Opinion Pick 1... is Cam Rayner

So who do we take at Pick 1?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have absolutely no expectations that Rayner will be able to play even moderate midfield minutes as he matures in his career.

And I still have the same concerns I voiced midway through the season about Rayner.

What was the point of yesterdays run if not fully fit and in reasonable condition for any of the participants.
Absolutely, have been on the anti-Rayner wagon but that run shows to me that the Dusty and Petracca comparisons are so wide of the mark it’s not funny. Both were going through the midfield in large minutes in their draftee years.
I think there's genuine uncertainty, simply because there's not a whole lot of reason to mess around when you've got pick 1 and your next pick is 15. Either you're taking player X or you're not, because he's not going to be there the next time we pick.
I wouldn’t go so far to say that there is genuine uncertainty but more that there is pros and cons on a couple of players at 1 for which they’re going to hash out and then move onto pick 15/18 with a short list.

Absolutely, have been on the anti-Rayner wagon but that run shows to me that the Dusty and Petracca comparisons are so wide of the mark it’s not funny. Both were going through the midfield in large minutes in their draftee years.
Dusty and Petracca were also running things like 14 beep tests. They still had concerns about their fitness then. It took Dusty a long time to get to the full mid level as well.

TAke Brayshaw and we are getting a Travis Boak for a number 1 pick. Take Stephehsen n we get a dual brownlow medalist Keith Greg......end of story..

Talking about dual Brownlow medalists...Brayshaw reminds me of a young Robert Harvey......

wbFOOTYharvey_narrowweb__200x270.jpg

Dusty and Petracca were also running things like 14 beep tests. They still had concerns about their fitness then. It took Dusty a long time to get to the full mid level as well.
People forget Dusty shopped himself around 3 years ago and no takers. Has only been the last two years he has been a genuine a grader with a real tank.

And his running ability is far superior to Rayner.

People forget Dusty shopped himself around 3 years ago and no takers. Has only been the last two years he has been a genuine a grader with a real tank.

And his running ability is far superior to Rayner.

It should be. Martin is at the peak of his powers .

Rayner is an 18 year old kid with a lot of work to do.

Stephen Conole just on SEN-

1) 4 names in the mix for pick 1 with 2 slightly in front.
2) Cameron Rayner looked sluggish in the 2k trial, hes had injuries and hasn't had a good training block, I'm sure when he gets into the AFL system his endurance will improve, how much is the question. We'll sit down and have a chat with Cam before draft night.
3) We have rated Andrew Brayshaw right up near the top from the start of the season, he is not a late riser in our view.
4) We'll be looking to build depth and variety through the midfield with picks 15 and 18 with 2 academy boys coming in later to fill out a couple of key position spots.

Conole was very upbeat and verging on excited when discussing Brayshaw, I got a strong vibe that we will be taking Brayshaw.

2) Cameron Rayner looked sluggish in the 2k trial, hes had injuries and hasn't had a good training block, I'm sure when he gets into the AFL system his endurance will improve, how much is the question. We'll sit down and have a chat with Cam before draft night.
3) We have rated Andrew Brayshaw right up near the top from the start of the season, he is not a late riser in our view.
4) We'll be looking to build depth and variety through the midfield with picks 15 and 18 with 2 academy boys coming in later to fill out a couple of key position spots.

Conole was very upbeat and verging on excited when discussing Brayshaw, I got a strong vibe that we will be taking Brayshaw.
Hopefully playing word games to throw the Draft into turmoil when Stephenson's name gets read out. Make it a double thanks Sam....no ice.

