2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, certainly agree with both your comments. If the boys play to their potential, and play for the team rather than themselves, they’ll give Sandringham a decent run for their money.
If they give them a run, or God forbid, beat them, then it will open the door for drafting for several more players.

Yep, some of these names could get into my ‘will’ category and some are in my ‘should’ category - if the world was fair. Unfortunately most of these guys simply won’t get the chance to show what they are capable of because they will be constrained by team orders, while a small core group of favourites will be allowed the freedom to attract the attention of recruiters.
I get
Yep, some of these names could get into my ‘will’ category and some are in my ‘should’ category - if the world was fair. Unfortunately most of these guys simply won’t get the chance to show what they are capable of because they will be constrained by team orders, while a small core group of favourites will be allowed the freedom to attract the attention of recruiters.
I think its more that Sheehan has to justify the national academy selections, so raves about them.. also the other "experts" who only really promote the Vic kids.

Our academy tends to beat the GWS academy a lot.
If you watch the game after half time, GWS were "hands on heads". Fitness was well below Swans.
Delahunty kept his "draftable" tag, but Greene and Raynor dented theirs.
Green only works in one direction.
Raynor definitely not a mid!
Swans beat them up physically and outskilled them.
Sandringham... on notice, still a couple to come back in, and the big boy Ellem will be better for his first hit out.

A tale of two half’s really. Swans were very poor indeed in the first half when, for the second game on the trot, their disposals were awful. I lost count of the handballs and kicks that missed their targets. We also failed to man up anywhere near enough and the Giants players were often on their own.

After the main break things totally changed though. After getting a couple of quick goals there was no looking back and we totally dominated. As the second half continued more and more of the game was played in our forward line.

If we play like we did in the first half when we play Sandringham we’ll get crushed. If we play like we did in the second half we’ll give them a fright.

I might post later about some of the individual boys performances if I have time.

How bout you let us know your "Wills" and your "Shoulds" and why or why not they will make the draft.

How bout you let us know your "Wills" and your "Shoulds" and why or why not they will make the draft.
I stated in a previous post who I thought the “wills” are - Rayner, Parks and Thorne. However, I also stated that an awful lot will depend on how all players go in the NAB League, Allies and Reserves games this season. Draft year usually ends up with a fair few broken and built reputations with some favourites falling away dramatically, while previously ‘unknowns’ burst onto the scene.

When I’ve got some free time I’ll try to comment on a few of the other players and where I think they might currently sit with regards to draft potential and why.

I dont think they will be up against a full strength Sandringham. I am pretty sure players move into Vic Metro Squads this weekend and also the Private Schools season starts this weekend so it will mean some of the Sandy elite will be missing.

View attachment 653431

Gulden is back.

Also we are going to kick those Sandringham Dragons back to wherever Sandringham is.
First thing I noticed what Jared Crouch's hand... trick of the photography but it looks like a claw!

Onto reality, hope it's a cracking game to take our minds off Thursday night...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am at the oval...I have an interest in the game before where Nthn Knights are playing GWS...might get to see the first qtr of the Swans game

View attachment 653456

I just looked here and while I can't be sure I am willing to bet J.Florent is either a brother or cousin of Oliver as obviously they have the same name but Oliver Florent was also a Sandringham Dragons player before being drafted.

Brother. Jai Florent.

#39 Jai Florent

The younger brother of Sydney Swans midfielder Ollie, Florent is starting to secure his position in the Dragons line-up with an impressive two-goal effort on Sunday. Playing as a small forward, the bottom-ager found enough of the football — while applying strong pressure around the goals with five tackles — to warrant further selection. Gaining vital experience at TAC Cup level this season, Florent could be one to watch in 2019.

Jai photographed when Ollie was drafted:
https://outline.com/SKTqAU
(sorry do not know how to link the photo directly)

Here

1555118385275.png

They look really similar. Easy to see that they are brothers. Also thanks for the link.

This might be more reliable, perhaps. Youtube is usually pretty solid

I love how the AFL is finally broadcasting these games so people get some real footage of these players, rather than 4 minutes of highlights from a total of 2 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back