Can someone date this photo for me please?

Remove this Banner Ad

Manuka, Princes Park + Docklands (loss to Dogs) were the venues.

I'm near certain it was R2 2002.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, I think it's R2 2002 as well. I think I have found Grant in the photo, next to Archer and hidden behind who I think may be Cochrane.

I think the players in the photo are (L-R) Pickett, Archer, Grant, Cochrane, Harding, Stevens, Burton, McCartney, King, Watt, Motlop, Makepeace, Sinclair, Clayton, Simpson, Robbins, Martyn, Rocca, Baird, Harvey, Porter and Jones.

Yeah, I think it's R2 2002 as well. I think I have found Grant in the photo, next to Archer and hidden behind who I think may be Cochrane.

I think the players in the photo are (L-R) Pickett, Archer, Grant, Cochrane, Harding, Stevens, Burton, McCartney, King, Watt, Motlop, Makepeace, Sinclair, Clayton, Simpson, Robbins, Martyn, Rocca, Baird, Harvey, Porter and Jones.

I am selling some memrobilia (regretfully due to downsizing) and know this photo was significant but can't remember all the details. I am thinking it was after the Carey situation but not 100% sure. Pretty sure someone here would remember the details. It was a Herald Sun photo and I went to a lot of trouble to get most of the guys to sign it. Any help appreciated

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just looking at the collar on the jumper (it's the big white neck bar with the Russell Athletic logo) it has to be 2002 or 2003, in 2001 the Russell Athletic logo looked different, and in 2004 we changed manufacturer. The hooped socks may be of interest to Mero since his pages on footyjumpers.com don't document any instance of the hooped socks at all in either of those seasons:

Last edited:

Two other things I remember from that game - Nathan Brown giving our cheersquad the bird (before we reeled them in in the second half), and Pickett kicking a ridiculous goal off one or two steps from outside 50.

Just looking at the collar on the jumper (it's the big white neck bar with the Russell Athletic logo) it has to be 2002 or 2003, in 2001 the Russell Athletic logo looked different, and in 2004 we changed manufacturer. The hooped socks may be of interest to Mero since his pages on footyjumpers.com don't document any instance of the hooped socks at all in either of those seasons:
Socks updated for R2, 2002

I think the significance of the photo is that it was a display of solidarity by the team after copping so much crap about not being any good without Carey, the club would fold etc etc. The usual crap from the media. Part of the image was used on the membership card the year after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not exactly the same photo, but the same moment, definitely Rd 2, 2002

We took some friends to that game who were visiting from Canada. Twas a yawnfest initially but that comeback made it a classic which had them on their feet high fiving us in the end.

I think the significance of the photo is that it was a display of solidarity by the team after copping so much crap about not being any good without Carey, the club would fold etc etc. The usual crap from the media. Part of the image was used on the membership card the year after.
Thats what I thought to, that it had something to do with Carey leaving but couldnt remember the exact details, but I appreciate all the responses

Two other things I remember from that game - Nathan Brown giving our cheersquad the bird (before we reeled them in in the second half), and Pickett kicking a ridiculous goal off one or two steps from outside 50.
Brown being a smart arse... I remember our supporters sitting at that end were pretty livid at the time.

I have a full slab of CUB cans celebrating Archer all unopened in mint condition except when the missus shifted if a couple of weeks ago and managed to put a pin prick in one can 😭😭😭
I just found mine. Finished moving over the weekend and it was under the stairs. Are we better off leaving the beer intact, or draining them so the cans survive?

I just found mine. Finished moving over the weekend and it was under the stairs. Are we better off leaving the beer intact, or draining them so the cans survive?
ha ha mine were safely under the stairs but we had a pantry put in which is when my missus moved them :( i liked the idea of a full slab as a collectors item but i guess they will corrode eventually, maybe emptying each can is the go? Mount empty cans on a trophy base and present them to friends for acts of courage, like going to Tasmania to watch a game :laughing:

Here's the facebook link to it as well

I remember in the early days of the North Melbourne board, Shane Clayton was one of the original "Whipping Boys". but I thought he was okay in that game, there were a couple of instances in the fourth where he was the last man in defense and held up really well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back