From a purely selfish reason what do you reckon Rayner would have run if it was a 3km time trial? As a 38yr old I ran a 13mins 39sec. He wouldn’t have been able to maintain 1km@4mins over 3km could he. I reckon he would’ve ran 12min 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a purely selfish reason what do you reckon Rayner would have run if it was a 3km time trial? As a 38yr old I ran a 13mins 39sec. He wouldn’t have been able to maintain 1km@4mins over 3km could he. I reckon he would’ve ran 12min 30.
35 years ago I used to do a lot of running, mainly to keep fit for squash and soccer and could run 10k in 48-50 minutes. Rayner would have hit the wall and been closer to 13 minutes than 12min 30 for 3km IMO.

It should be. Martin is at the peak of his powers .

Rayner is an 18 year old kid with a lot of work to do.
Comparatively at the same age Dusty was a lot better and there were questions on him.

35 years ago I used to do a lot of running, mainly to keep fit for squash and soccer and could run 10k in 48-50 minutes. Rayner would have hit the wall and been closer to 13 minutes than 12min 30 for 3km IMO.
If he can only do 8 mins for two k I think he would be well over 13 for three. Back in the day I could do a 2:30 k, but then again I could also get into size 30 jeans and George Michael was still straight.

Rayner will obviously improve his fitness but can't see him going from an 11 beep to a 15 beep which is probably the requirements to play full time midfield minutes. Of course add in repeat efforts and running back when we don't have the ball... makes it so much more unlikely he will never be more than a bit part player in the midfield. He might get there eventually but that would be 8+ years away.

If you look at where the games is headed, unless you’re more of a traditional FF, camped in the forward 50, you have to be able to run, and pressure.

Do you think Rayner could run with Hipwood? Or even Barret?

Interesting.
Hope it's not LDU

Read the article on AFL.com which mentioned all four lads ran together for much of the time trial with no one really forcing the pace? If thats the case why did they bother arranging it or even attending? Maybe it was just to show they were over their recent niggles? The whole affair seems very strange indeed.

If you look at where the games is headed, unless you’re more of a traditional FF, camped in the forward 50, you have to be able to run, and pressure.

Do you think Rayner could run with Hipwood? Or even Barret?
I actually think a forward like Rayner is exactly the way football is heading. You can’t play 3 talls. But you still want a tall forward who can go into the ruck. So the best set up is to have a permanent tall forward, a forward-ruck and then a third player who can be a genuine marking target but retains the mobility and ground level ability of a medium sized player.

There’s a reason why Martin, Dangerfield, Gray etc are spending a lot more time forward. That’s because they are the type of hybrid player that the modern game favours. The Dogs played Stringer effectively as a tall forward and developed a premiership winning forward structure.

Put it this way, if we had a genuine need for a gun forward target, I’d take Rayner in a heartbeat. He is the way the game is heading in the forward half as he’s a threat in so many ways.

I listened to that interview as well and Canole was clear that Brayshaw has been around the top of our calculations since the beginning of the year.

We need a full time mid as a priority and at the top of considerations for me is that mid must be an excellent decision maker foremost.

I look back at the last quarter against Essendon and to a lesser degree against Melbourne. What stood out was the decision making and pressure when we didn't have the ball. Won us the game as it resulted in goals and gave us belief.

I am no expert when it comes to the draftees but I read a lot of views across BF and other talent experts.

Not sure Rayner is what we need especially if his aerobic ability is questionable.

I actually think a forward like Rayner is exactly the way football is heading. You can’t play 3 talls. But you still want a tall forward who can go into the ruck. So the best set up is to have a permanent tall forward, a forward-ruck and then a third player who can be a genuine marking target but retains the mobility and ground level ability of a medium sized player.

There’s a reason why Martin, Dangerfield, Gray etc are spending a lot more time forward. That’s because they are the type of hybrid player that the modern game favours. The Dogs played Stringer effectively as a tall forward and developed a premiership winning forward structure.

Put it this way, if we had a genuine need for a gun forward target, I’d take Rayner in a heartbeat. He is the way the game is heading in the forward half as he’s a threat in so many ways.

I do too agree, but only issue is if not marked, will he provide the necessary pressure acts to keep ball in area?
Will just have to wait and see.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back