Official Club Stuff New Strength Coach and Data Scientist - Mladen Jovanović heads high performance team

Remove this Banner Ad

Great article, thanks for the link. A few interesting things from it.

The only serious sport I did growing up in Croatia was Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, with the pioneer of BJJ in that region Mike Bencic (who was later the grappling coach of famous Mirko CroCop Filipovic).....Being fan of Jean-Claude van Damme also got me interested in training. Those were the 90s!

good get him in the sandpit with Johnny Donehue and sell tickets

I know you have had several influential mentors in your Physical Preparation career, can you give some insight into these people and how they have shaped your principles, philosophies and career?
The major influence was the late Charlie Francis. I had been reading Supertraining by the late Mel Siff and participated in internet groups, when a friend of mine, Jovan Buha (who is now Head of S&C for Bayern Basketball, Munich for 5 seasons) directed me to the Charlie Francis forum. Then, I read everything I could get my hands on – it was tough during that time since we didn’t have money as students and it was hard or nearly impossible to get things delivered to Serbia.

Charlie Francis is Ben Johnson's coach who despite encouraging them to take PED's was at the cutting edge of sprint and power training. His forums and knowledge of sprinting techniques, training exercises etc is well regarded. He came to Oz to talk to track and field coaches and a big footy poster I talk atheletics with, Wallaby, who is a hurdles coach, said a few of his athletic collegues attended his seminars in Oz and wrote ...spoken to the guys who have seen him. He seems like genius - he earns enormous respect for his knowledge of sprints/jumps/hurdles - just some of his ethics are a bit dubious.

The chat about this role emerged after I participated in one data analysis course and analysed (for fun) data that was anonymously posted by Darren. He contacted me the very next day and we first chatted about me doing some data analysis for Port and discussing a potential dual role in the future if something emerges. Darren was wondering what role would make me happy and the role I described to him in our talks is pretty much the one I have now: applied work with athletes, but also making data-driven decisions. Or in other words combination of muscle head and a nerd.

I like that, he challenged Burgo's work or at least asked questions about it.

When it comes to tactics I am yet to learn more about Australian Rules Football. The good thing is that all field invasion games share certain tactical elements, so there is some transfer. I am just going through some books and coaching videos besides picking our coaches brains. I hope to start playing 9s or something – emerging yourself in the sport and learning on your own, besides a top-down book-worm approach, is much more important.

Knowing some tactical demands and nuances is important, but in my role it is more important to understand the physical demands of the game and specific positions

Great that he wants to learn to play the game even if its 9's to help his understanding. And i love the answer he gives to this question below.

From a Physical Preparation or Sport Science point of view, what excites you about working within an AFL environment?

Contact! This blend of different qualities needed in this game makes me really excited. It is a running game, but players need to be “combat” ready and explosive, besides being tactically smart.

I agree - how good is the response - CONTACT. He looks like a unit himself.

I just did an interview with him on my blog and when googling for a pic of him in PA colors that i came across this thread which I'll read back to front now...you can read it at this link and lewt me know what you think: http://aussierulestraining.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/introducing-mladen-javanovich-port.html
Thanks for that, it was a good read and good to read his comments about Hartlett as the first half of his career was injury riddled.

I have a question for you. What was Mladen writing/saying/doing that made you decide to follow him closely compared to others in the fitness industry from around the world you could have chosen?

hmmm...i been following him for probably 2yrs now so i can't really remember how i initially got onto him...i'm thinking just a 3rd party through FB (comment on a post i was reading or a tag in etc), i looked up his stuff and liked what i saw...maybe reading up on velocity based training might have been the initial subject...I just checked out first contact and it was about VBT back in mid 2014

i'm a L1 s&c and still playing footy at 37 so i research for myself first but it doubles for other players

Last edited:
I just did an interview with him on my blog and when googling for a pic of him in PA colors that i came across this thread which I'll read back to front now...you can read it at this link and lewt me know what you think: http://aussierulestraining.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/introducing-mladen-javanovich-port.html
Great read. Wouldn't let me comment on the link. Glad to see how impressed Mladen is with Hammer. I think Mladen will be a great addition to our already elite High Performance Team.

leave a comment on thew Facebook post if you like: https://www.facebook.com/aussierule...ment_id=951877834860443&notif_t=share_comment

I actually pre-empted his move to Australia before it happened!

Mladen Jovanović
October 20, 2015 · Belgrade, Serbia ·
It is official now - I will be joining Port Adelaide Football Club as FT strength coach and data scientist (blame Darren Burgess for the title) in next couple of weeks. More than looking forward joining the team, experiencing Australia and eating kangaroos. Hopefully not get eaten by a shark or bitten by a poisonous snake smile emoticon

Australian Football is completely new sport/culture for me and I am more than looking forward emerging in it. Working and learning alongside ...

