One thing you hate about your team

Remove this Banner Ad

Another thing I hated during our golden era, putting the cue in the rack when up by 7 or 8 goals.
We would end up cruising to a 4-5 goal win, but feel it's part of the reason why we are sort of disregarded in terms of the "best ever" conversations, and why we struggled to attract the top line free agents to keep up up top

Just overall a boring club. Not complaining about it and am very thankful to have won so many games from 2007- compared to everyone else.

Garbage
In my time following the club, the Cats have played some of the best football seen. Attacking, fast, free flowing. Malcolm Blight coached my favourite era. Didn't get the flags, but all-out attack and shootouts were great to watch.

Geelong in terms of personality isn't a Carlton, Richmond or Collingwood, but why is that a bad thing?

Imagine being a St Kilda fan - deluded into believing that Ross Lyon is a great coach. Slow, boring, low scoring football. People talk about grass growing, but at least grass growing has a favourable result at the end. Ross LYon delivers nothing, then gets called a, 'master coach.'

Geelong's rivalry with Hawthorn for over a decade was filled with passion, and some quality matches. Geelong and Collingwood have been neck and neck for 15 years. These are quality teams and clubs.

Not all clubs have these opportunities to build these organic rivalries, instead of BS manufactured ones.

If being boring nets premierships, then I'm happy to be boring. :)

Allowing teams to kick an insane amount of goals in a short amount of time.

Been happening the last 3 years and it hasn't been addressed. Can never feel comfortable, even with a 40 point lead (see Fremantle final last year as a perfect example).

Longmire is a good coach and pretty good tactician, until we reach the Grand Final when he decides to let his 5 year old nephew take the reigns.

2012 was just an almighty choke job by us.

Garbage
In my time following the club, the Cats have played some of the best football seen. Attacking, fast, free flowing. Malcolm Blight coached my favourite era. Didn't get the flags, but all-out attack and shootouts were great to watch.

Geelong in terms of personality isn't a Carlton, Richmond or Collingwood, but why is that a bad thing?

Imagine being a St Kilda fan - deluded into believing that Ross Lyon is a great coach. Slow, boring, low scoring football. People talk about grass growing, but at least grass growing has a favourable result at the end. Ross LYon delivers nothing, then gets called a, 'master coach.'

Geelong's rivalry with Hawthorn for over a decade was filled with passion, and some quality matches. Geelong and Collingwood have been neck and neck for 15 years. These are quality teams and clubs.

Not all clubs have these opportunities to build these organic rivalries, instead of BS manufactured ones.

If being boring nets premierships, then I'm happy to be boring. :)

Goes back a lot further than that. It always amuses me how their rivalry is if anything underplayed - even though they've met each other in finals more than any other two teams. More than any combination of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc. Just from 2007-2011 - 3 prelim finals and one grand final. Two consecutive prelims in 1980-81. Grand finals in the 1920s, 1930s, 1950s etc., those teams have had a high quality rivalry stretching back forever.

Goes back a lot further than that. It always amuses me how their rivalry is if anything underplayed - even though they've met each other in finals more than any other two teams. More than any combination of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc. Just from 2007-2011 - 3 prelim finals and one grand final. Two consecutive prelims in 1980-81. Grand finals in the 1920s, 1930s, 1950s etc., those teams have had a high quality rivalry stretching back forever.
Yeah. I think half of Geelong's flags are against Collingwood, and our last four premierships have had us playing Collingwood in the finals
The 80 and 81 prelims are too easily forgotten but close matches, and the 1937 is considered a great grand final of its era

I think it is undersold, but Geelong isn't one of the 'big 4', but Geelong has a more organic rivalry with Collingwood than Essendon - whose rivalry really grew with the creation of the formal Anzac Day game.

Yeah. I think half of Geelong's flags are against Collingwood, and our last four premierships have had us playing Collingwood in the finals
The 80 and 81 prelims are too easily forgotten but close matches, and the 1937 is considered a great grand final of its era

I think it is undersold, but Geelong isn't one of the 'big 4', but Geelong has a more organic rivalry with Collingwood than Essendon - whose rivalry really grew with the creation of the formal Anzac Day game.

