Past Nic Newman - traded 2018, to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes well that is my point. "The fact that he was given no opportunities last year" Thanks for the clarification

Hard to be given an opportunity from the rookie list when other players in other positions are being promoted first on a needs basis (Papley, Marsh and Foote). We aren't a charity last time I checked.

I would like to see him move into the midfield in the coming weeks. With Rampe coming back, we have quite a few players who can rotate through the rebounding half back role (Rampe, Mills, Jones) and although Newman could still go through there I think he could make a big impact on a wing. Especially his kicking could be put to good use going into the forward line. The only question would be his tank, but so far he's seemed to run out games well.
I know what you are getting at. Newman will keep his half back spot. Dawson is the player to be used with his kicking on the wing. And yes that means you know who can't get back into the side.

Hard to be given an opportunity from the rookie list when other players in other positions are being promoted first on a needs basis (Papley, Marsh and Foote). We aren't a charity last time I checked.
Last time I checked we are a charity. We are playing McVeigh to get him to 300. You don't think that Newman was a better promotion than Marsh or Foote last year?

Last time I checked we are a charity. We are playing McVeigh to get him to 300. You don't think that Newman was a better promotion than Marsh or Foote last year?

Was scratching my head last year when Foote was upgraded, but I gave the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. Then they play Foote this year after dropping him and having little form in the reserves. It is all well and good being loyal to players, but there has to be a line.

Last time I checked we are a charity. We are playing McVeigh to get him to 300.

Well I think you'll find he'll fall a few games short of that mark so it would be pointless if we tried.

You don't think that Newman was a better promotion than Marsh or Foote last year?

Not on a needs basis when looking at Marsh, which is the important factor to consider. Marsh was promoted before our match vs North when they were on top of the ladder a week after Ted went down with another concussion. We didn't need a rebounding defender we needed a medium defender who could play tall. Marsh I contend shouldn't of been dropped for either of Mills or McVeigh for the Grand Final

The Foote decision was a short term one due to him being returned to the rookie list when Dan Robinson was deemed fit again, but his NEAFL form was the main reason given for his promotion. Don't agree with it, but it wouldn't of seen Newman play seniors anymore than Foote did as our backline last season was settled by that point. Nor would Newman be available for the Finals anymore than Foote was (he wasn't).

Well I think you'll find he'll fall a few games short of that mark so it would be pointless if we tried.

Not on a needs basis when looking at Marsh, which is the important factor to consider. Marsh was promoted before our match vs North when they were on top of the ladder a week after Ted went down with another concussion. We didn't need a rebounding defender we needed a medium defender who could play tall. Marsh I contend shouldn't of been dropped for either of Mills or McVeigh for the Grand Final

The Foote decision was a short term one due to him being returned to the rookie list when Dan Robinson was deemed fit again, but his NEAFL form was the main reason given for his promotion. Don't agree with it, but it wouldn't of seen Newman play seniors anymore than Foote did as our backline last season was settled by that point. Nor would Newman be available for the Finals anymore than Foote was (he wasn't).
I know that hindsight is a wonderful thing but really Newman wasn't in front of Foote in his development? McVeigh should not have played in the GF. It was one of three critical factors that cost us the GF, We went into a GF with two suspect injuries in Mills and McVeigh. It is clear from the way that Newman has played after two games that he was ready made when he came from the VFL. Last year he dropped back into a lower level competition in the NEAFL? What was being developed there? He is already in front of Smith, McVeigh, Marsh and Laidler as half back/back pocket. We are supposed to believe that this development occurred over a summer pre-season. Sorry don't buy it.

I know that hindsight is a wonderful thing but really Newman wasn't in front of Foote in his development? McVeigh should not have played in the GF. It was one of three critical factors that cost us the GF, We went into a GF with two suspect injuries in Mills and McVeigh. It is clear from the way that Newman has played after two games that he was ready made when he came from the VFL. Last year he dropped back into a lower level competition in the NEAFL? What was being developed there? He is already in front of Smith, McVeigh, Marsh and Laidler as half back/back pocket. We are supposed to believe that this development occurred over a summer pre-season. Sorry don't buy it.

2017 is Newman's third year on the list. If I recall he definitely was not ready in 2015.

In 2016 particularly the back end of the year he was ready so your point about Foote is valid.

Didn't come from the VFL ready made though, particularly from a defensive aspect which still isn't his strength but it's a lot better than it was when he arrived at the Swans.

Parker was completely cooked too

Very wrong about this bloke. Thought he was another player propped up by NEAFL stats, never liked him in NAB.

Easily best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy Newman is solidifying his place in our side. He'll be getting targeted soon enough so he won't be allowed the time and space he's getting atm and he'll need to work hard through that but I have full faith he can do that too.

I like his strength in breaking tackles too, doesn't look particularly athletic but he seems strong through the hips and shoulders, allows him to shrug tackles and win space.

Saw Newman play twice last year in the NEAFL and thought he was a cut above that standard. Was surprised he never got an upgrade but that's last year, this year he has already proved that he is going to be a long term player.

With the emergence of Newman and Melican plus Rampe returning, our backline looks really good again.

Gotta say his goal on the weekend shows how good his decision making is. Under pressure, makes space, assesses the situation, kicks a great goal. Hard to believe how new he is to the senior side
Was a consistent performer at NEAFL level & been one of those I've been really hoping to see given a good run. Like Lloyd, Hewy & AA, given a good apprentieship in NEAFL & I think it really shows when they are given their chance.

Newman had a strong game against Richmond... he even made Robbos Likes and Disikes...

3. NIC NEWMAN

The moment was the near the end of the game when Newman and Dan Rioli hunted the ball on the wing. Rioli was bumped and lost his feet. Newman stayed on his, won the ball and the Tigers lost any momentum they had. Newman’s performances continue to be first rate. When the Swans began their comeback, Newman was as influential as any player. From the 13 minute mark of the second quarter, he won a game-high 19 disposals and gained a game-high 444 metres.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back