BigFooty Official Official BigFooty Phantom Draft - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order

1. Adelaide - Elijah Hollands
2. North Melbourne - Riley Thilthorpe
3. Western Bulldogs - Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (matched bid)
4. Sydney - Logan McDonald
5. Hawthorn - Denver Grainger-Barras
6. Gold Coast - Will Phillips
7. Sydney - Braeden Campbell (matched bid)
8. Essendon - Archie Perkins
9. Essendon - Nikolas Cox
10. Essendon - Nathan O'Driscoll
11. Port Adelaide - Lachie Jones (matched bid)
12. Adelaide - Finlay Macrae
13. GWS - Tanner Bruhn
14. North Melbourne - Zac Reid
15. Fremantle - Heath Chapman
16. Collingwood - Reef McInnes (matched bid)
17. GWS - Oliver Henry
18. GWS - Jack Carroll
19. Collingwood - Eddie Ford
20. Richmond - Brayden Cook
21. Melbourne - Zavier Maher
22. Melbourne - Blake Coleman (unmatched bid)
23. GWS - Errol Gulden (unmatched bid)
24. St Kilda - Sam Berry

25. Adelaide - Caleb Poulter
26. Adelaide - Tom Powell
27. Hawthorn - Jackson Callow
28. Brisbane - Max Heath
29. Gold Coast - Alex Davies (pre-listed selection)
30. Melbourne - Fraser Rosman
31. Fremantle - Brandon Walker (matched bid)
32. GWS - Tom Highmore
33. North Melbourne - Joel Western (unmatched bid)
34. Carlton - Bailey Laurie
35. Richmond - Jack Ginnivan
36. Carlton - Brodie Lake
37. North Melbourne - Oliver Davis
38. Adelaide - Kaine Baldwin

39. Essendon - Liam McMahon
40. Hawthorn - Luke Edwards
41. Hawthorn - Zane Trew
42. Sydney - Shannon Neale
43. Hawthorn - Connor Downie
44. Western Bulldogs - Isiah Winder
45. Geelong - Kalin Lane
46. Brisbane - Jake Bowey
47. Western Bulldogs - Corey Durdin
48. Fremantle - Liam Kolar
49. Fremantle - Finn Gorringe
50. Brisbane - Conor Stone
51. Port Adelaide - Zac Dumesny
52. Richmond - Josh Treacy

53. West Coast - Luke Pedlar
54. Richmond - Maurice Rioli Jnr (matched bid)
55. St Kilda - Jackson Cardillo
56. Essendon - Cody Brand (matched bid)
57. Collingwood - Tariek Newchurch
58. St Kilda - Max Pescud
59. Collingwood - Ollie Lord
60. Sydney - James Borlase
61. Collingwood - Ryan Angwin
62. North Melbourne - Malachy Carruthers
63. Port Adelaide - Phoenix Spicer
64. Gold Coast - Joel Jeffrey (pre-listed selection)
65. Carlton - Charlie Lazzaro
66. West Coast - Max Holmes
67. Geelong - Cam Fleeton

Preseason Draft

1. Adelaide - Jackson Hately

Rookie Draft

1. Adelaide - Henry Smith
2. North Melbourne - Seamus Mitchell
3. Sydney - Dominic Bedendo
4. Hawthorn - Jackson Ramsay
5. Gold Coast - Rhys Nicholls
6. Essendon - Josh Eyre
7. Fremantle - Hugh Dixon
8. Carlton - Riley Holder
9. GWS - Nick Stevens
10. Melbourne - Callum Park
11. Western Bulldogs - Ewan MacPherson
12. West Coast - Jack Avery
13. Collingwood - Taj Schofield
14. St Kilda - Connor Ballenden
15. Brisbane - Carter Michael
16. Port Adelaide - Matthew Allison
17. Geelong - Patrick Walker
18. Richmond - Campbell Edwardes

Last edited:
1. There's no trading in this draft, so whether it's there or not doesn't actually matter
2. The wide assumption is that the SUNS will make 1 live selection this year, considering their list is already chockablock
Not really based on today's demotions to rookie list. Even after all expected promotions to senior list SUNS now have a senior spot for pick 27 and there is a decent chance they will use it. Was looking forward to see who is selected. FYI, at present SUNS have 32 players on senior list.

