Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't get the top end talent though. Who was the last bottom 4 team to land a big fish, Judd-Carlton?
They get top draft picks, year after year - hence the solution isn't more top draft picks. They also have always had the option to bring in mature depth, but have chosen not to (and indeed pushed it out), contributing to the s**t-ness. The solution to that is either forcing them to do so, GC package-style, or overhauling the footy dept to the point they realise youth-alone isn't a viable strategy and is burning out the talent they do have.

Last edited:
Not for head office to take over any footy dept. But I kind of like the idea of the AFL having Neil Balme on permanent payroll and requiring the basket case of the day (currently Kangas) to use him as a consultant at AFL's cost.
I think about the role the AFL played in installing Bartlett, Jackson and Roos at Melbourne, and Swann, Noble and Fagan at Brisbane. They only have that power at dependent clubs of course, hence the likes of Carlton and Essendon managing to cling to mediocrity for far longer.

North should get a priority pick but the pick should be pick 10. Still a good pick but not taking a top ten player away from other clubs in the bottom half.

What hope does North have of nailing the priority pick? I mean midfield heavy draft and they already have enough mids

Last year going Phillips over McDonald/Barras was a bizarre decision North needs talls
they also needed leadership and it sounds like Phillips has that in spades

What hope does North have of nailing the priority pick? I mean midfield heavy draft and they already have enough mids

Last year going Phillips over McDonald/Barras was a bizarre decision North needs talls

Not as bizarre as many may think. Yes they really needed a tall but Phillips is a born leader who baring any injuries will be a star. He rated off the chart as far as potential leadership and his preparation. Also a kid who will work on every aspect of his game. They need midfielders as well. They have a few old bodies and a bit of junk in the young blokes in that department as well.
They are a mile away. Will not matter if it takes until the 2022 draft to find some KP prospects. Looks like they will get one in the mid season draft if he nominates.

they also needed leadership and it sounds like Phillips has that in spades
isn't barass rated for leadership and mcdonald isn't the worst

depends that will get the best kid this year and there are leaders there

maybe worried about keeping the interstate kids in state?

Not as bizarre as many may think. Yes they really needed a tall but Phillips is a born leader who baring any injuries will be a star. He rated off the chart as far as potential leadership and his preparation. Also a kid who will work on every aspect of his game. They need midfielders as well. They have a few old bodies and a bit of junk in the young blokes in that department as well.
They are a mile away. Will not matter if it takes until the 2022 draft to find some KP prospects. Looks like they will get one in the mid season draft if he nominates.
I don't think anyone could have picked Edwards doing what he did

But looking at the club I would have gone McDonald or Barrass

Phillips is a bit like Rowell maybe getting him in to drive the culture?

They get top draft picks, year after year - hence the solution isn't more top draft picks. They also have always had the option to bring in mature depth, but have chosen not to (and indeed pushed it out), contributing to the sh*t-ness. The solution to that is either forcing them to do so, GC package-style, or overhauling the footy dept to the point they realise youth-alone isn't a viable strategy and is burning out the talent they do have.
We're on the same page.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone better do a shooting stars meme of that dive from Rohan
Nope. Hard to dive once you have leapt off the ground. I am with Hodge . Free kick.

I wonder if they can objectively measure the tempo/intensity of a game.

I assume pressure ratings are relative to each game.

The commentators keep talking up the pressure being applied by the Saints.

The intensity of the hits and tackles looks pretty low. The speed with which space is being closed looks pretty slow.

The game looks sluggish to me, a 6/10 for intensity.

Last edited:
I wonder if the can objectively measure the tempo/intensity of a game.

I assume pressure ratings are relative to each game.

The commentators keep talking up the pressure being applied by the Saints.

The intensity of the hits and tackles looks pretty low. The speed with which space is being closed looks pretty slow.

The game looks sluggish to me, a 6/10 for intensity.
Pretty sure fox have a pressure points gauges in a graphic

Not sure if they still do that graphic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back