Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 83 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 277 76.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That Matt Rowell is an inside midfielder and Nick Daicos is more outside? Shock horror! You’re on fire today!

Despite being a year young and playing 15 less games, Nick Daicos has kicked more goals, and had more goal assists. Has had over 200 more efficient disposals, and 6% better disposal efficiency whilst also adding 6,000 more metres gained.

Stats are fun, aren’t they? Fairly pointless though WHE you share them in isolation
Correction - Daicos is two 'seasons' younger than Rowell.

You are including the fact Daicos has a flag as evidence of how good of a player he is

So assuming the pies don’t win the flag this year that would be seen as a negative reflection on Daicos as an individual? Since winning a flag is a positive reflection

Also my other questions

So if the pies didn’t take Daicos assuming he goes pick one and the pies land JHF or Callahan (assuming they go for a midfielder) you don’t think the pies form turns?

& north Melbourne’s fate is very different?

Edit
Also if this “Daicos effect” is such a major factor why have the pies started the year with some pretty poor showings despite Nick being in the pies best for at least round 1 and 2

More like to be in GOAT consideration you have to be great in most aspects of the game and at least adequate in the remainder.

The argument seems to be that Nick's inadequacies in the physical aspects preclude him from GOAT consideration regardless of his strengths in other areas of the game.

Young Nicholas is doing pretty well in most aspects of the game. Elite disposal, elite reader of the player, unbelievable footy nous, great goal sense and elite mentality/mindset to make a champion.

He isn’t hard enough at the pull though, and I love my players that are hard at the pill. At the same time, Alan Didak was one of my all time favourite players, and what he could do well, he did bloody brilliantly.

Chris Judd was a terrible kick of the footy. Tony Lockett was a terrible defender when the ball hit the ground. Buddy Franklin was fairly useless in a pack if you had body on him. GAJ, not unlike Nick, was his team’s distributor and was fed the ball more often than people like. There really is no such thing as the perfect, prototype footballer. You can pick chunks off any footballer who ever played the game if you really wanted to. It’s still called tall poppy though.

I would simply argue that it is at least five years too early to be even discussing GOAT-like matters for Nick!

Yeah, I agree. Long way to go, but he has had a great start. Not many 50 gamers have influenced the game like he has. The names people have mentioned by comparison in this thread are amongst the biggest names to ever play our game. Kid is in good company already.

You are including the fact Daicos has a flag as evidence of how good of a player he is

So assuming the pies don’t win the flag this year that would be seen as a negative reflection on Daicos as an individual? Since winning a flag is a positive reflection

Also my other questions
Why would I assume the Pies won't win the flag this year?

And as I said, even if they don't - one flag every three years is a pretty good strike rate.

Your other question, not that it really deserves a response - how would anyone know? Neither of those players started anywhere near as well as Daicos, and given how close the finals results were last year, and how influential Daicos has been in many close wins over the course of 2022 and 2023, it is quite likely we don't have a flag if we had Callaghan or JHF instead of Daicos.

That Matt Rowell is an inside midfielder and Nick Daicos is more outside? Shock horror! You’re on fire today!

Despite being a year young and playing 15 less games, Nick Daicos has kicked more goals, and had more goal assists. Has had over 200 more efficient disposals, and 6% better disposal efficiency whilst also adding 6,000 more metres gained.

Stats are fun, aren’t they? Fairly pointless though when you share them in isolation.
Re: bolded… we’ll done, you’ve finally worked it out.

Last edited:
Why would I assume the Pies won't win the flag this year?

And as I said, even if they don't - one flag every three years is a pretty good strike rate.

Your other question, not that it really deserves a response - how would anyone know? Neither of those players started anywhere near as well as Daicos, and given how close the finals results were last year, and how influential Daicos has been in many close wins over the course of 2022 and 2023, it is quite likely we don't have a flag if we had Callaghan or JHF instead of Daicos.
So just for my understanding

• Pies start to this year is an anomaly
  • Daicos effect is why the pies won the flag
  • Pies will win the flag next two years if they don’t this year despite what happens with the rest of collingwood’s list management, coaching, oppo teams form, ect

Huh?

How is your maths?
My bad was just trying to wrap my head around this part and got muddled

“And as I said, even if they don't - one flag every three years is a pretty good strike rate.“

Also my other questions

Mitch Morton is a Premiership player :tearsofjoy:

Young Nicholas is doing pretty well in most aspects of the game. Elite disposal, elite reader of the player, unbelievable footy nous, great goal sense and elite mentality/mindset to make a champion.

He isn’t hard enough at the pull though, and I love my players that are hard at the pill. At the same time, Alan Didak was one of my all time favourite players, and what he could do well, he did bloody brilliantly.

Chris Judd was a terrible kick of the footy. Tony Lockett was a terrible defender when the ball hit the ground. Buddy Franklin was fairly useless in a pack if you had body on him. GAJ, not unlike Nick, was his team’s distributor and was fed the ball more often than people like. There really is no such thing as the perfect, prototype footballer. You can pick chunks off any footballer who ever played the game if you really wanted to. It’s still called tall poppy though.

Yeah, I agree. Long way to go, but he has had a great start. Not many 50 gamers have influenced the game like he has. The names people have mentioned by comparison in this thread are amongst the biggest names to ever play our game. Kid is in good company already.
Gary Ablett Senior>>>>>Gary Ablett Junior>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else

Mitch Morton is a Premiership player :tearsofjoy:
Jason Castagna 3 time premiership small forward, we became competitive when he became best 22 and his retirement last year signalled the official end of our dominance

Jason Castagna 3 time premiership small forward, we became competitive when he became best 22 and his retirement last year signalled the official end of our dominance
“3x premiership small forward, Jason Castagna.”

“3x premiership captain, Trent Cotchin.”

“1x premiership defender, Billy Frampton.”

Seriously, am I in some sort of alternate universe? When did we deviate from the real world?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, am I in some sort of alternate universe? When did we deviate from the real world?
You forgot 0 times premiership players Cripps, Weitering, Walsh and Curnow (but they have plenty of individual awards).

Get it right it’s 3 Times Premiership captain, Brownlow Medalist, AFLCA Player of the year, 3 time club bnf, AFLPA Best captain, all Australian, state of origin captain and best hair in the comp for his entire career Trent Cotchin

It’s a resume that just rolls off the tongue and one young Nick should be looking to emulate

Get it right it’s 3 Times Premiership captain, Brownlow Medalist, AFLCA Player of the year, 3 time club bnf, AFLPA Best captain, all Australian, state of origin captain and best hair in the comp for his entire career Trent Cotchin

It’s a resume that just rolls off the tongue and one young Nick should be looking to emulate
Nicki is a 'was leading before injury' Brownlow Medallist, AFLCA Player of the year and probably AFLPA Best Player but we'll never know.

All good - we'll just settle for 'Best performed player in the competition in 2023 after finals are taken into consideration'.
Is that an offical award?
I tried looking it up but couldn’t find it

Good to see you're not disputing my statement.
Would need to know the criteria first

I’m not one to go off half cocked and make grandiose claims without merit

All good - we'll just settle for 'Best performed player in the competition in 2023 after finals are taken into consideration'.
Bontempelli had the better year and lead Nicki in every award in the end. Beat him out in nearly every stat that matters too.

Just happened to be that Nicki boys team was far better than Bonts last season.

Bontempelli had the better year and lead Nicki in every award in the end. Beat him out in nearly every stat that matters too.

Just happened to be that Nicki boys team was far better than Bonts last season.
If only the dogs had some of that “Daicos Effect”
Would of ensured the dogs won the flag

Back