Autopsy NMFC vs ©arlton: 86 point rogering

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems like a million years ago

Ben+Brown+VFL+Semi+Final+Box+Hill+v+Werribee+aCksXBsbQRil.jpg

Similar to the win over the saints, another good team win built off the back of 4 quarters of commitment. This time our toying with inaccuracy happily took a little less time to rectify so the dominance started earlier in the game.

As a point of reference, we flogged Carlton by circa 70 points in 2016 and I thought we were poor and flattered by the opposition. This time around while Carlton weren't reigning premiers, we played to a higher standard than that 2016 game making our output more pleasing to the eye.

Noteable Positives:
  • Visible effort throughout the team, throughout the game
  • Atley's conversion to forward
  • Majak's conversion to defender
  • Anderson, Dumont, Simpkin, EVW continued improvement
  • Just like the saints game, a pleasant increase in football basics that have never been strong over the Scott era: knocking it on through a fist or ground kick if unable to take possession, pressuring opposition ball carriers even when unable to lay a tackle
  • Trademark Brad Scott offensive play
Negatives:
  • A little bit of poor early conversion
  • The opportunity was probably there to really slam the foot on their throat in the last 5-10 minutes and make it 100+ points
  • James Brayshaw. You're not at the club in an official capacity anymore so probably don't need to do the insecure overcompensation anymore.. no wonder Carlton as a club and Dow et al looked tired - you spent half the game sucking them off

Poor Paddy Dow.

First time he comes up against the club he's loved and supported his whole life and he gets fisted.

Repeatedly.

I hope we are in his managers ear asap.

Poor Paddy Dow.

First time he comes up against the club he's loved and supported his whole life and he gets fisted.

Repeatedly.

I hope we are in his managers ear asap.
He re-signed a few weeks back for another three years. Same week as LDU did.

He re-signed a few weeks back for another three years. Same week as LDU did.
They really need to get a dislike button on this thing.

• James Brayshaw. You're not at the club in an official capacity anymore so probably don't need to do the insecure overcompensation anymore.. no wonder Carlton as a club and Dow et al looked tired - you spent half the game sucking them off
Agreed here King Corey. Not only do we have bugger all ex players etc who fly the flag for us in the media, but our own bloody ex players and admin half the time are the ones doing the kicking with the rubbish snide remarks or complete silence. Don’t feel like it happens with any other club.

James Brayshaw. You're not at the club in an official capacity anymore so probably don't need to do the insecure overcompensation anymore.. no wonder Carlton as a club and Dow et al looked tired - you spent half the game sucking them off

You should have heard him on MMM during the Melbourne game. He was over compensating so much it was bordering on idiocy. Even had a go at the New away jumper.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed here King Corey. Not only do we have bugger all ex players etc who fly the flag for us in the media, but our own bloody ex players and admin half the time are the ones doing the kicking with the rubbish snide remarks or complete silence. Don’t feel like it happens with any other club.
I don't blame him with the s**t he copped when he was last casting our games and did so even handedly.

The way he was treated you would have thought he never uttered the name of the opposition. Got thrown in the same basket as Macguire and Roos

I don't blame him with the s**t he copped when he was last casting our games and did so even handedly.

The way he was treated you would have thought he never uttered the name of the opposition. Got thrown in the same basket as Macguire and Roos
Def can't knock JB's sensational role in Roosurgence etc, but I still think it'd be nice to hear him snarl back at media types who give us a cheap shot.....or at least not be one of them looking for the cheap gag. Just be an unabashed fanboy like the rest of the pillocks out there. There isn't a media person out there without huge bias, get on Jimmy!!!

Good clubs do it this way. Look at Sydney and Hawthorn. It’s a myth that you have to strip to bare bottom to rise again. All that does is creates a losing mentality.

However I would say this - doing it this way should also create an expectation of getting results - Scott can’t play a reasonably mature side yet still use the youth as an excuse.

Kids should be played when they deserve a game. Pure and simple.

If we can lose Harvey, Petrie, Spud, Dal, Wells, Swallow, LT, Hansen and still field a reasonable side - it’s a testament to a good list management, not a sign of weakness.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
A good core of Hawthorn's side were top end talent produced with low draft picks, and Sydney have had numerous advantages with cap space, their academy etc.

I agree that bottoming out can be dangerous to the culture of a football club but we have been starved of the cream of the crop as far as young talent goes due to constant mid table finishes, and I can bet my life on it that we will go nowhere near setting up a foundation for a premiership if we continue down this path in the next few years. We will be stuck in no-mans-land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy pulling out also envokes the cascade effect. Meaning many matchups potentially sway our way a bit. Not saying is would have changed the result however i would have expected them so be somewhat more competitive with him.

The Cascade effect in Hobart is slightly different to that isn't it?

Not too bad myself. Used to stab kick the ball to Barry Cable as he ran around Cole reserve in Pascoe Vale training on the off club nights.

I used to deliver papers past that reserve. My old boss - the bloke that ran the newsagency at the bottom of Gaffney St hill near Pacco station was a North supporter.

A good core of Hawthorn's side were top end talent produced with low draft picks, and Sydney have had numerous advantages with cap space, their academy etc.

I agree that bottoming out can be dangerous to the culture of a football club but we have been starved of the cream of the crop as far as young talent goes due to constant mid table finishes, and I can bet my life on it that we will go nowhere near setting up a foundation for a premiership if we continue down this path in the next few years. We will be stuck in no-mans-land.
I'll tell you the other thing Hawthorn did well that often gets overlooked: Alistair Clarkson's initial contract was only two years.

There wasn't time for a long rebuild - there had to be immediate improvement or he was going out be out the door. So they did cut a number of senior players and drafted well, the big three from that first draft (Franklin, Roughy and Lewis) all played at least 19 games in the first year. They did a rebuild and played finals in their third year.

I know coaches want security of tenure but what's in the interests of the football club is a quick turnaround.

I used to deliver papers past that reserve. My old boss - the bloke that ran the newsagency at the bottom of Gaffney St hill near Pacco station was a North supporter.
I remember when the Kent Road news agency was the delivery point. Only time I ever shoplifted. They had a magazine called Tom Thumb and it had topless women. Remember knocking one off. Must have been about 13 and absolutely shat myself doing it. Never did shoplift again. I made a very bad thief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back