Our tackling

Remove this Banner Ad

It's kind of interesting that our noticeably thinner/skinnier players were able to take down their HGH influenced bodies.

That's one of the reasons I would back in maintaining our current fitness team. McKeown has done brilliant groundwork, now just continue on with the program.

Drews tackling was once his weakness.
He was always reaching at arms length but now gets far closer and puts far more body into it.
He is our biggest improver by a mile

A Johnny Donahue tune up wouldnt hurt.

I was wondering whether they actually had. We were really good at wrapping our arms around the torso and when they had their arms free to dish off, we grabbed an arm and pinned it. They were trapped and the umpires had a good look to see they had prior opportunity. It was brilliant. If the umpiring hadn't been corrupt we would have had a heap of frees.

I was saying to others around me all night that our pressure had Geelong completely rattled. They couldn't cope with it. Now I want us to maintain that pressure for the whole finals.
When you see Dangerfield drop a simple mark in the backline, leading to a Fantasia (?) goal, it's symptomatic of the opposition's mindset. If we bring that heat on Saturday week, good luck stopping us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting statistic on Fox Footy last night - of the last 31 times where Port has won the contested ball, we've won 30 of those games. So it may be a bit simplistic to say this, but if we win contested ball in our next 2 games, we might be celebrating a premiership.

Interesting statistic on Fox Footy last night - of the last 31 times where Port has won the contested ball, we've won 30 of those games. So it may be a bit simplistic to say this, but if we win contested ball in our next 2 games, we might be celebrating a premiership.
What was the 1 loss?

If we come up against the Bulldogs, the kind of tackling we saw on Friday night will serve us well. Most of the time, the tackles were low enough to stick without being shrugged up. Weightman will still throw his head back, but it will hopefully be like round 22 when his antics were clear even to the umps.

The real question is by how much? We have won 14+1+17+1 = 33 games in last 2 seasons so that means 3 wins without winning contested ball.

If contested ball = contested possessions then we lost it 123 v 127 against Geelong in last years QF and then in PF won contested possessions against Richmond 141 v 135.

If we come up against the Bulldogs, the kind of tackling we saw on Friday night will serve us well. Most of the time, the tackles were low enough to stick without being shrugged up. Weightman will still throw his head back, but it will hopefully be like round 22 when his antics were clear even to the umps.

I'm hoping that the amount of attention it has received will put the thought in the back of the umpires minds and they are more reluctant to pay them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back