Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 83 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 277 76.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The intensity that people are coming at him with after a single bad game with a bunch of half-hearted efforts shows how good he has been to this point.

The media talked him up to insane levels last year but he was also extremely good. Loved watching him play and was annoyed Collingwood got two young midfield guns under the father/son set up.

He's a young player working through a new challenge. It's a good test for him.

That’s a fair opinion to have. Whilst I mightn’t agree with all that you’ve said, I can respect your point of view.

I also don’t reckon it’s such a big deal, or even relevant to you or anyone else, what expectations Collingwood supporters want to have on their own players. All whilst already enjoying Nick’s development either way.

Again, just smells like tall poppy to me. Is it really such a big deal for someone to think he’ll be a GOAT? Reaction to it seems like abit of an overreaction.
Maybe we should check out some of your over-reactions then in the Dusty GOAT thread.

You beat me to it!
How many games of AFL have you played Fudgey - or to make it easier any contact sport - eh?

What a load of bollocks for you to bag some nuffie for having a view on Twitter or whatever it is called - when you are just another same same posting a trolling view and pushing a barrow on just anther social media platform.

To me if you were starting a brand new club with a young list Daicos would not be the first player I would pick. Someone like Tom Green or Sam Taylor would be a much better foundational player. If however I already had a very good team and just needed a bit of cream to get us to that premiership Daicos would be near top of my list of players I would want.

To me if you were starting a brand new club with a young list Daicos would not be the first player I would pick. Someone like Tom Green or Sam Taylor would be a much better foundational player. If however I already had a very good team and just needed a bit of cream to get us to that premiership Daicos would be near top of my list of players I would want.
How would you get to the position of being a very good team without a strong midfield in teh first place? As a second question - related to the Club you follow which is in the city I mostly live in but the Club I don't support but know more than passably well - do you see Longmuir and the boys accepting a soft squib like this bloke who hunts for cheapies into the culture - dont fink so. What do you reckon?

Do you actually believe, or expect anyone to believe, in some universe somewhere, Nick Daicos would have ever been matched up on Charlie Cameron? Wowee
Hey it was 12 months ago so my memory of that isn't perfect. But it was a game before Quaynor really took off and the Collingwood small defenders were 100% charging forward and getting exposed by leaving their man. I am fairly certain (maybe through a mixed matchup) that he was manned up on Charlie before his first couple of goals. He was definitely part of the issue with goals out the back in that game and hence got moved out of the backline.

In the last qtr last night he was giving Higgins no respect. Probably lucky he only kicked 1.1 in the end.

This is how sides will have to counter him moving forward. Let him get forward of the ball but make sure his opponent has the ability to make him pay as well either on the scoreboard or through the middle.

Against Sydney he showed the Swans midfield no respect either and it showed with their ability to dominate when they got the ball moving.
Its 100% been the blueprint to beating them for a year or so now (last year it was just hard for teams to be good enough to pull it off). They will charge forward off their man through design and try and get forward, they (especially Daicos) can be exposed if you get it off them.

How would you get to the position of being a very good team without a strong midfield in teh first place? As a second question - related to the Club you follow which is in the city I mostly live in but the Club I don't support but know more than passably well - do you see Longmuir and the boys accepting a soft squib like this bloke who hunts for cheapies into the culture - dont fink so. What do you reckon?

I think winning the ball is a bit more important, at least for a new club or a club that is already poor, than someone who uses it very well once won.

He is really neither.

He is a good player but has been the beneficiary of being a number 1 pick walking into an experienced side which was at the time underperforming under Buckley. So he has effectively been able to play the game using the strengths he had before being drafted because of the guys around him. Those strengths suffer tremendously when the guys around him aren't at the peak of their powers. Fly needs to send him down back. He can't play inside mid with what the Pies are currently producing in there.
It's fairly obvious and i'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more - play him outside the contest, make him the reciever and his lack of any threat in the contest is mitigated bu his ability to find forward passes. If that's wing or attacking HB or HF it doesn't really matter, you need to offset it - like richmond did for years with Martin.

Expecting ND to compete at the centre bounce, with his light frame and clear predisposition to avoid contact is a coaching issue and maybe a list management issue. They got last years flag and that's the goal of all clubs but playing nick as a fulltime CM will stop them getting another imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's fairly obvious and i'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more - play him outside the contest, make him the reciever and his lack of any threat in the contest is mitigated bu his ability to find forward passes. If that's wing or attacking HB or HF it doesn't really matter, you need to offset it - like richmond did for years with Martin.

Expecting ND to compete at the centre bounce, with his light frame and clear predisposition to avoid contact is a coaching issue and maybe a list management issue. They got last years flag and that's the goal of all clubs but playing nick as a fulltime CM will stop them getting another imo.

I'm not sure of their mid rotations but the problem is De Goey, Crisp and Fumblebury are receivers as well. Who are their ball winners aside from cooked Tom Mitchell?

And now we're up to 150 posts from about 70 different posters in just under 10 hours since the game ended.

All because a kid who has just turned 21 wasn't his team's best player for the first time this season.

For comparison, the Martin GOAT thread might have had one or two comments after an average performance.

Seems the Daicos Effect has a dual meaning. In addition to Jonno Brown's trademarked 'Prodigious talent who immediately brings success to his team....', we are also seeing 'A prodigious talent who is the tallest of tall poppies in his third year in the system, who brings thousands of people flooding to social media to critique his game in the event he's not his team's best player on the day and/or his team loses on the day'.

He really is getting into your heads, and that is the Collingwood way - he'll revel in it for the next dozen years of his career.

You kept the fire burning in the thread …we just added more fuel.

Don’t moan and whine now.

The obvious flaw in his game is now vindicated and he’ll be judged on that flaw for the rest of his career.

Unless he steps up and puts his head over the ball like a real champion does…

How many games of AFL have you played Fudgey - or to make it easier any contact sport - eh?

What a load of bollocks for you to bag some nuffie for having a view on Twitter or whatever it is called - when you are just another same same posting a trolling view and pushing a barrow on just anther social media platform.
For what it's worth, I've played and coached plenty of football.

I suggest you'll see from my posting history that I refrain from targeting individual players, and I certainly wouldn't be posting videos on Twitter saying 'look how scared this player is, or look how crap this player is...'

And I certainly wouldn't be giving people who do that any credence by sharing their posts on the same or another social media platform.

I suggest you'll see from my posting history that I refrain from targeting individual players, and I certainly wouldn't be posting videos on Twitter saying 'look how scared this player is, or look how crap this player is...'

And I certainly wouldn't be giving people who do that any credence by sharing their posts on the same or another social media platform.
I saw your earlier reference to the Dusty GOAT thread and how after a poor game he didnt get this much attention. do you think maybe you popped ya cork on this thread early and that's why?

Get off the high horse and false moral ground cause your thread has turned to s**t and back fired.

You have been this forums biggest troll for years now.

Ball was in dispute daicos coming on way, Owen’s coming the other… I knew who was winning
ok settle down now. I know which player that every team would prefer and it ain't Owens as much as he is a good player. he was arguably worst on ground last week.

winning a hard ball against Daicos is nothing to be proud of. Daicos just steps out of the way.

Get off the high horse and false moral ground cause your thread has turned to s**t and back fired.

You have been this forums biggest troll for years now.
Yeah, thread's backfired because Daicos has only been his team's best player in 2 of the 3 games he's played so far this year, and he's got about a dozen years left in his career...

Back