Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t really understand why he looks petrified out there. He’s probably already a better player at VFL level than half the dudes running around for the opposition last night and he still looked scared. Macrae also was very nervous in his games too. Just haven’t really noticed it before in our young players.

I don’t really understand why he looks petrified out there. He’s probably already a better player at VFL level than half the dudes running around for the opposition last night and he still looked scared. Macrae also was very nervous in his games too. Just haven’t really noticed it before in our young players.

Just need to do a Few Things that make him Believe that he Belongs

This is not intended to be another Degoey bashing comment (Ive did enough of that last week) but with a minute to go and the game iced it would have been nice for him to pop it over the top to Ollie when he was on his own 20 out from goal on a 45. If he kicks a goal it would be a great confidence booster for the kid going into next week.
Thought the same at the time.

Never mind. He has some tools and while he looks to be keeping his head up and cracking in, we ought to keep him in seniors in a development year.

Heaps of players are. I knew a young bloke who played a few games for us a while back. He said he would barely sleep for the days leading up to the game, was knackered before he even got out their. Thats way breakout games are massive for these kids. It makes them think they belong.

You get some kids who don't feel it as much as others because that is just their personality but I'd think a pretty large % of kids would be Sh!tting themselves with nerves in their first handful of games.

He is not going to ever be a key forward. At best a third tall, but even then I don't see enough to suggest he'll get there. More an Elliott type probably (e.g. more a marking medium forward), but those types are rare.

Not sure he has Elliott explosiveness, iirc he was meant to be more Steve Johnson type.
Not sure I've seen any ground game xfactor skills from him yet.
Need 2 to 3 more preseasons to see what he can do.
Just pure development year for the first years really only want to see glimpses of their overall talent. (I think that's been the issue for the detractorsis that he hasn't as yet shown them small things), rarely going to get consistent performances in first years.

I dunno, whenever I’m watching a game on the boundary line I’m surprised by how terrifying the speed is up close.

We don't usually bring in kids with so little to base confidence on. They usually come in after a sustained block of good footy in the VFL. At the moment, 1 good game and you'll get selected. It's the problem with the just play the kids philosophy.

We don't usually bring in kids with so little to base confidence on. They usually come in after a sustained block of good footy in the VFL. At the moment, 1 good game and you'll get selected. It's the problem with the just play the kids philosophy.
Except if you’re Brayden Sier - different rules for him it would seem.

Still better then WHE and C Brown and Thomas
I can’t agree, WHE offers much more as a leading high half forward atm both JT and Cal Brown offer better pressure and crumbing.

We also don’t help them by sticking them up forward all game not allowing them a chance to get into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats this VFL you speak of? Its three games old in 2021 coming off nothing in 2020. Of course more young players than usual will get selected for senior games off limited exposure, especially given our list structure heavily weighted to first and second years, our lack of depth in the sweet-spot 21-24 age bracket ,injuries, and form.

Statistically I guess it looks like an improvement on paper. I'd still drop him for next week's game.

I could understand that if we had an established player like Elliott ready to resume but the reality is we don’t. We either give the kid another run, or replace him with another prospective senior player. Happy to see Henry get a block of games.

One thing you have to consider is that it was clear that instructions were to lead early to drag defenders out to open space for degoey so we could isolate him 1v1 and the half forwards were to stay out the 50 arc and push back in front and centre once the inside 50 had been kicked and to crumb one or lock it in. That left many left to just guard space high HFF.

His timing was a little out and he dropped a few on wet slippery night where many had the slips and fumbles, add into that not being utilised when free or a couple free kicks. He drags a defender and is good aerially so creates a contest where he has to be manned up. You can see how much he loves being out there and his confidence growing as the game went on.

Worth persisting with, see a lot of Bailey Fritch about him and see him playing a role like a gunston or membrey for us but it will take time, worth persisting with. Was hoping his snapshot went in. Sydney have a few mid defenders he will match up well with.

I'm all for playing good kids, but this week against Sydney at the SCG, against the swans defence, this boy will be embarrassed. Doesnt have the physical tools to compete at this level yet. Also seems very slow.

As for guessing about the future, I am gonna say no on this boy. Prove me wrong Ollie!!!

why do you think he will not make is?

I could understand that if we had an established player like Elliott ready to resume but the reality is we don’t. We either give the kid another run, or replace him with another prospective senior player. Happy to see Henry get a block of games.
Happier to see Sier get a game. Then if there is space for Henry, fine, play him, but unlike North, the Swans are not going to allow him the opportunity for an easy kick.

Happier to see Sier get a game. Then if there is space for Henry, fine, play him, but unlike North, the Swans are not going to allow him the opportunity for an easy kick.

What did Sier do playing as a forward against Coburg?

He looks undersized and lacks a competitive edge to my eye. Don't like that someone that skinny can also look that slow and weak.

I reckon he's pretty slick when disposing the pill and zeros in on it nicely.. the bloke's body needs to develop though.

Patience re.. this bloke's gonna be a beauty.

North barely let him have easy kicks

He looks undersized and lacks a competitive edge to my eye. Don't like that someone that skinny can also look that slow and weak.

18 year old undersized. Not the first to be in their first year and considered skinny.

Competitive Edge isn't a worry , we saw his attack earlier in the pre season with his marking ability. You don't take those type of marks if you are timid and lack competitive edge, hence why he has got games at senior level

I feel like you will be eating humble pie within a couple of years when he puts on a bit of size. As this kid looks the goods and has smarts from what ive seen

Im getting Jimmy Bartel vibes with his marking and versatility.

18 year old undersized. Not the first to be in their first year and considered skinny.

Competitive Edge isn't a worry , we saw his attack earlier in the pre season with his marking ability. You don't take those type of marks if you are timid and lack competitive edge, hence why he has got games at senior level

I feel like you will be eating humble pie within a couple of years when he puts on a bit of size. As this kid looks the goods and has smarts from what ive seen

Im getting Jimmy Bartel vibes with his marking and versatility.
Absolutely, we shouldn't even be questioning the poor kid. He looks elite to me with his skill set, just a matter of confidence and time, he is going to be very hard to stop and match up on once he gets more games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back