Preview NEAFL Northern Conference Grand Final - Brisbane Lions v NT Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lions Perspective....by Jorgo

Season 2012 saw the Brisbane Lions Senior side finish with a new sense of optimism for the future on the back of 10 wins for the year, a significant improvement over the last few seasons. It could be argued that it was the form of the Reserves side that helped lay the platform for that improvement with a number of fringe, and even debut, players stepping up from the Reserves into the Senior side in good form and having an immediate impact. It is therefore fitting that Season 2012 will end with the Reserves having a shot at bringing home the club's first Premiership since the Senior side won in 2003.

While there is no doubt a healthier overall list has helped the Reserves field a stronger side each week over previous years, the core credit must go to, apart from the players themselves, the coach. He has the boys playing a brand of football that is exciting to watch while also allowing each player to develop their game further, some in unexpected areas. There is no doubt the players have bought into what Nathan is trying to achieve and their on field performances have shown that it's working for them.

The way the boys have linked up this year whether it be through midfield combinations or rebounding from defensive 50 has resulted in a lot of scoring opportunities for what has become quite a potent forward line. The likes of Lisle, Cornelius & Skipper Retzlaff (prior to his devastating injury) certainly took full advantage with the side averaging a competition high 129.72 points per game.

The sides success has been laid on a consistent & solid performance across the side however, as opposed to being based purely on scoring potency. Defensively the Lions also topped the competition with the least amount of points scored against at 73.83 per game. The likes of Clarke, Wrigley, Stiller & Docherty regularly shut down opposition forward lines and impressed with their desperation in defence.

When you add to that attacking & defensive strength a midfield capable of winning their own ball, hurting the opposition with ferocious tackling & slinking forward to kick goals themselves it all adds up to a powerful season for the Reserves. The likes of Buchanan, Beams, Green, Karnezis, Polec & Bartlett have all had many moments this year that made you sit back and just go "wow".

They now deservedly line up for their shot at the title and face, in my opinion, clearly their toughest challenge in the competition, the NT Thunder. Having beaten them twice this year the team will head into the game confident that they can win, but the Thunder are a quality team who can never be under estimated.

I would encourage all BigFooty Lions supporters out there to head out to Yeronga this Sunday afternoon to celebrate what has been a tremendous season by our Reserves and, hopefully, a Grand Final victory!! GO LIONS!!

The Thunder Perspective.....by thoselionslads

Defending NEAFL champions NT Thunder travel to Brisbane this week in a bid to replicate their efforts of last year and win the club's second successive premiership. Unlike last season, the Thunder will come into the Grand Final without the benefit of a week off after easily accounting for Southport in the preliminary final. The significance of two weeks of travel will no doubt be a factor when the Territory come up against a fresh Lions outfit who have had the benefit of the weekend off.

Despite not boasting as much AFL experience as their opponents, the Thunder have plenty of quality players capable of causing headaches for Nathan Clarke and his coaching staff.

Here is a look at some key match ups that could very well determine the outcome of the game.

Ewing vs Clarke: If Clarke can do a similar job on Ewing as he did in Darwin two weeks ago, the Lions will win. Without doubt the best forward in the NEAFL, Ewing is dynamic on the lead, strong and kicks straight. It is important for the Lions midfield to make sure the ball carrier is pressured and harassed all day when delivering inside 50 or Clarke could have a long day ahead. Aerially, Clarke has Ewing covered, it is on the lead that Ewing could cause the Lions trouble.

Dignan: One of the top line midfielders in the comp. Wouldn't surprise me to see Clarke tag Dignan this saturday. At the very least, he has to be made accountable around the stoppages. Very good in close and has a great understanding with Tyrell. Crisp to Dignan would be my move.

Tapp vs Michael: Tapp has only played a few games this year after being injured earlier in the season. After a BOG performance in Darwin, Archer has to send his best defender to Michael. Tapp should be able to match Michael aerially and strength wise, however Michael's elite endurance will no doubt be hard for an underdone Tapp to control.

Roe vs Cornelius: Probably Roe's worst performance of the year in Darwin two weeks ago. Archer has to back his FB in here purely out of necessity. Thunder aren't blessed with height in their backline and Roe getting dominated in Darwin really threw their structure out of whack.

Tyrell vs Longer: Two most dominant big men in the comp. Longer probably won on points in Darwin but Tyrell is a top line experienced ruckman. The midfield battle is integral to the outcome of this contest - It all starts here.

Farrer: Real x-factor in this game for NT. Kicked 4 or 5 goals from memory in last year's GF so is a proven big game player. Still only young and should be on an AFL list. Has another chance to impress here. Not sure Lions have a match-up to stop his pure athleticism.

Anderson: GWS will pick him up later this year in the draft. Is a first round draft pick. One of the better players to come out of NT in a while. Close to complete package. Will be interesting to see how he goes in such a big game. Newell has gone head to head with him in the past and won but he ain't playing. Needs to be held accountable.

We get another preview for 2012, oh yeah!

PgvJj.gif

Thanks for organising the write up POBT. Really appreciate the efforts of the second's watchers week in and week out. thanks again for your insights Jorgo and thoselionslads.

Now all I have to do is work out how I can convince Mrs knaf I need to sit in front of the computer all Saturday afternoon.

Go LIONS

Great preview guys. Really looking forward to this one. And I am loving being able to handwrite everything on my new graphics pad LOL.

Hopefully it's a good contest on Sunday. Don't know how I'll cope afterwards with no footy.

Great preview guys.

I feel like Sunday might be closer than expected, but that could be put down to just paranoia. We should win.

I'm interested to see how we set up up forward this week with Lisle back. Is there any chance that Michael may move into defence, or will we just go with a three-tall up forward set-up?

Very interested to see how Bartlett goes. I reckon his chances of getting a one year extension probably rely on this game.

I'm excited, really enjoy local footy the few times I have gone and I'm looking forward to seeing the show piece of our state comp. Who's on the cards for the pre-match entertainment?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved the way you worked "The likes of" into your preview Jorgo though it would work better if you only listed 1 player ;)

I prefer to look at it as me doffing my lid to the originator of the phrase without blatantly ripping off his material ;)

My goal at half time of this match will be to find that commentator and see how many times I can slip 'the likes of' into conversation before he starts to notice that it's a little odd. I reckon 8.

My goal at half time of this match will be to find that commentator and see how many times I can slip 'the likes of' into conversation before he starts to notice that it's a little odd. I reckon 8.

0.jpg

Will be a great day at Yeronga this sunday. The ressies GF. Broadbeach against Aspley will be a high standard game, showcasing many young players that will attract talent scouts.
As of the major game, I think the Lions will win, and win by at least 5 goals plus, .. if not 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back