Last edited:
#30 Melbourne - Fraser Rosman (194cm, 84kg from Vic Metro)

Last pick for Melbourne already, so I'm going for potential. And again, I'm looking at adding more speed.

Like a lot of the Victorians, who knows what would have happened in 2020 for Rosman. He could have pushed into the first round mix, or maybe he would have gone undrafted. Who knows really. But whenever I've seen him, he's looked promising - from U16s a couple of years ago to some impressive stuff in practice matches for Sandringham at the start of the year. I always like it when players back themselves in, and Rosman is someone who looks to use his run to beat his opponents - a bit like Sam Frost in that regard. And he just has that bit of x factor about him up forward.

While there are lots of unknowns, what we do know is that he's a super athlete with elite endurance and speed. Now he just needs to continue to add some weight and get stronger through the body. Despite his height though, he is best suited to playing as a third tall forward - or even off a wing. He's gotten comparisons to players like Isaac Smith and Jaidyn Stephenson. So that lack of strength isn't a deal breaker by any means.

Drafting a tall is always risky, drafting a Victorian tall this year is even riskier. But Rosman has enough versatility and athleticism to find a role somewhere.
You had me at Sam Frost

Pick 28. Brisbane Lions.

Max Heath:
Ruck.
Sandringham Dragons.
203cm.
94kg.

Max Heath is a late developer and was a standout in the preseason for Sandringham against the Oakleigh Chargers. Talked up by former Adelaide and Collingwood recruiter Matt Rendell on SEN and by eDPS here.

This is very much a leap of faith pick on two fronts. First that Heath’s preseason performance wasn’t his one standout game for the year. And secondly I haven’t seen any footage of , but I’m trusting those who have.

Standing at 203cm and already 94kg’s, Heath has a strong frame on him, and could eventually build his body up to something similar to Stef Martin.

The Lions will be in need of ruck depth, after trading out Stef Martin to the Western Bulldogs, and moving Archie Smith and Connor Ballenden to the rookie list, both of whom are out of contract at the end of 2021, and unlikely to be offered another contract.

You can read @eDPS’s write up on Draft Central to find out what type of ruck Max Heath is.

There were a couple of other players I had in mind. I would loved to have put a bid in here, but Brisbane doesn’t usually bid on other teams kids (unless their brother already plays at the club)
Isn’t he a lions supporter? Perfect fit!

Ysaye hasn't been on since just before I made the bid, Chris25 are we assuming match or wait for Ysaye to get on?

We’ll give those in WA a chance to wake up. I’m sure he’ll match, but we’re on track to finish it quickly anyway.

SUNS will pre-select Davies and Jeffrey for free. I realize that SUNS got a lot of concessions but you can't just take away pick 27 (29) from them. Quite possibly they will use it or trade it for future pick. Who runs this draft? :)

Me.

Not really based on today's demotions to rookie list. Even after all expected promotions to senior list SUNS now have a senior spot for pick 27 and there is a decent chance they will use it. Was looking forward to see who is selected. FYI, at present SUNS have 32 players on senior list.
I don't know why you create a big fuzz about it . One player more or less not a big deal/difference .

I definitely agree in regards to Thilthorpe and McDonald.

I don't think McDonald is the sure thing he's being made out to be. He certainly has the runs on the board, but he isn't without fault. Whereas with Thilthorpe, it seems like sometimes people are looking for ways to mark him down - perhaps they are scared off by guys like Wright, Patton and Boyd and group Thilthorpe in with them because of his height. But he's certainly got them all beat for athleticism.

I think had the National Champs been on and Thilthorpe just rolled around in the ruck doing as he pleased as an extra midfielder and pushed forward in those games, people would be have a very different view of him.

He's been rucking against men in the SANFL.

He would have absolutely dominated this year against fellow 18 year olds.

He's a better prospect than Grundy at the same age.

