Past Nic Newman - traded 2018, to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I would much rather try and mould Newman into McVeigh this year than bring McVeigh back. What would be the point? Bring him back so he can have a few games before he retires? I didn't rate Newman really but based on some of the things I saw last week he could very well be just as handy as an ageing, injury-prone McVeigh is.

I would much rather try and mould Newman into McVeigh this year than bring McVeigh back. What would be the point? Bring him back so he can have a few games before he retires? I didn't rate Newman really but based on some of the things I saw last week he could very well be just as handy as an ageing, injury-prone McVeigh is.

That doesn't make any sense.
Why mould someone into McVeigh when you can have the actual McVeigh?

He's fit in very comfortably so far. His skill and decision making surprises nobody but it's his hard running and physical tackling that has really pleased me. I always had a real hope that he'd be a senior quality player so I'm very happy to see him adapt so well. If he keeps going like this he could be in our best 22 for many years to come and it looks like we've found a couple of really solid medium defenders in him and Marsh.

Nic is 24 and probably just had his breakthrough game. Now everyone knows what he is capable of and the expectations surrounding him just went up a notch. I won't be surprised if he has trouble maintaining his place initially, and is in and out of the team, but I would expect him to be best 22 by the end of the season. Given the level of his hand and foot skills, his ability to read the play and be in the right spot at the right time, and his decision making, I totally agree that it looks like we have found another one!

I'm finding it pretty cool that we no longer need to pinch players out from under other clubs noses, we just develop them ourselves!

He already has gone past McVeigh. Everything has gone past McVeigh. The game, his opponent and his contribution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to spend alot time trying to release him and feed him the ball. He has the perfect combo of confidence and foot skills. He knows he can kick the footy and he isnt afraid to pull the trigger. could not be more impressed by him

I would like to see him move into the midfield in the coming weeks. With Rampe coming back, we have quite a few players who can rotate through the rebounding half back role (Rampe, Mills, Jones) and although Newman could still go through there I think he could make a big impact on a wing. Especially his kicking could be put to good use going into the forward line. The only question would be his tank, but so far he's seemed to run out games well.

Newman has just had one brilliant game, now he had to back it. Once he's doing that consistently he'll also need to work on being tagged. He's at least a season or two away from being the player we rely on
This conservative approach to not playing young players has cost us dearly in the past. He should have played in last years GF and we know who should not have. The fact that he was given no opportunities last year meant that it was always going to be very difficult to bring him into a first game GF. But he would have been a better contributor than a bloke who got 7 touches. Newman has been held back because of the overly cautious approach last year in playing young players. It was only the injuries this year that brought some of them in and they have all pretty much performed. Dawson is the one who is being restricted in his development by the conservative selection approach. Whats the point of having Dawson and Newman (last year) dominating in the NEAFL? The faceless men's selection approach is the same as the promotion ladder in the public service circa 1956

This conservative approach to not playing young players has cost us dearly in the past. He should have played in last years GF and we know who should not have. The fact that he was given no opportunities last year meant that it was always going to be very difficult to bring him into a first game GF. But he would have been a better contributor than a bloke who got 7 touches. Newman has been held back because of the overly cautious approach last year in playing young players. It was only the injuries this year that brought some of them in and they have all pretty much performed. Dawson is the one who is being restricted in his development by the conservative selection approach. Whats the point of having Dawson and Newman (last year) dominating in the NEAFL? The faceless men's selection approach is the same as the promotion ladder in the public service circa 1956
You miss-understood. We can't expect Newman to regularly have that sort of output because he hasn't proven he can regularly do it nor has he learned how to regularly have that sort of output. The Rampe of 2016 was miles ahead of the Rampe of 2014, not because we didn't try him but because he wasn't good enough. He was still learning and developing his own traits - the same with Newman. Saying we should now expect Newman to produce that sort of game week in week out is far too much expectation. Just check out LRT, he played a blinder against Port in his first season but didn't back it until much later. He only once reached the same heights - the 05 GF

He should have played in last years GF and we know who should not have. The fact that he was given no opportunities last year meant that it was always going to be very difficult to bring him into a first game GF.

Very hard for Newman to play senior football, let alone a first game GF when he wasn't even on the senior list at any point last season.

You miss-understood. We can't expect Newman to regularly have that sort of output because he hasn't proven he can regularly do it nor has he learned how to regularly have that sort of output. The Rampe of 2016 was miles ahead of the Rampe of 2014, not because we didn't try him but because he wasn't good enough. He was still learning and developing his own traits - the same with Newman. Saying we should now expect Newman to produce that sort of game week in week out is far too much expectation. Just check out LRT, he played a blinder against Port in his first season but didn't back it until much later. He only once reached the same heights - the 05 GF
Thanks for that. I didn't misunderstand anything. He was recruited as a mature aged player from the VFL. A much stronger competition than the NEAFL. He dominated that weak competition. He should have been played last year. He wasted much of his time last year in the NEAFL. Why do you reckon as a "first year" player he can come in and get 35 possessions which I believe is a record? He dominated the NEAFL GF last year and was obviously a player playing above that standard. Two of the selections for the GF contributed to costing us the game. But if you want to believe the self justification crap that comes from Longmire all the best to you and I have a bridge I can let go pretty cheaply

Remove this Banner Ad

Back