Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 83 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 277 76.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicki boy wouldn't have lasted 2 years trying to carry a club out of a dark era like Cripps has. He'd have retired the minute he was asked to be the primary ball winner for his team instead of being fed the ball all day
Cripps carried the club out of a dark era? Stacks of high draft picks, much better FA/trade management in recent years, recruiting King Voss and Curnow developing into a superstar have done that.

Cripps has been excellent in poor teams though (moreso than Martin for instance) which is a plus.

Daicos would need another year or two in the gym to perform the role you describe, or else he'd be getting pinballed like Jhye Clark is currently.

“Notwithstanding the fact that players like GAJ and N. Daicos get so many possessions that they actually generally rack up more contested possessions than 99% of other players in the competition..“

I think that’s my favourite part of the OP.
It’s pretty accurate except for that Daicos bit

Cripps carried the club out of a dark era? Stacks of high draft picks, much better FA/trade management in recent years, recruiting King Voss and Curnow developing into a superstar have done that.

Cripps has been excellent in poor teams though (moreso than Martin for instance) which is a plus.

Daicos would need another year or two in the gym to perform the role you describe, or else he'd be getting pinballed like Jhye Clark is currently.
Cripps has been out captain and on field leader for year, setting standards around the club, facing up after some of the worst performances in our clubs history and continually putting his body on the line being battered from pillar to post for close to a decade.

Just because others have come in and helped the team get to the next level doesn't mean Cripps hasn't carried the burden of rebuilding a total basket case from the ground up.

Cripps has been out captain and on field leader for year, setting standards around the club, facing up after some of the worst performances in our clubs history and continually putting his body on the line being battered from pillar to post for close to a decade.

Just because others have come in and helped the team get to the next level doesn't mean Cripps hasn't carried the burden of rebuilding a total basket case from the ground up.
Don't get me wrong - I respect Cripps contribution as a leader and player. He definitely toughed it out and stood up no matter how good the side was.

I just don't really believe in the redemption of a club ever coming down to one player. Usually they have turned it around as an organisation from the bottom up, or a large number of decisions and recruitment was gotten right.

I don't see it being a massive issue if N.Daicos brings his round 0 and 1 form to a struggling team (round 2 type shockers won't do) while endeavouring to work on other parts of his game. If the bulls don't turn it around at the stoppages it won't make a difference either way. Daicos is the silk.

Don't get me wrong - I respect Cripps contribution as a leader and player. He definitely toughed it out and stood up no matter how good the side was.

I just don't really believe in the redemption of a club ever coming down to one player. Usually they have turned it around as an organisation from the bottom up, or a large number of decisions and recruitment was gotten right.

I don't see it being a massive issue if N.Daicos brings his round 0 and 1 form to a struggling team (round 2 type shockers won't do) while endeavouring to work on other parts of his game. If the bulls don't turn it around at the stoppages it won't make a difference either way. Daicos is the silk.
Hence why I wrote "trying to" carry a club out of a dark era. Plenty of players up and leave when their club sinks down into the doldrums, Cripps dug in and took on an enormous load while he waited for the admin and players around him to be sorted out by the higher ups.

Daicos comes across as the type who would sulk that things aren't aligned for him and seek greener pastures in a similar situation. Only have to look at him on the weekend jogging around barely putting in an iota of effort on defense because the game wasn't going the Pies way.

I like N. Daicos. I like watching him play. But the suggestion that he is a GOAT or potentially the GOAT......just far too early to even be discussing this and I'm surprised this thread has generated so much discussion. Pointless really.

Let's revisit this thread in 3 to 5 years.....and not even to talk about him being a GOAT but instead let's just assess what he has achieved, I think that's a fair and reasonable way of looking at things in 3 to 5 years time.

Last edited:
Hence why I wrote "trying to" carry a club out of a dark era. Plenty of players up and leave when their club sinks down into the doldrums, Cripps dug in and took on an enormous load while he waited for the admin and players around him to be sorted out by the higher ups.