Pick 31: Fremantle – Brandon Walker (bid matched)
Sorry all PMBangers on holiday and forgot my charger for the laptop - yes will definitely match on B. Walker.

Pick 31 - Brandon Walker
East Fremantle
Defender / Utility

Pros:

• Very athletic, good speed (and uses that to break lines), agility and leap reasonable size (183-186cm);
  • Good reader of the play and intercept mark; and
  • Does the 1% and is effective as a defender; can arguably match up on smalls or mediums.

Queries:
  • Has played wing a little but looks most suited to the backline
  • Arguably playing a position that the team drafting for already has a lot of

Very happy to pick him up with only pick 31.

Last edited:
Sorry all PMBangers on holiday and forgot my charger for the laptop - yes will definitely match on B. Walker.

Pick 31 - Brandon Walker
East Fremantle
Defender / Utility

Pros:

• Very athletic, good speed (and uses that to break lines), agility and leap reasonable size (183-186cm);
  • Good reader of the play and intercept mark; and
  • Does the 1% and is effective as a defender; can arguably match up on smalls or mediums.

Queries:
  • Has played wing a little but looks most suited to the backline
  • Arguably playing a position that the team drafting for already has a lot of

Very happy to pick him up with only pick 31.
Hope the holiday is going well

I think had the National Champs been on and Thilthorpe just rolled around in the ruck doing as he pleased as an extra midfielder and pushed forward in those games, people would be have a very different view of him.

He's been rucking against men in the SANFL.

He would have absolutely dominated this year against fellow 18 year olds.

He's a better prospect than Grundy at the same age.

Thilthorpe lost against his opponent in the ruck in the under 17's All Stars game last year.

Thilthorpe lost against his opponent in the ruck in the under 17's All Stars game last year.

Yes, one very inconsequential game.

JUH also went goalless........ I somehow doubt that would have translated to this year though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 32: GWS GIANTS – Tom Highmore
Pick 32 - GWS GIANTS

Tom Highmore
South Adelaide
Tall Defender
192 cm 89 kg

Tom-Highmore-head-shot.png
The upper end of his range, but to round out the National Draft selections of GWS I've gone with mature ager and former Academy Member Tom Highmore, one of the best Mature Age prospects for this years draft, Tom made the move to the SANFL from the NEAFL and improved on his form in a much stronger league, showing that despite being quite developed already there's room for improvement, and I think in an AFL system with stronger players around him, that's bound to happen. When you're looking at the strengths of Highmore there's a lot there to like, his marking, read of the play and disposal skills are highlights for a taller player.

Doesn't have many weaknesses, he's a little underwhelming speed wise but makes up for it with positioning and how proactive he is, truly a Round 1 ready player, and one I'd say can come in replace Aidan Corr really well.

As I've said it's the upper end of his range, some might say too early but I don't think anything else around here in terms of KPDs excites me a whole heap, and he's certainly not lasting until the rookie draft if we do one, and the other couple of players I was considering likely will be

giantroo up now

Pick 33: North Melbourne – Joel Western (bid not matched)
Pick 33 - North Melbourne - Joel Western

Joel Western
Claremont/Fremantle Academy
172 cm/ 67kg
Midfielder/Small Forward

A creative speed machine, Joel Western is the perfect addition to North’s midfield and forward mix. Averaging 22.6 disposals, 4.3 Inside-50s, 4.3 clearances, 5 score involvements and 2.9 tackles a game in the WAFL Colts, Western can play on the inside and outside and will bring welcome speed, agility, endurance and aggression to the midfield of Ben Cunnington, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Jy Simpkin. He has also shown that he can be an effective forward, providing spark, creativity and providing plenty of scoreboard pressure.