I agree Geelong aren't, but the entire 'big 4' concept to me is a bit of arrogance from supporters of those clubs. I've said it a few times, to me it stems from the first era of colour TV - the late 1970s/early 1980s. All the commentators/media figures were kids then, and most if not all support those teams. So they perpetuate this 'big 4' idea - even though in terms of premierships it never was because it didn't include Melbourne.

It's also particularly enjoyable now that both Carlton AND Essendon are in the longest premiership droughts in their history.

It's also particularly enjoyable now that both Carlton AND Essendon are in the longest premiership droughts in their history.

Satisfying. Carlton were celebrating a semi final win like a premiership, and Essendon haven't won a final for nearly 20 years...

After such dominating seasons in 1995 and 2000 respectively, things have really turned quickly...
e4968e5e-e339-41cc-be78-0500a775e1a8_text.gif

You won the flag, and you're concerned with that?
Bags of 8+ are very uncommon nowadays. In the 80s and early-mid 90s fans were spoiled. Beasley, Modra, Kernahan, BT, Daicos, S. Rocca, Salmon, Osborne, , Ablett, Dunstall and Brereton, Jakovich, Matthews, Blight, Roach, Longmire and Carey, Richardson, Lockett, Capper and Glendinning...

Nowadays, who is a "star" forward that actually kicks bags on a semi-regular basis?
The thread title is one thing you hate about your team, and I responded. It doesn't mean I'm concerned or have any issues, just replying to a thread.

BTW I love seeing bags of goals by a player and it happens fairly often. Just never at Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That we always toe the AFL line about umpires, afraid to cop a fine. We get molested by the umpires year after year and the free kick differential proves it, yet the club says nothing, we don't even seek clarification or a please explain.

That we always toe the AFL line about umpires, afraid to cop a fine. We get molested by the umpires year after year and the free kick differential proves it, yet the club says nothing, we don't even seek clarification or a please explain.
Maybe Richmond should have fewer thugs on their list? Might help with the free kick differential.

We trade away players who want to leave way too easily.

I get it's not always smart to keep a player who wants to leave, but it sets a terrible precedent when you just let players walk out the door. Look at Sydney with Tom Papley, They fought for him and put a price on his head that Carlton wouldn't match, then were able to convince him to stay. It's because they have a strong culture, and they've had it for years.

We trade away players who want to leave way too easily.

I get it's not always smart to keep a player who wants to leave, but it sets a terrible precedent when you just let players walk out the door. Look at Sydney with Tom Papley, They fought for him and put a price on his head that Carlton wouldn't match, then were able to convince him to stay. It's because they have a strong culture, and they've had it for years.

Sometimes if you fight to keep someone they realise how much they are valued.

Happens outside of football as well.

You let people go easily they think 'well I've made the right choice, they didn't even try to keep me.

The thread title is one thing you hate about your team, and I responded. It doesn't mean I'm concerned or have any issues, just replying to a thread.

BTW I love seeing bags of goals by a player and it happens fairly often. Just never at Collingwood.
Fair enough - but hardly anybody kicks bags anymore

I miss the 90s

After the last two seasons, almost everything.

1. Player unrest
2. Inconsistent performing
3. Blown chances to make another GF
4. Wasted talent in 22 & 23
5. Club failure to address deficiencies re list

We lost a QF by 7 points and a semi by 2. Steven May gets labelled arrogant for saying our best is the best in the AFL. He isn’t wrong but we didn’t show it. Failure to make one GF or a PF is pretty unforgivable post 2021.

After the last two seasons, almost everything.

1. Player unrest
2. Inconsistent performing
3. Blown chances to make another GF
4. Wasted talent in 22 & 23
5. Club failure to address deficiencies re list

We lost a QF by 7 points and a semi by 2. Steven May gets labelled arrogant for saying our best is the best in the AFL. He isn’t wrong but we didn’t show it. Failure to make one GF or a PF is pretty unforgivable post 2021.

That's all irrelevant if it isn't put out on the park
I agree to an extent with May - Melbourne should have advanced, but results are results.

Melbourne has the talent, but their internal issues raise questions on the team moving forward
I had them as premiership favourite pre-season this year, and Carlton as my premiership smokey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back