New Date for AGM

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn’t help when all “supporters” aren’t members

Don't think for a minute that I enjoy this or that it is a flippant position Leo.

I cannot in good conscience be a member of this club at the moment.

The money is unimportant.

Don't think for a minute that I enjoy this or that it is a flippant position Leo.

I cannot in good conscience be a member of this club at the moment.

The money is unimportant.

No doubt there are Hawthorn supporters who object to their football club making money from gaming venues and poker machines. There is nothing illegal about making money from poker machines, but in good conscience, they cannot support a club that makes that choice.

There are also supporters of our club who object to a football club making money from women's football, or from an entity that provides educational resources, and promotes social cohesion and community outreach among multicultural communities. There is nothing illegal about making money from women's football, or education, or social cohesion, or community outreach, or multiculturalism, but we must appreciate that there are people who cannot support a club that aligns itself with these types of opportunities.

Freedom of choice.

Clarity would be nice, but I'm not exactly losing sleep over it. Considering our means I highly bloody doubt it's possible that we could 'lose' a substantial amount due to it, and even if it was running at a minor loss I understand that it has value on multiple other fronts. Having some rock solid figures presented in a nice easy to read article/report wouldn't go amiss though. Hell there probably is one hidden away somewhere.

At the end of the day I understand why we have The Huddle, and the direct positive outcomes it delivers for the club (as well as those it delivers for the community at large, which I don't discount), but I do have some lingering curiosity about the exact figures we're talking about, assuming it is possible to quantify them. IMO a lot is hinging on the Arden redevelopment. If we end up gaining a bunch of footballing resources out of it, I think that result will largely come down to the Huddle and our general community mindedness, and I don't think many will be able to refute that with a straight face.
Pretty easy to find publicly available material: https://www.acnc.gov.au/charity/de4eafd68ddad26ae0d84ccba900c64a

Essentially the Huddle made a ~$418k profit in 2019 financial year (up nearly double on 2018). ~80% of revenue was from "Funding Grants" - presumably from various govt and philanthropic sources. No money from NMFC as such.

The conspiracy peddled by one poster on this forum that somehow The Huddle is a vehicle of the "woke" to divert NMFC away from men's football is ... well ... <speechless>

Pretty easy to find publicly available material: https://www.acnc.gov.au/charity/de4eafd68ddad26ae0d84ccba900c64a

Essentially the Huddle made a ~$418k profit in 2019 financial year (up nearly double on 2018). ~80% of revenue was from "Funding Grants" - presumably from various govt and philanthropic sources. No money from NMFC as such.

The conspiracy peddled by one poster on this forum that somehow The Huddle is a vehicle of the "woke" to divert NMFC away from men's football is ... well ... <speechless>

Well here's the thing..................what does it DO for the NMFC?!

NOTHING!

Pack it up and put the space to better use FOR THE CLUB!

NOTHING!

Brings money into the club. It's a profit centre. But by all means, come up with another legal way to make more money for the club. I'm sure you'll get a fair hearing.

Brings money into the club. It's a profit centre. But by all means, come up with another legal way to make more money for the club. I'm sure you'll get a fair hearing.
Sausage sizzles. Then sell cans of coke for $2 a pop.

We'll be rolling in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing worse for the tin foil hat brigade when facts don't support their arguments.

NOTHING!

Apart from get paid by govts/philanthropists to positively engage the football club with a generation of unconverted supporters every year (ie. free marketing), provide greater leverage for further government support of the wider football club (ie. free money), and enhance the club's reputation in the community (ie. free branding), nothing. So I can't really argue with you there...

Good luck getting government funding for facility redevelopment costs without The Huddle.
This.

Governments want to give money to professional sporting organisations - they love a good photo op, if nothing else - but it's often hard to justify. But when you get a worthy cause they can line it up with, then happy days.

Take the tens of millions of dollars handed out by state and federal governments at Lathlain Park: the fact that it helped pay for a new training base for West Coast was only mentioned in passing, and even then you had to squint to see it.

The Premier of Western Australia, Hon Colin Barnett, today announced a commitment by the State Government to provide $10 million toward the transformation of Lathlain Park as part of the Lathlain Precinct Redevelopment Project in the Town of Victoria Park.

The critical funding will help turn Lathlain Park into a vibrant community precinct comprising a wealth of new community accessible sporting, leisure, recreation and education facilities.

It will also be the new home for the West Coast Eagles training and administration headquarters and the Wirrpanda Foundation.

The project is the result of a unique public/private partnership between the Town of Victoria Park, State Government, Commonwealth Government, the West Coast Eagles and their partners the Wirrpanda Foundation and the AFL.

That could be word for word what we want to do/are doing at Arden Street.

This.

Governments want to give money to professional sporting organisations - they love a good photo op, if nothing else - but it's often hard to justify. But when you get a worthy cause they can line it up with, then happy days.

Take the tens of millions of dollars handed out by state and federal governments at Lathlain Park: the fact that it helped pay for a new training base for West Coast was only mentioned in passing, and even then you had to squint to see it.

That could be word for word what we want to do/are doing at Arden Street.
This is exactly right.

Now if someone wants to rage at the world and question the validity of sporting organisations engaging in such activities, or governments engaging in clear vote garnering funding schemes then fine, rage away. But its the reality of the world and in the real world a club has to pay the bills, has to get sponsorship and has to attract funding from government for major projects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back