2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what most people miss is a lot of these guys under no pressure are good kicks. It’s often only exposed when they are put under pressure and then we find out whether they are a good kick at AFL level.

At AFL level you get less time to dispose of the ball so it can expose a number of weaknesses in a players kicking ability including speed of decision making, how tight their kicking action is to get ball to foot fast, fluidly and accurately, things like actual athletic attributes like leg speed (as in the swinging action) and even confidence etc

It’s often not about them not being taught to kick properly. Some of these things can be overcome by players playing within themselves, knowing what they’re capable of and executing within those confines.
Agree with all this mase. Also just like to add that the lack of a opposite foot often put pressure on the kick. Hewitt was a prime example. Often got out of tight spaces because of the confidence in his left boot. Sam Mitchell was another. Shits me to tears the lack of an opposite side players have these days and I can only put it down to the junior training they get.

Agree with all this mase. Also just like to add that the lack of a opposite foot often put pressure on the kick. Hewitt was a prime example. Often got out of tight spaces because of the confidence in his left boot. Sam Mitchell was another. Shits me to tears the lack of an opposite side players have these days and I can only put it down to the junior training they get.
One of the greatest complement I ever received in footy was when I was coaching under 16/17. We were playing a “half field” game and I was filling in on one of the teams. A few kicks off both feet and one of the players said to me “are you left footed or right footed?”.

Under pressure in a real game however and my left foot would abandon me under actual pressure 😂

On a side note I used to practice my left foot a lot before training while waiting for the kids. By the end of coaching the side I could do a drop punt from the boundary and slot them more often than not!

One of the greatest complement I ever received in footy was when I was coaching under 16/17. We were playing a “half field” game and I was filling in on one of the teams. A few kicks off both feet and one of the players said to me “are you left footed or right footed?”.

Under pressure in a real game however and my left foot would abandon me under actual pressure 😂

On a side note I used to practice my left foot a lot before training while waiting for the kids. By the end of coaching the side I could do a drop punt from the boundary and slot them more often than not!

I sucked at soccer, tennis, horse riding and cricket as a kid. In fact the only sport I was actually quite good at was go-kart racing, the one sport that required very little hand/eye coordination :p

The u16 age group kicked off today’s 1km time trials in strong fashion, indicating a solid preparation. Zachary Nandlal took out the honours, closely followed by Joel Cochran and Hunter Pickett. Well done to all players.
u16 time trials.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/QBESydneySwansAcademy

Only one Swans academy player named in the AFL's Academy squad for 2022;
Lachlan Cabor, (New South Sales/Shellharbour/Sydney Swans Academy)

He was only 16yo when named in the NSW/ACT u-17 Rams team in July 2021; (others a year older incl Billy King, Gander and Sabolch).
https://aflnswact.com.au/u17-afl-nsw-act-rams-side-announced/

So not draft eligible next year.
(9 underage players were named in the AFL squad).

At 176cm, I'm tipping he won't solve any KPP deficiencies. :D

FWIW along with our one academy player three other players from the Northern academies were named (one from each) which equals the total of four from the Oakleigh Chargers alone.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Only one academy player named in the AFL's Academy squad for 2022;
Lachlan Cabor, (New South Sales/Shellharbour/Sydney Swans Academy)

He was only 16yo when named in the NSW/ACT u-17 Rams team in July 2021; (others a year older incl Billy King, Gander and Sabolch).
(all named in the NSW/ACT u-17 Rams team in July 2021;
https://aflnswact.com.au/u17-afl-nsw-act-rams-side-announced/ ).

I'm guessing he is not draft eligible next year.
(9 underage players were named in the AFL squad).

At 176cm, I'm tipping he won't solve any KPP deficiencies. :D

FWIW along with our one academy player three other players from the Northern academies were named, which equals the total of four from the Oakleigh Chargers alone,
:rolleyes:

Probably not but he is 16 so it is hard to tell how tall he will be in 2 years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to my nephew at Christmas. He is in the U19 squad for 2022 which is good news.
Training starts soon possibly next week I think.

Wishing your nephew all the very best in a big year for him and hope he puts his best foot forward. At the end of the year I hope his name comes under consideration.