Testing Data

Standing Vertical Jump: 80cm
Running Vertical Jump (R/L): 88cm/91cm
Speed (20m): 2.88 seconds
Agility: 8.47 seconds
Endurance (Yo-yo): 21.5

ModernArtillery you're up

Last edited:
Pick 34: Carlton – Bailey Laurie
Pick 34 - Carlton

Bailey Laurie
Oakleigh Chargers
Midfielder/Forward

I really like Laurie’s game and project it to translate somewhere between Jack Higgins and Jade Gresham. He’s not big and not super fast but he’s a really good footballer. He’s safe by hand and foot with his delivery inside forward 50 something I value highly. He has forward craft and has shown enough to suggest there is midfield scope down the track. He will start his career as a half forward and I expect him to put immediate pressure on the likes of Fisher, Gibbons and Newnes etc.

Smythe you're up!

Pick 35: Richmond - Jack Ginnivan
Ok in this position there was a consideration to bid for Connor Donnie, picking Isiah Winder, however we will match any bid on Rioli jnr from here on out. Liam Kolar was also a consideration but I rate him more as a rookie although his upside could be huge. In this instance there was a player I could not leave on the board, who I see as having a high ceiling and can be taught multiple roles and also plays the Richmond style.
PICK 35 - Richmond - Jack Ginnivan - Bendigo Pioneers - 184cm -77kg
STRENGTHS:

• Goal sense
  • Footy IQ
  • Metres gained
  • Evasion
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Disposal
IMPROVEMENTS:

• Midfield development
  • Defensive pressure
Jack played 12 games last year averaging 16 disp, 3.5 m, 2 tackles and 1.6 goals per game.
Has huge potential and huge upside with his game play and football knowledge. His high footy iq shines throughout his play, with his ability to stay in the contest and link in the chains of play.
He has an evasive side step and seems to have/create his own time in the contest to be able to burst away and deliver the ball efficiently or handball it out to a team mate. His play is creative and team oriented.
his forward half play is already very good and he was destined to play more midfield and across the backline this year to improve those areas.
Jack is someone I see flourishing in a full time professional environment.
He has all the tools there to make it at the next level and I see him as someone who could learn a midfield role similar to what Richmond are doing with Thompson Dow (a creative burst from stoppages player who can win their own ball) but I think he will most likely find himself learning a defensive role first and learning to play across the back flank using his agility, speed, creativeness and effective ball use in gaining meters for his team and delivering the ball to the forward line.
Who better to help him learn the craft than Bachar Houli.

Last edited:
Pick 36: Carlton – Brodie Lake
Pick 36 - Carlton

Brodie Lake
Northern Territory/Central District
Midfielder/Forward

I really like Lake's forward craft as a strong medium type who is capable in the air, strong in the contest and skilled enough to be a threat from anywhere inside 50. This gives him a chance to play some footy early as he builds his tank and midfield craft. As a midfielder his speed and athleticism allows him to win and accumulate on the outside while his physicality and strength allows him to win his share of the contested footy. I think he has the scope to be a handy third or fourth string midfielder who can spend considerable time in the forward half as a dangerous marking, goal kicking forward.

giantroo you're up

Pick 36 - Carlton

Brodie Lake
Northern Territory/Central District
Midfielder/Forward

I really like Lake's forward craft as a strong medium type who is capable in the air, strong in the contest and skilled enough to be a threat from anywhere inside 50. This gives him a chance to play some footy early as he builds his tank and midfield craft. As a midfielder his speed and athleticism allows him to win and accumulate on the outside while his physicality and strength allows him to win his share of the contested footy. I think he has the scope to be a handy third or fourth string midfielder who can spend considerable time in the forward half as a dangerous marking, goal kicking forward.

giantroo you're up
Very much rate this pick

Pick 37: North Melbourne - Oliver Davis
Pick 37 - North Melbourne - Oliver Davis

Tasmania Devils/ Clarence
Height:
182cm
Weight: 75kg
Position: Inside midfielder
Champion data comparison: Caleb Serong

A midfield bull, Oliver Davis is a clearance and tackling machine. Strong and agile in the contest, he has clean hands and goes into every contest putting his body on the line.

2019 NAB League (13 games)
22 disposals, 5.1 inside-50s, 2.4 marks, 5.5 clearances, 1.2 score assists, 4.7 score involvements, 7.8 tackles, 130 ranking points

Highlights:

Thunderstruck

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back