Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have been 2. Thomas probably did tocuh the ball, but it still left the boot after the touch. Like

I also noticed this though none of the Victorian-centric commentators mentioned it. The ball was well past Thomas's hand before it left the boot. It was like knocking the ball out of a player's hands after he has completed the mark.

Sad when Pittard went as he was one of the few players that tried to do the unpredictable things that win close games.
Sadness gone as he has that Pittard audacity plus the skills to get away with it. He can also play anywhere on the field, forward, back or midfield.

Could be a real gem in a couple of years.

How's the head on him? Won't be long til he pisses off oppo supporters.
Based off the AFL facebook pages post of our win, people are rattled by Butters already.

What's the bet Luke Hodge tries to snipe him next week. I hope the team is on the lookout for it.
I wish we had a Greg Phillips type who would/ could say - you touch him and I will kill you - like Greg did to Scott Salisbury before the 1990 GF about a skinny 17 year old Wanganeen.

Last edited:
Sad when Pittard went as he was one of the few players that tried to do the unpredictable things that win close games.
Sadness gone as he has that Pittard audacity plus the skills to get away with it. He can also play anywhere on the field, forward, back or midfield.

Could be a real gem in a couple of years.
Butters is a big improvement on Pittard and it is clearly seen after only two games!

What's the bet Luke Hodge tries to snipe him next week. I hope the team is on the lookout for it.

He might not even be playing next week if he cops a game off for sniping Taryn Thomas (on debut, of course) against Norf today.

He might not even be playing next week if he cops a game off for sniping Taryn Thomas (on debut, of course) against Norf today.

They wouldn’t do that to such a good bloke, surely.

I also noticed this though none of the Victorian-centric commentators mentioned it. The ball was well past Thomas's hand before it left the boot. It was like knocking the ball out of a player's hands after he has completed the mark.
It's a long standing AFL tradition for umpires just to go with the Carlton player's call that he touched the ball. It's known as the Kade Simpson Rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish we had a Greg Phillips type who would/ could say - you touch him and I will kill you - like Greg did to Scott Salisbury before the 1990 GF about a skinny 17 year old Wanganeen.

I always thought it was David Hynes.

Jonas / Dixon about as good as we've got but a lot harder these days. Unless you're good blokey bloke that can get away with unders at the tribunal.

I can't see the article but certainly he is at least on par with Robbie regarding his ability to read the play. He has that god given ability to predict ahead of time what is going to happen along with the skill and reflexes to impact on that play to the team's best advantage. He is a ferocious competitor. He is pacier than Robbie.

Time will tell physically how his body holds up and how he develops.

Of course it is very early days, but already he has done things that make the jaw drop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back