To be honest I was disappointed not one of the 2021 grads made it on to our list. I know list management is tough at the best of times and Covid has made it worse. Still I think the absence of even one rookie spot must has have been a dagger in the heart of the 2021 kids and a morale sapping blow to those running around in 2022.

All of us hope the best for the 2022 players and please may they stay healthy and get plenty of games.

I am guessing we will all watch the namesake of The King! with great interest. Personally I will watch Tye Gander closely. If he shines and we pick him up I reckon the Club will pick up two new members in GWS Goose and Proper Gander . Neither will be able to resist.

Wishing your nephew all the very best in a big year for him and hope he puts his best foot forward. At the end of the year I hope his name comes under consideration.

To be honest I was disappointed not one of the 2021 grads made it on to our list. I know list management is tough at the best of times and Covid has made it worse. Still I think the absence of even one rookie spot must has have been a dagger in the heart of the 2021 kids and a morale sapping blow to those running around in 2022.

All of us hope the best for the 2022 players and please may they stay healthy and get plenty of games.

I am guessing we will all watch the namesake of The King! with great interest. Personally I will watch Tye Gander closely. If he shines and we pick him up I reckon the Club will pick up two new members in GWS Goose and Proper Gander . Neither will be able to resist.
I’m an enormous supporter of recruiting rookies from the Academy but you still have to be good enough.

“Morale sapping blow” is a stretch don’t you think?

No. I think it would have sent shock waves through the Academy.

If we have a spot in the mid year draft and one of the 2021 kids is doing well in the 2s, i really hope we pull the trigger.

Sorry to intrude, think this sort of devalues McAndrew's inclusion through the mid year draft to a degree, he's an academy graduate after all.

As for improvement into 2022, Billy King and Tye Gander already seem to have caught the eye, Josh Nicholls is also one that looked impressive in the U17's GWS v Sydney Academy matches. To go with Gander as an athletic yet somewhat raw type, TJ Speedy Coe could be one of those rookie list types with his relatively recent switch to Aussie Rules and athletic gifts, so there's a bit to be excited about, but 2023 is looking good for the Swans academy already and the one I'd be hanging my hat on, Ned Hawkins and Lachlan Cabor look very good

Sorry to intrude, think this sort of devalues McAndrew's inclusion through the mid year draft to a degree, he's an academy graduate after all.

As for improvement into 2022, Billy King and Tye Gander already seem to have caught the eye, Josh Nicholls is also one that looked impressive in the U17's GWS v Sydney Academy matches. To go with Gander as an athletic yet somewhat raw type, TJ Speedy Coe could be one of those rookie list types with his relatively recent switch to Aussie Rules and athletic gifts, so there's a bit to be excited about, but 2023 is looking good for the Swans academy already and the one I'd be hanging my hat on, Ned Hawkins and Lachlan Cabor look very good

Please don't apologise for intrusion when you are going to contribute constructively as you have.

We (particularly those in Melbourne) are grateful for the intel.

Please don't apologise for intrusion when you are going to contribute constructively as you have.

We (particularly those in Melbourne) are grateful for the intel.
Oh that's too nice! Despite the healthy rivalry I feel obliged given I know how frustrating it is as a Melbourne based GWS fan to get info!

Interestingly, Indhi Kirk (son of Brett) is 2022 eligible as well, has some nice traits but I thought there'd be some more news regarding that from the club

Onya Bangers for your work.

I’m an enormous supporter of recruiting rookies from the Academy but you still have to be good enough.

I would imagine quite a few of the academy kids set their sights to be drafted by the swans as a dream come true. Whenever a dream fails to realise even for kids it represents a moral sapping blow. These kids would have discussed this possibility endlessly amongst themselves. It's sad really. We have had a few years where there was nothing and even a few complaints from insiders that it wasn't a level playing field at times with one or two clearly favoured.

To this day I still 'feel' the pain of not being selected in the cricket representative team age 12. I wasn't good enough but it still hurt.

I see Sheather as a symbol of a breakthrough for the outliers. He wasn't amongst the prominent but made it and many will take heart the dream can come true whatever their distance from the top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back