Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick question for Eagles fans. Given the way your team was formerly constructed, did you believe it was good enough to win a Super Bowl?

I don't mind Chip Kelly blowing it up and moving on some guys earlier rather than later. It may not pay off in the short term and it may not pay off at all but credit to him for at least trying.

It's a good question - on one hand we've won 10 games the previous 2 seasons. But on the other hand I was only saying a month or so ago that we were just mediocre across the park. In terms of stars who would be worth good draft picks, Lesean McCoy and Fletcher Cox were about the only 2 I could think of.

So I don't mind him going balls out to make a Superbowl team - I just don't think he's doing that. I don't know that you get better throwing away your RB and your two best WRs over the space of 12 months. And I don't know that you get better taking risks on a LOT of injury prone players. I know he has faith in his sports science - but we've lost our starting QB in both of Kelly's seasons, and McCoy was beat up for nearly all of last season. It's a hell of a lot of risks that need to pay off.

The other factor is Philly fans. "We" are notoriously fickle, so he's heaped a massive amount of pressure on himself if this doesn't come off. People will be calling for his head by mid-season if injuries hit and we get off to a crap start.

It's a good question - on one hand we've won 10 games the previous 2 seasons. But on the other hand I was only saying a month or so ago that we were just mediocre across the park. In terms of stars who would be worth good draft picks, Lesean McCoy and Fletcher Cox were about the only 2 I could think of.

So I don't mind him going balls out to make a Superbowl team - I just don't think he's doing that. I don't know that you get better throwing away your RB and your two best WRs over the space of 12 months. And I don't know that you get better taking risks on a LOT of injury prone players. I know he has faith in his sports science - but we've lost our starting QB in both of Kelly's seasons, and McCoy was beat up for nearly all of last season. It's a hell of a lot of risks that need to pay off.

The other factor is Philly fans. "We" are notoriously fickle, so he's heaped a massive amount of pressure on himself if this doesn't come off. People will be calling for his head by mid-season if injuries hit and we get off to a crap start.
One thing is certain, if it turns sour in Philly, it won't be too difficult for Chip to find a Head Coaching job with a strong program in College. Perhaps that's another factor that should be considered. We've seen it before from formerly successful NCAA coaches, the cut and run attitude.

The Shady trade makes much more sense now but I still can't fathom getting rid of the WR's. I don't know how we replace the quality there for next season (albeit I'm not nearly as tuned in as a lot of you all are).

Apparently the upcoming draft runs very deep so I assume they have expectations there along with natural improvement from Matthews (who looks the real deal) & Huff (who knows but they appear to rate him), while Cooper has to improve or he's gone next year. So maybe WR wont be that big a deal next season.

Apparently the upcoming draft runs very deep so I assume they have expectations there along with natural improvement from Matthews (who looks the real deal) & Huff (who knows but they appear to rate him), while Cooper has to improve or he's gone next year. So maybe WR wont be that big a deal next season.

I imagine we'll be using Sproles a bit more in the slot too, and with the focus on RBs and Chips insistence on a north-south runner, I would also think we'll be using a few more 2 TE sets.

Gone missing in the signing frenzy: what the hell are we going to do at safety?

Top end of the market now gone. Starting a rookie? Ed Reynolds coming off the PS to start?

We've been looking at Ron Parker

I would've liked Gilchrist, but missed him.

No idea if not. Collins maybe in the first?

Chip gets a bum wrap imo, he is 20-12 in his first 2 seasons in the NFL. We won 10 games last season in spite of the fact that we played a 1st place schedule, nick foles was mediocre before suffering a season ending injury, Kelce and Mathis missed significant time due to injuries and Casey Matthews played extensively due to MLB injuries.

He did not inherit a talented squad, yet he has gotten results in spite of the turnover at QB.

I think we will find out if billy davis is a good dc this year. He has more talent, hopefully that will translate onto the field.

Anyone who wants chip to be fired if the team struggles, deserves to be banished to be a fan of the redskins or raiders. Those poor pricks dream of 6-10 let alone 10-6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing is certain, if it turns sour in Philly, it won't be too difficult for Chip to find a Head Coaching job with a strong program in College. Perhaps that's another factor that should be considered. We've seen it before from formerly successful NCAA coaches, the cut and run attitude.

As one who has been a fan of the Eagles since the 1985 season, I hope we're not seeing the "cut and run" from Chip. I really don't.

All of Bradford's 2012 throws over 15 yards - cant deny that's some arm he's got

I'm not sure why I sat through that but I did.

TBH, I think my view on him diminished by watching that. His accuracy is terrible. I can't think of a pass in that video where I thought "that's a nice throw". Not one did I think he was on the money & in sync with the receiver. Also, how many PI calls did his receivers get in that compilation? Half I'd argue weren't even catchable. I'd like to see the stats too on how often he lines up in the shotgun vs how many times he throws deep from the shotgun.

Frankly if I was a Philly fan I'd be worried.

I'm not sure why I sat through that but I did.

TBH, I think my view on him diminished by watching that. His accuracy is terrible. I can't think of a pass in that video where I thought "that's a nice throw". Not one did I think he was on the money & in sync with the receiver. Also, how many PI calls did his receivers get in that compilation? Half I'd argue weren't even catchable. I'd like to see the stats too on how often he lines up in the shotgun vs how many times he throws deep from the shotgun.

Frankly if I was a Philly fan I'd be worried.

Not here to defend the bloke, just my ob's - how many WR drops were there? how many WR missed routes & stumbles were there? how many throws under heavy pressure were there? Remember that package was every throw over 15 yards in his rookie season - want to lineup a few of the current 'greats' & compare?

So imho that's a very harsh assessment of a rookie season player in what appeared to be a weak offensive lineup.

"I can't think of a pass in that video where I thought "that's a nice throw" - you need to open the other eye & watch it again if that's honestly the case, as there were more than a few 'very nice throws'.

Not here to defend the bloke, just my ob's - how many WR drops were there? how many WR missed routes & stumbles were there? how many throws under heavy pressure were there? Remember that package was every throw over 15 yards in his rookie season - want to lineup a few of the current 'greats' & compare?

So imho that's a very harsh assessment of a rookie season player in what appeared to be a weak offensive lineup.

"I can't think of a pass in that video where I thought "that's a nice throw" - you need to open the other eye & watch it again if that's honestly the case, as there were more than a few 'very nice throws'.
Fair points but I thought the video was posted to highlight his strengths? I reckon that video does quite the opposite.

I reckon too if the video was from last year then there wouldn't be much difference. I've seen no improvement from him over time.

Fair points but I thought the video was posted to highlight his strengths? I reckon that video does quite the opposite.

I reckon too if the video was from last year then there wouldn't be much difference. I've seen no improvement from him over time.

Nah it was warts & all, one thing that did impress me was the power behind some of those throws, he can fire them in there.

Former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow worked out for the Philadelphia Eagles on Monday, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter

picard-facepalm.jpg

Bradford has played 8/23 games vs the 9ers, cardinals and the seahawks defense. Welcome to the nfc east where u play the skins, cowboys and giants defense 6/16 times a season. What a luckbox. Unfortunately for Foles......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back