News Phil Walsh RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Gosh that was such a sad horrible day and time in the history of our Club.

I woke up late, phone was off and I didnt go online. I went to town that arvo and thought it was strange to see a lot of Crows fans with scarves on. I remember making a comment to a random stranger in the lift about it. Then he told me.....

Walsh had placed this Club on a certain trajectory towards greatness. I never felt that way about any other coach that came along in the past or following either.

I still cannot fathom how the Showdown Medal is not named after him. I know it will, I have faith that it will. Just not while Koch and Thomas are at Port.

I agree 100% he had changed the path we were on and he appeared to have all aspects that a great coach needs - his passing had more of an effect on AFC than any camp.

I remember being at work and finding out on tv - and having a sick feeling in my stomach all week. It's just not something you ever would fathom.

The way the footy world came together during that time was quite incredible.

I don't think I was ever more proud of my club than during that period. What that crows team achieved that season given the circumstances was nothing short of heroic. That Bulldogs EF will always be remembered as one of the best games I've ever watched. I remember having tears after the final siren - as many of the players did.

It's hard not to think of what could have been if PW was still at the helm - it was short but sweet. And whilst the world moves on, we'll always remember him for what he brought to our club.

Not sure about that. Your list management and drafting had more effect then anything.

There's probably a lot you're not sure of, champ. Phil's focus would have largely been on developing the list and making sure the kids that deserve it get a go. Pykey was far less a coach who wanted to go down that path cos he saw a premiership window and took it. 2018/19 is where he should have focussed on blooding the young kids after seeing what we were dishing up in early 2018. He didn't.

So yes, his passing had way more of an affect on the club than any camp. Not at all surprising you can't fathom that.

Gives me chills reading the first few pages

Rest in peace Walshy.

I looked over the posts I made here back in 2015 on the day which was sobering. Cant believe how naturally and understandably sad and broken we were all on here at the time.

I agree 100% he had changed the path we were on and he appeared to have all aspects that a great coach needs - his passing had more of an effect on AFC than any camp.
I have a friend who is absolutely convinced we would have won a premiership under Walsh in that era, that we would never have capitulated in a grand final, that he was the only coach for us. I reckon she has a point.

Our club has sunk into a pretty crap place from a football perspective. We can be sure that had Phil lived, at least some of this decline would have been prevented. But more importantly than football, a person died and nothing can replace a person's life. I just wish Phil had the opportunity to continue his vision for the club. Team first. Elite habits. Man conversations, not stupid camps.

Not sure about that. Your list management and drafting had more effect then anything.
Our selection policy has had a big impact on the uneducated perception of our list.

Our trading and drafting over the last 7 or 8 years has been more successful than most teams given we have made a GF and a been frequent finals team.

Rookie picks like Laird (AA), Cameron, Greenwood, ROB, Kelly, McGovern in the 40s, Betts (FA)...cant say our drafting has been poor when you look at the picks.

Butters, Duurs v Jones, McHenry...let's look in 12m when our boys have played 20 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think an underrated thing the club has forgotten about him was just how much experience he had, even if he was a first-time senior coach. Just absolutely no doubt that he knew exactly what he wanted and knew exactly how everything should be in the club and that brought with it a total confidence and buy-in from everyone that what he said was the way to go.

The sort of experience that has largely been missing from Adelaide since he passed as we go for rookie and cheaper local options. Not to say they'll do a bad job, but the value Phil brought with his decades of experience in different football clubs is not something you can ever overlook.

I think an underrated thing the club has forgotten about him was just how much experience he had, even if he was a first-time senior coach. Just absolutely no doubt that he knew exactly what he wanted and knew exactly how everything should be in the club and that brought with it a total confidence and buy-in from everyone that what he said was the way to go.

The sort of experience that has largely been missing from Adelaide since he passed as we go for rookie and cheaper local options. Not to say they'll do a bad job, but the value Phil brought with his decades of experience in different football clubs is not something you can ever overlook.
Just look at the assistant coaches he brought in compared to now

Cy Walsh – who killed Crows coach father Phil – granted unsupervised day leave from mental health facility
Cy Walsh – who killed his father, Crows coach Phil Walsh six years ago while affected by mental illness – will be able to return to the community unsupervised.
Cy Walsh – who killed his AFL coach father while affected by undiagnosed mental illness six years ago – has been given permission to return to the community unsupervised.
In another positive step for his ongoing rehabilitation, the Supreme Court on Tuesday granted Mr Walsh – who fatally stabbed Adelaide Crows coach Phil Walsh – unsupervised day leave from a mental health facility.

He will still be required to reside at the low-security site but may now make day trips for shopping, leisure or medical purposes without accompaniment by forensic mental health staff.

Cy Walsh – who killed Crows coach father Phil – granted unsupervised day leave from mental health facility
Cy Walsh – who killed his father, Crows coach Phil Walsh six years ago while affected by mental illness – will be able to return to the community unsupervised.
Cy Walsh – who killed his AFL coach father while affected by undiagnosed mental illness six years ago – has been given permission to return to the community unsupervised.
In another positive step for his ongoing rehabilitation, the Supreme Court on Tuesday granted Mr Walsh – who fatally stabbed Adelaide Crows coach Phil Walsh – unsupervised day leave from a mental health facility.

He will still be required to reside at the low-security site but may now make day trips for shopping, leisure or medical purposes without accompaniment by forensic mental health staff.

Should still be in jail and should be jail bound for life.

I will never deviate from this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back