Strategy Our Draft Board 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Curious to know what makes a "flanker" in your book. McGrath's a flanker, would u overlook him?

There's no such thing as flankers anymore. The correct description now is medium backs or medium forwards. Basically anyone less than 200cm who is not a midfielder. The way they rotate and defend as a team they are nearly all midfielders now anyway. The only distinction is who participates at the stoppages.

Only just starting to look at this seriously. Mostly agree with the top end but why is Logue so high?

Only just starting to look at this seriously. Mostly agree with the top end but why is Logue so high?

His stats don't read too well but he's very good 1v1 as well as intercept marking, he's a great size and has a relatively mature body plus he had a great combine. Biggest negatives I've read is how much is his scope for improvement, but that generally seems to be the go-to negative for mature bodies in their draft year.

Edit: I may be biased, I picked him at pick 11 for the Swans in our Phantom Draft Thread.

I'm sure he's quality but I think I'd be pretty dissapointed if we picked both Marshall/Logue at 14/17 and missed out on getting 1 of guys like Pepper/Venables/Berry/Florent etc if they were still available. Same if we went Marshall/Bolton. So I'd have Logue down past Pepper at least.

I don't mind Logue going that high as long as the club has a need for him.
We are not that club imo
With Carlile, Stewart and O'Shea gone, and Trengove told he's playing fwd/ruck, are we still not?

Not that early. I think the mids are the most pressing issue.
We have Boak Wines and Gray.
Then Ebert Hartlett Wingard who haven't made the step to top level mids.
Then there is a cast of thousands who have shown glimpses but have only produced enough to be considered fringe afl footballers .

Mmm.

I don't disagree, but I reckon the club see it differently. They're obviously not dissatisfied by having a defence-heavy list & first 22 in general (2015 love of slingshot is proof enough of that).

Tall and third-tall defenders out definitely means at least one defender in

Oshea out does increase the chances of us taking Logue if available, still wouldn't be my preference though. Marshall/Battle, 2 quality mids and Hayward/3rd mid is what I'd like to see personally. Not necessarily in that order just depends on how the cards fall.

The way I see it, our picks 14 and 17 will become 15 and 17 given GWS have to use 15 on Setterfield.

With 2 picks so close, And only 10 talls left on our list, I bet one of those will be used on a tall.

If two of Marshall, Battle and Logue are available at 15, we go Mid and then Tall. If only one of that group is there at 15, we take him and a mid at 17.

Brisbanes second pick is jammed in between our first two. Anyone got a grip on their needs?

As long as we get Powell Pepper im not fussed who we take with the other 3 picks.

If we're looking at defenders i actually like Rotham.

Id love to take Shai Bolton as an outside mid/hff. With Matty White in the twilight of his career i think the pick would be justified.

The way I see it, our picks 14 and 17 will become 15 and 17 given GWS have to use 15 on Setterfield.

With 2 picks so close, And only 10 talls left on our list, I bet one of those will be used on a tall.

If two of Marshall, Battle and Logue are available at 15, we go Mid and then Tall. If only one of that group is there at 15, we take him and a mid at 17.

Brisbanes second pick is jammed in between our first two. Anyone got a grip on their needs?

Brisbane quite literally need everything other than a key forward.

It's an interesting thought, if Marshal is available at our first pick he will probably also be there at our second so grab the best available midfielder first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small Forward listening to Chris Fagan on an ABC interview. He did emphasis the need to bring a small defensive forward on to the list.
Jy Simpkin?

Worth checking out the Port Board phantom draft for questions like Brisbane's pick at 16. Some very considered decisions being made.

If we don't get a DFA, who do people like at pick 85?

Judah Dundon or Patrick Lipinski. If we are going tall then either Lewis Young or Nick Larkey

Even if we don't pick up a DFA, we don't necessarily have to use 85. We could potentially go into next year with 38 on the main list and six rookies.

That said, I hope we've at least spoken to Richards.

The more i think about it, the more i'm convinced that one of 14/17 has to be a tall in Berry/Battle (possibly Marshall but im still skeptical). There are quality mid options going to be available around 30 in Drew, Atley, Clarke, Graham, Scharenberg, Villis that we can go for later on

Mmm.

I don't disagree, but I reckon the club see it differently. They're obviously not dissatisfied by having a defence-heavy list & first 22 in general (2015 love of slingshot is proof enough of that).

Tall and third-tall defenders out definitely means at least one defender in

Or maybe the club sees team defense as a unit as being more important and would much rather roll with a group of guys like Clurey, Pittard, Broadbent, Bonner, Austin, Jonas and Hombsch - with Trengove, Westhoff and Ryder rotating as the second tall - than your bog standard isolated defender, which is where being tall comes into the frame.

I'd rather have two 191cm guys with closing speed that can run off on a 196cm key forward than one 196cm guy. We've delisted Stewart and O'Shea out of the defense that was doing pretty well at the end of the year, but we are getting back Hombsch and Jonas.

Clurey (193cm), Bonner (191cm), Austin (194cm), Trengove (197cm), Jonas (188cm), Hombsch (193cm), Broadbent (189cm), Krakouer (188cm) and Pittard (186cm) are plenty tall enough IMO. Then you can throw Westhoff (200cm) and Ryder (197cm) back there as well.

Our list balance was out of kilter by exactly two defenders. They should be replaced by two way mids that can push forward and back and can swap with the forward line, while we get someone like Battle to replace Schulz as that lead up forward.

Goal kicking mids who will force defenders to peel off of Dixon and apply pressure, giving Charlie more space to operate. That's what we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back