Daicos comes across as the type who would sulk that things aren't aligned for him and seek greener pastures in a similar situation. Only have to look at him on the weekend jogging around barely putting in an iota of effort on defense because the game wasn't going the Pies way.
So now we're imagining what Daicos would do if he travelled in an imaginary time machine and landed at Carlton in 2002, or 2006, or 2015, or 2018....

No doubt Cripps put his body on the line to make his team better, time and time again.
That’s not Nic Daicos’s game, he’s a fwd transition player that has advanced kicking skills. Thing is though if the oppo do put time into and play against the Pies fwd transition game it limits his game.
Cripps’s game is built on winning the ball and like the best players he wins 1v1 contests and the other thing about Cripps game is he is hard to bring to ground, more often than not gets a handball away when the oppo are hanging off him. Or, he breaks a tackle that would stop 80% of the competition.
Daicos is a bruise free player who is elite at kick to kick in the park.

He’s got a long way to go to even get to Sam Mitchell’s level as a distributor, player and teammate.

This thread should be moved the the Bay.

Still waiting to hear who this youth is the Pies have pushing through?
The same youth we allegedly didn't have at the end of 2021, when we were told by all and sundry that we were in for five years of bottom 4 mediocrity, akin to what we'd seen from Carlton for the previous two decades.

Except we just went on to be the best performed team in the competition over the next two seasons, with the highest number of wins and the best cumulative finishes.

The same youth we allegedly didn't have at the end of 2021, when we were told by all and sundry that we were in for five years of bottom 4 mediocrity, akin to what we'd seen from Carlton for the previous two decades.

Except we just went on to be the best performed team in the competition over the next two seasons, with the highest number of wins and the best cumulative finishes.
2021 proved to be an anomaly that's true. But now all those veterans are 2 years older, you haven't got any highly rated father son picks on the horizon and you have no first round draft pick this year.

Who is going to takeover from Pendles, Crisp, Cox, Howe, Sidebottom etc?

Traded away Ginnivan, McCreery's experiment in the midfield lasted about 3 weeks, Murphy may have to retire due to his concussions this year... Pies are reaching a critical mass. Whether it be at the end of this year or next, father time catches up to everyone eventually.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2021 proved to be an anomaly that's true. But now all those veterans are 2 years older, you haven't got any highly rated father son picks on the horizon and you have no first round draft pick this year.

Who is going to takeover from Pendles, Cripps, Cox, Howe, Sidebottom etc?

Traded away Ginnivan, McCreery's experiment in the midfield lasted about 3 weeks, Murphy may have to retire due to his concussions this year... Pies are reaching a critical mass. Whether it be at the end of this year or next, father time catches up to everyone eventually.
Yes, I expect the Ginnivan trade to really come back and bite us.....

Like the Stephenson trade was going to, and/or the Treloar trade, and/or the Grundy trade.....

I like N. Daicos. I like watching him play. But the suggestion that he is a GOAT or potentially the GOAT......just far too early to even be discussing this and I'm surprised this thread has generated so much discussion. Pointless really.

Let's revisit this thread in 3 to 5 years.....and not even to talk about him being a GOAT but instead let's just assess what he has achieved, I think that's a fair and reasonable way of looking at things in 3 to 5 years time.

I would certainly like watching him play if I was playing against him. He just jumps out of the way and kindly allows you to take possession of any disputed ball.

Yes, I expect the Ginnivan trade to really come back and bite us.....

Like the Stephenson trade was going to, and/or the Treloar trade, and/or the Grundy trade.....
The question Fudgey... Who are the youth that are going to replace these veterans? What are their names?

You've already got the oldest list in the comp and if the first 3 weeks are anything to go off half of them are already cooked. Somethings gotta give.

Seems to have all changed when Brian Cook walked through the door.
I reckon your previous board would have fired Voss when he was struggling early on and you would be back to where you have been this past 20 years.

And you also forget that Gibbs, Murphy, Docherty were pretty handy players to have around. I mean even guys like Scotland & Simpson who were perennial 25 disposal per game mids.
Carlton's been stacked with talent for years. It's never been about any one player. It's always come down to the off field culture and that all changed about 3 years ago.

