Autopsy NMFC vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, we run out of steam in the last quarters. but this is so much related to our personnel. Because we have so many one-paced mids, our whole side is spending the whole game running backwards and forwards to block space that they are literally out of petrol tickets by the last quarter and the opposition runners just slice through us. We are competing well courtesy of our structures but it is not sustainable. In my book, the calls for Clarke, Anderson, Mountford, and Wagner go beyond the need to give the kids a run, its the fact that they can run that makes them important.

Whenever Brad goes into snake oil mode he starts to lose me. I'm not as critical as some but can see the writing on the wall when press conferences go from being exercises in spin to putting up false flags and his 'youth', 'rookie' comments are disingenuous at best. Internally, he is rated and the boys are still playing for him it seems, but please put Tudor or Crocks in front of the mike. Cant cope with Bradspeak much longer.
Good comments B2B. On the second one, I'm not Brad basher, but I'm with you on his press conferences over the past two seasons.

i was looking at the stats for the game and there is some glaring issues and Yes most of them have been constantly mentioned.

Total possesions : thomas 6 , turner 9
meters gained : thompson 35 , thomas 83
dispoal eff % : thomas 50 , ziebell 53, swallow 47
marks : goldstein 2
tackles : thompson 1, hansen 2, brown 1
pressue acts : thompson 7, hansen 6
involvements : thomas 0, hansen 0, thopmson 0
tog % : swallow 62

from this it becomes clear that thomas, hansen and thopmson had shockes.
at least two of them needs to be dropped.
with swallow only playing 62% game time, this tells me the end is near.

put the goldy marks in as i reckon he should be marking at least 6 a week with his suppose mobility.

we await thursday for selection

i was looking at the stats for the game and there is some glaring issues and Yes most of them have been constantly mentioned.

Total possesions : thomas 6 , turner 9
meters gained : thompson 35 , thomas 83
dispoal eff % : thomas 50 , ziebell 53, swallow 47
marks : goldstein 2
tackles : thompson 1, hansen 2, brown 1
pressue acts : thompson 7, hansen 6
involvements : thomas 0, hansen 0, thopmson 0
tog % : swallow 62

from this it becomes clear that thomas, hansen and thopmson had shockes.
at least two of them needs to be dropped.
with swallow only playing 62% game time, this tells me the end is near.

put the goldy marks in as i reckon he should be marking at least 6 a week with his suppose mobility.

we await thursday for selection
goldy was never going to take a lot of grabs against sandi

It is saddening and deeply disappointing to see all the flair and dash coached out of Atley. I am of the opinion that we are ruining his career by coaching him into oblivion. He has natural gifts and we refuse to use them. I could wax on like I've already done but all I'll say is that it is sad.
Do we really know that "all the flair and dash" has been "coached out of Atley"? For me this has become a truism. I think we are more likely to share a view that he hasn't made the most of his potential, but the reasons for that are debatable. Could we say "He has natural gifts and refuses to use them properly?" or "...doesn't know how to use them properly?" I'll agree it's sad, but I'm not convinced about the vox pop view here.

Dumont was excellent. Second most clearances behind clearance pig Cunnington. Played very well on Fyfe for the majority of the game. A great kick of the footy into the 50 to a leading target. He is starting to look like he belongs and we should all be very excited. For all of Brad's faults, it appears that he's finally realised that Dumont is a better option inside the square than Swallow is and Swallow is suffering because of it. I'm all for the move. Dumont is creative, dangerous and understands that he has time and space to dispose of the footy, especially around the grounds (5 clearances from stoppages vs 3 from centre bounces).
This has been clear for a while now and so good to see it finally happening.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying BF is badly coached?

Or that we're being badly let down by certain posters? Or that some posters with low post counts should post bigger numbers? Or that those with good opinions should be more aggressive with them?

I'm off to start a Bye Bye Kimbo thread - who's with me?

Do we really know that "all the flair and dash" has been "coached out of Atley"? For me this has become a truism. I think we are more likely to share a view that he hasn't made the most of his potential, but the reasons for that are debatable. Could we say "He has natural gifts and refuses to use them properly?" or "...doesn't know how to use them properly?" I'll agree it's sad, but I'm not convinced about the vox pop view here..

A little from column A, a little from B. Players should be better at producing from raw talent even if the coaching is average. having said that, coaches feedback and want for a particular structure can definitely stifle productivity.

I'm off to start a Bye Bye Kimbo thread - who's with me?
Thanks for the question. I'm confident in the path we're taking with newer posters, and backing in the older ones who have proven themselves over time. I understand I'm in an opinion industry and not everyone will agree with me.

I honestly don't take any notice of "Bye Bye" threads and can't imagine this will be any different. That sort of stuff is for the fans, not me.

ssshhhhh, we are s**t, sack scottts... we are weak, and and dumb and mentally soft.

Sack them all, we collectively hate everything.
After astrovic called me out for being too soft to play out this thread, and reading on, I am now going to save myself the read in future and subscribe to your cliff notes.

Still scratching my head about Cunners nominating for the ruck contest v. Sandi when Goldy was hobbling off in the last. Our best and cleanest clearance player going up in the forward line for a ruck contest he was guaranteed to lose when he could have been sharking the tap...
All these little brain fades conspire to create the outcome we saw at the end.

Do we really know that "all the flair and dash" has been "coached out of Atley"? For me this has become a truism. I think we are more likely to share a view that he hasn't made the most of his potential, but the reasons for that are debatable. Could we say "He has natural gifts and refuses to use them properly?" or "...doesn't know how to use them properly?" I'll agree it's sad, but I'm not convinced about the vox pop view here.

