Official Anthony Davis is about to hit the stratosphere thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok bro. You dont take criticism very well haha. I was just having a chat about your team but you got way too defensive.

nufan - tag, you're in

bFyPc.gif

nufan - tag, you're in

bFyPc.gif
Why are you getting so defensive?

The next best player on your roster is Tyreke Evans. He can play sure, but he isn't all-star calibre and which finals contending team has a player such as Tyreke as their second best option. No one, hence it's a shame they've failed to put other star talent around him.

They have made moves, they have all just been poor ones.

Unilateral declarations are fun.

The next best player on your roster is Tyreke Evans. He can play sure, but he isn't all-star calibre and which finals contending team has a player such as Tyreke as their second best option. No one, hence it's a shame they've failed to put other star talent around him.

Tyreke's not supposed to be our 'second star'.

We have a group of five players - Reke, Jrue, EG, Ryno and Asik - who are well paid and supposed to function as a supporting cast. Unfortunately three of these guys have been cut down by injuries.

In 2011 Gordon was being mentioned in the same breath as Curry & Harden, Tyreke was the reigning ROTY & Jrue was on the verge of becoming an All-Star.

A

Alright I'm tagging in here. The team you are talking about is New Orleans, not the hot spot destination for free agents what so ever. Look at our roster in 08/09 the year after we tied the lakers for the best record in the league, arguably the leagues MVP from the season before, Chandler and West roaming the posts and protecting the rims. Who was the very best free agent we could accquire? an over paid James ******* Posey.

A team that needs to build through the draft/get lucky in the draft (Paul and west) Trader and at the last resort probably over pay for free agents. Nobody is begging to be traded or take a pay cut to play in NOLA, in the next 6 or so years that may change with a culture rebirth and Anthony Davis being here for that minimum amount of time. We can't all be Chicago and have Pau knocking our door down to play for us, that being said Chicago have drafted well.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and take a look at the free agency class the year Tyreke got signed(and traded for)
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/...-agents-ranking-list-dwight-howard-chris-paul
He was number 6 on that list of identifiable talent that we could get, with number 2 and number 7 having already played for us within 5 years. Out of that top 10 only 4 are still at the clubs the signed for. AND the player we traded to get him are no longer at the clubs we traded them to. And Tyreke evans earning $11 mill next season over say Reggie Jackson who will make $20 Mill (sorry Drumroe you're in the same boat as us, just an example)

Now to look at the rest of the roster or at least the top end talent of it.

Ryan Anderson: Signed in a sign and trade deal for Gustavo Ayon, I'm calling that a win for us. Injuries and personal issues have quite significantly derailed his career to an extent, hopefully he comes back to what he was, which at his best was a 6"10 offensive rebounding 43% 3 point shooter (a liabilty on defence but so is Durant and we don't here much about that do we) We stood firm when we wanted Asik and refused to give up Ryno, what did we give up? Turns out to be Sam Dekker if he's good he's good and shame on us, but we have a known quantity in Ryno.

Jrue Holiday: We picked Nerlens Noel for Philly and traded the draft rights away of Dario Saric who still isn't in the league for him. In his time in Philly was an All star point guard. A model of comnsistency who up until the point of playing for us had never suffered an Injury. Unfortunately fractured tibias are a bitch to heal. A wise investment at the time because having a frontcourt of a PF and C (davis and Noel) who are both under 7 foot and collectively weigh less than Zach Randolphs uniform is a good move, on the correct assumption that Davis alone is the future of this club.

Gordon: Well we'er stuck with him out of Chris paul strongarming his way out of New Orleans (trust me I prefer the deal we got from stern much more than the original deal) the plan is now to make into a solid starter/rotation player who can shoot 3's drive the ball and jump into passing lanes.

Asik:Tell me a champiosnhip team outside of the Heat that didn't have a 7 foot rim protecter in the last 20 years. Every single one of them was getting paid before then. I'm personally not that high on Asik but he is in the top half of rim protecting big men in the league and is paid what the market dictates, plus we really only gave up Sam Dekker, if we need to move him along the line. He is very tradeable with the cap raising over the next 2 years.

This teams weakness isn't building a roster around Davis, it's having a healthy roster around Davis. Defensively on paper we are iffy everyone can see that. On paper offensively? We will run almost every single team off the court if healthy and THAT is the biggest problem.

Give me a team that has had worse luck with injuries over the last 3 years without including OKC.

This thread is dedicated to the fact that Anthony Davis is a prodigal once in a generation talent. So perhaps compare him to other players who have towed other dumpster fire rosters to better places.

As good as some players are, nobody wins it by them self. Jordan tried and failed without Pippen, Lebron tried pretty much by himself and failed, Magic had Kareem, Bird had Mchale and Parish.

Oh and jod23 How far has Rose taken your beloved Bulls, if you're going to s**t on roster bulding let's not forget you surrounded the youngest ever MVP with Boozer, Kirk, and Taj. None of which would get a game on this current Pels squad.

And at the very end of the day Unless you're a Warriors supporter nobodies done s**t/

images

Yep New Orleans been extremely unlucky with injuries. Not only have the injuries kept the players out, but EG is a shell lf his former self, Holiday looks like he could be going the same way and who knows with Anderson

Just need Jrue to get over his injuries, then I think we'll see a much improved Pelicans.

I believe they're restricting his minutes for the first couple of months, so hopefully he's ready to fire after new years. Just need Davis to somehow hold the fort on his own for the beginning of the season.