Cripps was also praised for taking a pay cut when he signed his last multi-million dollar contract. They said he was happy to take a cut in order to bring players to the club but that turned out to be a furphy.

Daicos has yet to face adversity. He has walked in on a club that was immediately challenging for a premiership.

The comparison with Cripps just seems odd to this neutral.

Naicos until he gets stronger is a mainly outside mid. He possesses a huge level of footy IQ imo.

Cripps is a terrif albeit slow inside mid.

Both are average to poor in defensive transition. Cripps has never had much interest in defensive pressure acts. Daicos is not a reliable tackler but expect he will get better.

Seems to have all changed when Brian Cook walked through the door.
I reckon your previous board would have fired Voss when he was struggling early on and you would be back to where you have been this past 20 years.

And you also forget that Gibbs, Murphy, Docherty were pretty handy players to have around. I mean even guys like Scotland & Simpson who were perennial 25 disposal per game mids.
Carlton's been stacked with talent for years. It's never been about any one player. It's always come down to the off field culture and that all changed about 3 years ago.

Cripps was also praised for taking a pay cut when he signed his last multi-million dollar contract. They said he was happy to take a cut in order to bring players to the club but that turned out to be a furphy.

Daicos has yet to face adversity. He has walked in on a club that was immediately challenging for a premiership.
I'd back in Cripps, Charlie, Harry and Weitering all explicitly saying in interviews that they took pay cuts to help bring more talent into the club over what Sam Peanut McClure reported on his show. The worst and most unreliable journo in the sport despite being a Carlton nuffy.

But yes I agree re Cook etc. Voss, Sayers and Cook have formed a great trio and brought stability to the club which was long overdue.

I would certainly like watching him play if I was playing against him. He just jumps out of the way and kindly allows you to take possession of any disputed ball.
It is amazing how many champion footballers, still live in their mother's basement living out their great deeds on their stained keyboard.

If you were playing against him, the chances are you would be just sitting on your arse watching him run off with the ball, as he turned you inside out.

There are so many legendary footballers on this site, that call out players for apparently being scared, or weak.
Yet the closest I bet any of you have come to the game, is yelling at your TV, everytime those exact players tear you a new one.

MR, I am yet to see a positive post from you, apart from your Dusty drivel.

Either get a job, or use your abundance of free time for good, instead of evil and contribute something relevant.
Instead of the mind numbing, childish ramblings you and a few others continue with.

Also your Dusty pillow cases are stained and need washing.

The question Fudgey... Who are the youth that are going to replace these veterans? What are their names?

You've already got the oldest list in the comp and if the first 3 weeks are anything to go off half of them are already cooked. Somethings gotta give.
Let me look into my crystal ball...

Oops, it's not working.

In the same way I couldn't have told you at the end of 2021 that:
  • N. Daicos would perform as the best player in the competition in only his second year;
  • J. Daicos would evolve into an All-Australian wingman;
  • McStay would come to the club in 2023 and be crucial to our 2023 Qualifying Final and Preliminary Final victories;
  • Bobby Hill would come to the club in 2023 and kick 4 goals in a Norm Smith Medal winning Grand Final performance.

The list goes on.

See, good teams like Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney don't need to spend decades in the bottom four, accumulating high draft picks to build a side that contends for premierships.

Astute drafting, trading and strong development and culture, ensures you're never looking at the September actions from the sidelines for too long...

Let me look into my crystal ball...

Oops, it's not working.

In the same way I couldn't have told you at the end of 2021 that:
  • N. Daicos would perform as the best player in the competition in only his second year;
  • J. Daicos would evolve into an All-Australian wingman;
  • McStay would come to the club in 2023 and be crucial to our 2023 Qualifying Final and Preliminary Final victories;
  • Bobby Hill would come to the club in 2023 and kick 4 goals in a Norm Smith Medal winning Grand Final performance.

The list goes on.

See, good teams like Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney don't need to spend decades in the bottom four, accumulating high draft picks to build a side that contends for premierships.

Astute drafting, trading and strong development and culture, ensures you're never looking at the September actions from the sidelines for too long...
So not a single name. Got it

Back