I tend to agree (to a point) with your comments re Atley. His real solution is having a Coach or mentor who CAN get the best from his talents, which in other words help him get to another level, I am also a very strong believer that all players (not just North) have the potential to take that next 'Big Step', unfortunately for most people it cannot be done alone, it requires someone good enough to take them there....North does not appear to have anyone that has such skill to mentor. North really needs to bring in someone to take players to their next level.....maybe a Pagan type person?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still scratching my head about Cunners nominating for the ruck contest v. Sandi when Goldy was hobbling off in the last. Our best and cleanest clearance player going up in the forward line for a ruck contest he was guaranteed to lose when he could have been sharking the tap...
All these little brain fades conspire to create the outcome we saw at the end.
We should have learnt from Geelong, and not nominated a ruckman. Have an extra player at ground level and try to read the ball off Sandilands.

Didn't really rate his [Gibson's] game to be honest. ...he didn't have any kind of major impact on the game.

...while his numbers this season are pretty much on par with last season - he doesn't seem to be having quite as much impact on games this year.
Agree with this. He's never had the impact his numbers would suggest to me, and this year it's even lower.

Good comments B2B. On the second one, I'm not Brad basher, but I'm with you on his press conferences over the past two seasons.

Hand on heart cannot remember the last time I watched one in its entirety. I'll go and have a look at some to see specifics. The calling out of the umpires for example. Watch a whole one to see what he has to say? Nah, it's a waste of time.

And if you think i'm passive aggressive, you're wrong, I don't believe in that psycho babble either, I'm aggressive, pure and simple and I ******* hate losing and losers. I'm a narcissist, I'm a sociopath, I have zero care for anything other myself, my bank balance and my football club.
Cheery mother aren't you? Remind me NOT to catch up with you for a beer should anyone on this board suggest such!
It's ok, you weren't invited anyway.
Have met IRL. Can vouch. :thumbsu:
So, an aggressive drunk that doesn't shout? o_O:eek:

After having watched a fair few of Atleys 137 games the simple answer is that he is a good average footballer
Strong point is pace,and often plays a good defenders game
Weak point is non aggression, sometimes get thrashed and doesn't seem particularly skilled by hand or foot, panics and has only quite average awareness

Plenty of players like him, just not that good...the Big Step theory, file it with Big Foot

A little from column A, a little from B. Players should be better at producing from raw talent even if the coaching is average. having said that, coaches feedback and want for a particular structure can definitely stifle productivity.
We can't say that each hasn't had an influence. We can't know for sure, however, what impact each has had and which, if any, has been more influential. Indeed, no-one can, not even Atley. Hence my 'calling out' of a comment that I think has become a 'truism' (accepted wisdom) when in fact it's entirely contestable. It bothers me because it becomes, for example, a plank in a bigger narrative about the coaching when in fact it may have nothing, or relatively little, to do with it.

In any case, my opposing view is that the raw materials weren't great to start with. I don't think Atley has the wherewithal to reach the levels people expect of him. Think of him as the opposite of Simpkin. One makes time stand still so you can evade bullets, the other makes it fast forward so that decision-making becomes severely impeded.

Kimbo - that is what player development is all about - identifying the talent, promoting it and expanding it into a fruitful career for player and club.

It simply hasn't happened with At's - he has wonderful gifts and talent which led him to be being a first rounder.

Of course each player must take their own responsibility re training, professionalism, fitting in, but the club, the institution that he is working within, must take a greater share in a team based sport.

How many times have we seen At's in the guts or in the forward 50 able to use his pace to exploit slower defenders. On my viewing 1 minute per every 100.

Versus how many times have we seen him in a locked down defender role? Quite often. Opposition coaches drag him back to the goal line so he can't use his natural talent - our coaching panel have allowed this to happen for the past 5 years.

This supports the notion that his natural abilities have been coached out of him - the issue is can he ever get them back?

I would hate to see At's leave but under current coaching structures you would have to say it is in his best interests if he wants to maximise his potential.

2 marks a game is above average for Goldy. Usually 1.5

Averaging 3.8 this year. That's pretty close to 1.5 I guess

Career average of 3.0 a game and never dropped below 2.0 which was his rookie season

Facts are your friend.

Thanks for the question. I'm confident in the path we're taking with newer posters, and backing in the older ones who have proven themselves over time. I understand I'm in an opinion industry and not everyone will agree with me.

I honestly don't take any notice of "Bye Bye" threads and can't imagine this will be any different. That sort of stuff is for the fans, not me.
Sorry. You're taking up alot of posting space on the north board. The geelong board made an offer for your services (only if the North mods promise to partially mod your posting). Twinkletoes and the other mods have accepted. They are confident that certain younger posters will step up and fill the void.

This works well when you have dominant one on one players and the opposition doesn't have a footspeed advantage otherwise all contests are even and result in a spillage that the faster side will exploit to reach the ball first, clear it to a free player and progress to the next contest.

It works really well if you have a dominant stoppage team but if the ball gets loose, man on man tends to cluster players and allow run and carry offensive movement for 70m+. Even if you notice a quick break heading towards your defenders that ability to run 20m+ in free space lets the ball carrier loft it over your zone.

Thanks for reply, but my man on man theory presumes that there are no free man options, just mutilple one on ones, attempting to (a) either retain posession, or (b) cause a turnover and regain posession.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back