As good as some players are, nobody wins it by them self. Jordan tried and failed without Pippen, Lebron tried pretty much by himself and failed, Magic had Kareem, Bird had Mchale and Parish.

Oh and jod23 How far has Rose taken your beloved Bulls, if you're going to s**t on roster bulding let's not forget you surrounded the youngest ever MVP with Boozer, Kirk, and Taj. None of which would get a game on this current Pels squad.

And at the very end of the day Unless you're a Warriors supporter nobodies done s**t/
I dont get why everyone is so defensive. I wasnt taking shots at NOLA, I was genuinely bummed that the moves they have made havent worked thus far. Im a NOLA fan. They are like my second team. We all know I love the Brow. I want NOLA to go well. It's just a shame the moves they have made have failed. The good thing is that AD is sticking around so luring FA's in the future is not going to be a problem.

Im aware the Bulls surrounded Rose with gash. It was annoying, althought I wouldnt dump Taj in with Boozer and Kirk. Taj would definitely play for NOLA aswell. He's a talented PF. Would back up AD really well.

He's been a little underwhelming this season. Needs a fall back move he can go to. Also needs better spacing in the offense (not his fault).

I'm not too worried just yet. Wouldn't be easy playing the reigning champs twice in the opening 3 games when you're trying to get into a groove for the season. I couldn't think of a current big man who I'd prefer on my team. I suspect that most of the criticism surrounding him will connect with him not having an amazing supporting cast or a clear cut Robin to his Batman to take pressure off.

I did watch him play yesterday and obviously he was completely overshadowed by what was happening at the other end. Can't see him being MVP this season while Curry is doing his thing. Can't see him not being top 5 though.

I'm not too worried just yet. Wouldn't be easy playing the reigning champs twice in the opening 3 games when you're trying to get into a groove for the season. I couldn't think of a current big man who I'd prefer on my team. I suspect that most of the criticism surrounding him will connect with him not having an amazing supporting cast or a clear cut Robin to his Batman to take pressure off.

I did watch him play yesterday and obviously he was completely overshadowed by what was happening at the other end. Can't see him being MVP this season while Curry is doing his thing. Can't see him not being top 5 though.

Don't get me wrong. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. Dude is 22. He better have something still to work.

What more could you want?
Doesn't seem to have the killer instinct of a Kobe, Curry etc. Still looks a bit uncertain as the go to guy constantly.

His post game isn't that great either, needs a few proper go to moves. He can score from the post, but the Warriors last week exposed some of his offensive flaws big time.

Right now Curry is far and away the best player in the game in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the Davis stuff is pretty reactionary, both pro and cons.

He's a freak, but he's just not at that MVP or DPOY level yet. When he starts commanding a regular double-team and our defence is ranked in the top half of the league, then the discussion can be had.

What more could you want?

What more could you have wanted with David Robinson, at the same point of his career? After his first year or two in the league, people would have probably expected him to shoot past Jordan at some point. And he had a terrific career, but he never quite got to that level.

Davis is a fantastic player, but I just don't feel any rush to anoint him as a better player than LeBron, Durant and Curry until he earns it. If that means I'm going to be late on the bandwagon, well (shrugs shoulders).

Silly me took him at 1 in my Fantasy League & structured my whole team around him.

I sit here and watch Curry's start to the year and lament my decisions.

Funnily enough, I've got Tyreke in my team too, so the depression is quickly kicking in ...

The only sensible bet to make on the Pels is that they'll finish top-5 in the league in games missed due to injuries.

Every. Single. Freaking. Year.
We've got a lock on number 1.

Also that Chicago tattoo on Davis' arm gives me movement.

Agree stewie griffen?

We've got a lock on number 1.

Also that Chicago tattoo on Davis' arm gives me movement.

Agree stewie griffen?

Kirk missing games doesn't count towards your tally :p Just to show that we're not playing favourites, we won't include Perk's injury layoff either.

AD's Chicago tattoo is pretty easily explained...

Not many people know that nufan wrote the lyrics for that song in between some other projects;

Oooh ooh ooh, baby please don't go

I just want you to stay...

Lol at this reaction after 3 games in the season. Twice playing the GSW too. Haha.
Yet you're quick to anoint him as a better Garnett, Duncan or whatever.

If he wants to win rings he needs to perform against teams like Golden State. In the first game especially the way he was shut out of the game so easily was concerning.
Most of the Davis stuff is pretty reactionary, both pro and cons.

He's a freak, but he's just not at that MVP or DPOY level yet. When he starts commanding a regular double-team and our defence is ranked in the top half of the league, then the discussion can be had.
Definitely. Like I said, he really does need to get down on the block more, learn a go to move with a drop step or something, that will make things real tough for the opposition. Right now there's a lot of mid range shots, and tough drives. They don't exactly command a double.
What more could you have wanted with David Robinson, at the same point of his career? After his first year or two in the league, people would have probably expected him to shoot past Jordan at some point. And he had a terrific career, but he never quite got to that level.

Davis is a fantastic player, but I just don't feel any rush to anoint him as a better player than LeBron, Durant and Curry until he earns it. If that means I'm going to be late on the bandwagon, well (shrugs shoulders).
Yeah people are too quick to call players the next great such and such. I've always been real high on Davis, but I'm not as easily convinced that he'll just dominate the NBA. Not yet at least.

Yet you're quick to anoint him as a better Garnett, Duncan or whatever.
******* lol, he is about 22 years old. He is just a kid. In time I do think he will be better than Garnett. Duncan is tough to catch just because of what a huge winner he is. Duncan came into a great situation too. Garnett and Davis have not been so lucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back