News Phil Walsh RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice touch of the club to name the Best team Man award after Walshy. As apt as it comes

Apart from the award named after the doc, everything else is named after Victorians lol. Malcolm blight did captain Victoria after all.

Apart from the award named after the doc, everything else is named after Victorians lol. Malcolm blight did captain Victoria after all.

Never knew that Port Pirie was in Victoria or that Chelsea Phillis, the little girl who passed away, was from Victoria. :rolleyes: Actual facts not your strong point are they?

All this time later, it is still gradually dawning on me that the Crows coach was murdered three months ago. The whole affair still gives me a strange mix of emotions, none of them good. It is so weird and so baffling.

Hope you're in a better place Walsh-man. You deserved a lot better. No one deserves that. :cry:

I think I have mentioned this before, if so sorry for repeating myself but my wife and I were about to board a plane for our dream trip of a lifetime to Canada/Alaska when we heard the tragic news. 15 minutes of frantic phone calls and Posting on BF stuck with us until our arrival in Vancouver.

Just looking back to that terrible day it's hard to gauge my own personal feelings.......like so many others I felt helpless and totally lost as what to think or how to cope. After all the Crows and sport in General are not paramount in my life as far as priorities go....well maybe a little...but my sense of loss was out of proportion to the actual impact on my personal life. After all I have never met Phil Walsh nor was I a great fan of his.
His tenure at the club was only short but never the less his death and it's circumstances left a huge hole.

This will take a long time to get right in my head. I have some anger issues that I'm not proud of relating to his son. Meredith whom I also have never met has become a very important person in my life. I feel compelled by her tragic story. The vision of Phil's daughter presenting the trophy after our victory against Port. This memory will stay with me forever.

This is just my personal view point and I'm only one of the many that have been effected by the tragedy that will unfold come the trial and its effects on the people involved. I truely hope we as a community will have the guts to be as forgiving as Meredith would have us. I will try for her sake but my own deep stirring emotions will make this difficult.

3 months have passed and every interview I watch, every tribute, every match when you were with us still tears me up like a little girl. It still sinks into me deep whenever I remember that day and even though you're gone, we're still a team. My one wish would be to turn back the hands of time.

But I take solace because everytime I look up into the heavens, I know you're there, guiding us home. Giving us the strength we need to proceed, the strength we need to believe. This season from hell is over so I don't care what happens now, we just want you back.

Miss you, Walshy :hearts:

It's a little sad that people keep turning the memory of his loss into some kind of race to moral victory :thumbsdown: It's good to see the Crows and the AFLCA honour him in their own way.

Just remember you said that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the best article Rucci has ever written:

"Key defender and club champion Daniel Talia had the news broken to him as he opened his front door at home to find captain Taylor Walker in tears and urging him to share his ride to the club."

"That evening, after counsellors and club chaplain Mark Purser were managing the critical need for welfare of players, staff and the Walsh family, Chapman gathered the Adelaide playing group at his home. He still has a lasting image of the 100 pizza boxes they piled up at the end of the night — and the vision of a group of young footballers supporting each other in grief."

"As Chapman puts it: “We lived Phil’s line — ‘Get the job done’.” That image is best captured by the Crows players as they returned to their West Lakes training base on the Monday morning after the Phil Walsh tribute match in the Showdown against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on July 19. They gathered in Walsh’s office, which had remained untouched since his death, and left the Showdown Trophy on his desk with the line: “This is for you Phil.”

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/a...553894405?sv=9d589e31ab16ca692b3f20ec5a3791e4

Have you got another link to that, subscribers only.

Put the below into a Google search and you'll circumvent the paywall

How the Adelaide Crows turned their darkest period — the death of coach Phil Walsh — into their finest hour

5 years?

Where has that time gone??

Gosh that was such a sad horrible day and time in the history of our Club.

I woke up late, phone was off and I didnt go online. I went to town that arvo and thought it was strange to see a lot of Crows fans with scarves on. I remember making a comment to a random stranger in the lift about it. Then he told me.....

Walsh had placed this Club on a certain trajectory towards greatness. I never felt that way about any other coach that came along in the past or following either.

I still cannot fathom how the Showdown Medal is not named after him. I know it will, I have faith that it will. Just not while Koch and Thomas are at Port.

Still hard to comprehend to this day.

Was very proud of our club in the next 2 years after that, but reality is this is where it started to go wrong.

RIP PW

The way the AFC held itself together during that time and yes for the next two years was ironically the brightest moments that the off field aspect of our Club can hold its head so highly.

Beating the Dogs in that Elimination Final, was one of the greatest finals achievements by the AFC given what had happened.

Im confident Phil Walsh smiled from the heavens at the final siren.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back