See More

What is AFL? Aussie Rules Explained
What is AFL? Australian Football also known as AFL, Aussie Rules or Footy is a fast, skilful, tough game played by some of the fittest professional athletes ...
YOUTUBE.COM

"}" style="color: rgb(127, 127, 127); cursor: pointer; display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; line-height: 14px; margin-right: 20px; padding: 4px 4px 4px 0px;">LikeCommentShare

Graeme Morris, Will Levy, Jeremy Frisch and 310 others like this.
4 shares
Comments

Dragan Lokki Veljkovic
cestitam !

Like · Reply · 1 · October 20, 2015 at 5:53pm

Bane Damjanovic
Bravo Mladene!

Like · Reply · 1 · October 20, 2015 at 5:54pm

Troy Lange
I predicted this in March mate!!

12116018_10153256344111589_1626746959121753784_n.jpg

Like · Reply · 4 · October 20, 2015 at 5:57pm

Mladen Jovanović
Damn... I spoke with Burgo right after that post smile emoticon

Like · Reply · October 20, 2015 at 6:02pm

Troy Lange
You said you were moving somewhere around that time and I thought that was it

Like · Reply · October 20, 2015 at 6:29pm

So what has this dude brought to the club? More soccer fitness?

Do we look any bigger this year? No

Do we look any stronger this year? No

Are we getting beaten up at the stoppages and contested ball in general? Yes

Maybe we need less soccer and more combat style strength training personnel.

I reckon we do look bigger, but definitely not stronger.

Our much vaunted fitness regime has to come under question surely???
I dont see ANYTHING that suggests to me we have any edge whatsoever.
How much is all this costing the club??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spends loads of time on Twitter spruiking himself with loads of intense graphs and data. Sometimes during games too, so what's up with that.

More real-world results please...

He'd be under direction of burgess and Ken, he wouldn't have that much wiggle room
I'm holding off on the sack the strength coach campaign until winter at least

I would like to see us look into the MMA\olympic wrestling world where strength and cardio is required.

I would like to see us look into the MMA\olympic wrestling world where strength and cardio is required.
Ive been banging on about an Olympic Wrestling coach since 2006. Thats why I was so happy when we got John Donehue involved back in 2013. He introduced the Chicken Wing tackle and Grapple tackle to the Storm last decade and pissed off just about every other NRL team. Used to sit and watch NRL games when I lived in Sydney and marvel at the Storms tackling. We only got him on a part time basis and it looks like now days its a part part part time basis.

And the beauty of an Olympic wrestling coach from USA or Russia or Iran they would go and help Roy and HG with that missing piece of pottery that will help them understand the acient rules of Greco-Roman Wrestling. They have Freestyle Wrestling down pat

Last edited:
Are we actually not as strong as other players though? I say our deficiencies are more mental right now.
You play Hombsch ie a full back on Hawkins ie a full forward and he gets rag dolled. Thats got nothing to do with mental capacity.

You play Hombsch ie a full back on Hawkins ie a full forward and he gets rag dolled. Thats got nothing to do with mental capacity.

How many FBs can actually matchup weight for weight with Hawkins?

And Hombsch stength is his speed and athleticism rather than strength.

How many FBs can actually matchup weight for weight with Hawkins?

And Hombsch stength is his speed and athleticism rather than strength.
Off the top of my head 10-12 would be within a 3 to 5 kg differential. We dont like putting weight on blokes and would rather prefer to have our KPDs give away 10-15 kgs.

Selwood has been a piece of rock since about his 3rd year in the caper. Why isnt Boak, Gray or anyone of our other older mid fielders like that? Ollie was big from day 1 so that doesnt count. So Im comparing Selwood to someone of similar age and would have had a simar time to develop his strength.

Ive been banging on about an Olympic Wrestling coach since 2006. Thats why I was so happy when we got John Donehue involved back in 2013. He introduced the Chicken Wing tackle and Grapple tackle to the Storm last decade and pissed off just about every other NRL team. Used to sit and watch NRL games when I lived in Sydney and marvel out the Storms tackling. We only got him on a part time basis and it looks like now days its a part part part time basis.

And the beauty of an Olympic wrestling coach from USA or Russia or Iran they oould go and help Roy and HG with that missing piece of pottery that will help them understand the acient rules of Greco-Roman Wrestling. They have Freestyle Wrestling down pat

Yes I agree, I think people don't realise how taxing a sport MMA and wrestling are and the repeat efforts would I think go hand in hand with our sport with all the stoppages these days and repeat efforts required to win the stoppages.

Yes I agree, I think people don't realise how taxing a sport MMA and wrestling are and the repeat efforts would I think go hand in hand with our sport with all the stoppages these days and repeat efforts required to win the stoppages.
Just about every NFL player has done wrestling at high school as part of their PE lessons as well as gridiron practice and then at college level gridiron as well.

When Donehue took the players in the sandpit in the 2012-13 preseason all the players I talked to went on about how hard and taxing that was.

Donehue also brought the grappling technique with him which is important in pinning guys arms to stop them getting handballs out of the tackle. Our tackling has fallen away this year, both effort and technique.

Many likes for this post.

We need mental strength, I'd rather run out onto a field after training with Danny Green rather than running with Steve Monegetti.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back