypassing menus and keeping you in the action. With the system, you’ll be able to assign specific players a specific role, or quickly swap between playing philosophies (lock down the paint, pressure shooters, etc.), whether it’s just for the present play or for the rest of the game.

Thankfully, one of my few complaints with last year’s game has also been addressed. Refs no longer hold onto the ball for an inordinate amount of time when the player is taking the ball out or shooting free throws, which livens up the game’s pace by removing those occasional, jarring stops in the action where the player would mash the A button and scream at the ref to give them the damn ball.

A combination of reworked AI and an advancing physics engine actually made NBA 2K12 feel more fluid to me than last year’s game, despite 2K12 being so far out from release. If you’re a basketball fan, I think the only question left might just be “Which cover am I getting?”

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-nba-2k12-206628.phtml

If that's all as good as they say, I'll be straight onto it.

Getting your centre or PF a mismatch in the post and not being able to completely steamroll a guy you've got 10 inches and 80lbs on was ridiculous in the extreme - even more so when he grabs the rebound off you.

If that's all as good as they say, I'll be straight onto it.

Getting your centre or PF a mismatch in the post and not being able to completely steamroll a guy you've got 10 inches and 80lbs on was ridiculous in the extreme - even more so when he grabs the rebound off you.
I take it you were playing as Brook Lopez?

Nah happens all the time, My Player, association... just really annoying, munchkins are effective post defenders... let alone trying to defend the fast break to the basket, you're better off with a PG than a C/PF there... it's one little absurd annoyance.

Quick question guys, what is the deal with trades in my player? I am playing at Golden State Warriors and want to go to New York Knicks. The Knicks are also interested in me but I an not moving. What is going on?!?!

Did you select that you actually wanted to be traded?

If you did then just keep playing games (generally 4-6 games) and you will be traded at the end of a game.

Also you are not always going to goto the club you want. I've had a team interested in me and I had them as my 3 selections and got traded elsewhere.

Did you select that you actually wanted to be traded?

If you did then just keep playing games (generally 4-6 games) and you will be traded at the end of a game.

Also you are not always going to goto the club you want. I've had a team interested in me and I had them as my 3 selections and got traded elsewhere.

yeah I have played 11 games since requesting a trade but still nothing. Maybe the warriors just love me too much :) . I'll keep trying though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In My Player mode just like to give a shout out to Marreese Spieghts coming off the bench, the amount of times he hits a timely mid range shot when no other computer player can is strange and grabbing rebounds and gettting those put backs he is a bit of a jet.

For some reason I find in My Player the guys that are average mid range and 3pt shooters like 70 - 75 are way better at hitting open shots than your Kobe's and Lebron's.

For some reason I find in My Player the guys that are average mid range and 3pt shooters like 70 - 75 are way better at hitting open shots than your Kobe's and Lebron's.

In My Player mode I played against the Lakers and Kobe was hitting all kinds of shots in the first half ( he had 48 points at half time) but could not hit a single shot after half time. whenever he got the ball he would shoot and miss. He ended up with only 55 points shooting 41% FG with 96% FG first half.

before i hurl my ps3 controller into my tv is there anyway as a pf i can stop my **** wit guards (brandon jennings and 2 2nd year players) from jacking s**t shots.

they're all shooting 30% over the season and take bad shot after bad shot. even when plays are run for me they decide to jack the ball.

and for some reason the cpu coach thinks playing a injured ricardo jefferson over wendy matthews is a smart move.

Man kobe bryant is the worst for that.

Refused to pass to me once when i was completely open with 3 seconds left and ****sd up the 0.0 second shot to win the game with 3 defenders on him. :mad:

Refused to pass to me once when i was completely open with 3 seconds left and ****sd up the 0.0 second shot to win the game with 3 defenders on him. :mad:

had the same thing happen. 4.1 seconds left, 1 point down and steph curry has the ball, 3 defenders on him while I'm on my own. I pressed the 'x' button about 8 times but he shot anyway and missed

guess i better get a new game then.

2 games in the first round of the playoffs and jennings is shooting 20%, the two guard shooting 30% and the back up shooting 11%.

and they seem to refuse to play d.

other teams often shoot over 50% against me.

that just sounds like real life.

i was originally drafted by the nets and had to watch douche harris jack it up and play second fiddle to sexual favours for one and a half seasons. then requested a trade the day before the trade deadline to the bucks and got traded.

seems to be a quirk of the game (along with not engaging your opponent when backing you down, random assignments on transition d when you're actually running alongside your opponent, etc), guards jack s**t shots.

The CPU takes horrible shots no matter what position they are in. Also miss very easy wide open shots that you create for them. Looking at you Ron 'world peace' Artest....

The realism in this game is amazing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back