Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

I only started a new job a month ago, at about the same time as I started seeing someone, so I knew nowhere near as much about this draft class as I would've over the last 7 or 8 years. I really only know the players that I watched with my own eyes with their college teams.

So I say this with little knowledge of individual players - but positionally I found the move a little perplexing. I know that you can never have too many pass rushers - especially top end ones - but our O-line was pretty junk last season, especially during the Johnson suspension which really sent our season off the rails. (I guess we'll never know if it was down to Johnson, or just teams getting better scouting reports on Wentz - I'm sure the Eagles staff have a view on it though.)

Whether there was someone worthy of the pick we had, or whether it would've meant trying to trade down, I would've preferred to see us using the top end of the draft to build up the protection for the QB that we gave up a s**t ton for a year ago.
This year's OL class is absolute junk, perhaps worst ever. Better off spending high picks on where there's a glut of top class players.

This year's OL class is absolute junk, perhaps worst ever. Better off spending high picks on where there's a glut of top class players.

Broncos missed that meme! :eek: :D

Agree. I also think, unlike o-line where the starters play every snap ideally and players can waste seasons on the bench, you can't have too much talent on d-line. They will play. As long as you get a player, at best you upgrade your starter at worst you get to have a deeper rotation, and better rest your stars, stopping them from being worn down.

Additionally, Graham and Curry arent old, and don't have that much wear on them but they're getting on a bit. We need some depth there. A starter in 2-3 years time, a solid contributor until then. If he comes along faster, we can jettison Curry's large contract.

Agree. I also think, unlike o-line where the starters play every snap ideally and players can waste seasons on the bench, you can't have too much talent on d-line. They will play. As long as you get a player, at best you upgrade your starter at worst you get to have a deeper rotation, and better rest your stars, stopping them from being worn down.

Additionally, Graham and Curry arent old, and don't have that much wear on them but they're getting on a bit. We need some depth there. A starter in 2-3 years time, a solid contributor until then. If he comes along faster, we can jettison Curry's large contract.
Like the league has become running back by committee, it's also become pass rush by committee.

The other thing I think needs some credit: I think we read the draft over the last two years correctly in two substantial ways:

1. We were right last year in our assessment of the quarterbacks. We guessed that there would be high demand in the market in the following seasons. This years draft saw absurd ransoms paid for players who IMO are far inferior to Wentz. We got in early, beat the market, and got a trade out for Bradford at the same time.

2. We appear to have read the receiver draft correctly, hence our investment in free agency. By getting Smith and Jeffrey we took away our biggest need and we're left short when Davis, Williams and Ross were all gone.

We have two major area of need in CB and RB. Those are both areas which have talent left in the draft, and where it run deeps.

The other thing I think needs some credit: I think we read the draft over the last two years correctly in two substantial ways:

1. We were right last year in our assessment of the quarterbacks. We guessed that there would be high demand in the market in the following seasons. This years draft saw absurd ransoms paid for players who IMO are far inferior to Wentz. We got in early, beat the market, and got a trade out for Bradford at the same time.

2. We appear to have read the receiver draft correctly, hence our investment in free agency. By getting Smith and Jeffrey we took away our biggest need and we're left short when Davis, Williams and Ross were all gone.

We have two major area of need in CB and RB. Those are both areas which have talent left in the draft, and where it run deeps.
Absolutely spot on in every regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles didn't lose a game last season to a team under .500

Seriously think they will challenge for the division this year. Them and New York

My predicted NFCE standings are

1. Giants 10-6
2. Eagles 9-7
3. Cowboys 7-9
4. Redskins 6-10

With what running game and also the worst OL in the division??

Don't tell me that is off drafting a TE who is a terrible blocker over Njoko who is superior in that sense and has the same receiving skills.

TE's who cannot block rarely last long at this level.

With what running game and also the worst OL in the division??

Don't tell me that is off drafting a TE who is a terrible blocker over Njoko who is superior in that sense and has the same receiving skills.

TE's who cannot block rarely last long at this level.
Got nothing to do with the draft

I think the Giants and Redskins could sweep the Cowboys. I'm worried about their secondary. Eagles finally have receivers now as well.

Giants have probably the second best maybe best offense and the best defense in the division now.

Eagles as I said consistently beat the bad teams and they have quite a few of them this year. They should improve both sides of the ball.

Happy with the Jones pick?

I get that people might think he'd be available later. Firstly, I'm not so sure, secondly I think that overlooks the effect of the Jernigan trade on our third round position. If we wanted him, we had to take him there.

Last time we took a CB in the draft they didn't last two seasons.

But I do like both of the guys we picked. Douglas has the length to compete with Dez, Marshall, etc. And Sidney Jones was a Top 20 pick before his injury.

Douglas with a third. I don't know much about him, but seems a good prospect for our system.

Team's alot better now than it was at the end of last season.
I disagree, given that we lost Logan and Barwin, who were 2 quality NFL starters. I guess we picked up a starting RT also.
Hopefully Wentz take another step forward to fulfilling his potential

Barwin was sub par most of the season.

Logan is a loss for our run D, but Jernigan will help pass rush

I disagree, given that we lost Logan and Barwin, who were 2 quality NFL starters. I guess we picked up a starting RT also.
Hopefully Wentz take another step forward to fulfilling his potential

I'm not sure on the two things you identified. I think Jernigan is an upgrade on Logan, particularly in our scheme. A much more dangerous pass rusher. Barwin was not a quality starter in our scheme. He had a very poor year last year. Barnett is a much better prospect going forward at that position.

I'm happy enough with the draft, sans our failure to pick up someone who can carry the load at RB.

Edit: in any event, I was looking at the whole picture. Whilst I consider those things upgrades, the whole package also includes:

Alshon, Torry Smith, Hollins, Gibson as additions to the WR make it immediately better than last year as starters, and add some big play potential. The offence has to be much much better than the below professional standard WRs we were starting next year. Roster bubble at that position will be intriguing. DGB in trouble I think, but at the same time he's one of the few there offering something different with his size.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back