Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like it was a pretty dominant game by Todd, even with the misses. If that was 3 goals instead of 3 behinds, that's an easy best on ground for me.
Not just making excuses, but that breeze, particularly in the first half, was a bit tricky, mostly blowing south to north but kept swirling around towards the east as well.

Takes a bit of goal kicking genius to hit the top of a goal post.

It's like a hole in one and you only get a point for it.

His entries inside 50 are absolutely perfect.

In the third quarter when he hit Rozee lace out, he waited until Rozee was in perfect position before hitting him with laser-like precision.
It was a thing of beauty.

There was another kick in the 3rd onto a leading Dixon but the Big Dix was a bit injured and couldn't quite completely commit to the lead and kinda slowed down.

It would have been another fantastic kick but yeah, he might be the best creative tall forward in the comp when he has a bit of time with the boot.

The gut running of Powell-Pepper would have helped as well.

I feel like it was a pretty dominant game by Todd, even with the misses. If that was 3 goals instead of 3 behinds, that's an easy best on ground for me.

I've been defending him from the usual geniuses on facebook today, which baffles me because I fully agree, if he kicks 3 goals he's played basically the perfect lead up CHF game. 10 marks 11 score involvements and 5 inside 50s is fantastic.

I'd usually say I want him closer to goal, but if he's going to do all that, he can play the lead up role and the other KPFs can shuffle the other 2 positions.

We were saying at the ground, I don't think i've ever seen that before.

I think I've seen it happen once before, maybe by Tim Evans. It's very rare.

A similar effort was by a HFF named Phil Robertson who played a few games for Port in the 1980s. His first ever shot for goal in the league side hit the inside of one goal post and ricocheted to hit the inside of the other goal post. The commentators thought that should be worth more than one point too. :D

When Marshall is on, we are irresistible.

His half forward creation is elite, his kicking is elite, his one on one marking is not bad, his leading is excellent and his goal kicking is very good to excellent.

We are a bit different when we are kicking to Marshall over Dixon because Dixon can miss easy goals and it lets the tyres down.

Is at the pointy end of a lot of the forward stats right now too.

25th goals
2nd shots at goal
5th goal assists (1st kf)
7th score goal involvements (1st kf)
16th contested 1 on 1s
6th contested offensive wins
3rd marks (1st kf)
1st marks on lead
1st marks inside 50
31st contested marks (14th kf)
2nd for disposals amongst kfs

Patented tribey goals + goal assists (why penalise a kf who is able to pass it off to a forward in better position?)

3rd amongst kfs.

Last edited:
100 games for Todd Marshall. Congratulations Toddy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Todd Marshall for getting to 100 games.

Considering he usually play the 2nd tall forward to Dixon, his output has been of a high standard.

This year, when we have gone through him and not Dixon, we have looked very menacing and he has been electric.

Because he is at Port, probably one of the most underrated tall forwards in the competition.

Keep it going Toddddeeaaayyyyy!!!!

Only 2 games in but he’s arguably the best performed kf after hogan so far this year. Leads or near the top for a tonne of the metrics for a kf.

The rest of the afl fans are still “Todd who”.

It took rozee and butters ages to get the recognition they deserved.

Only 2 games in but he’s arguably the best performed kf after hogan so far this year. Leads or near the top for a tonne of the metrics for a kf.

The rest of the afl fans are still “Todd who”.

It took rozee and butters ages to get the recognition they deserved.
It wouldn't matter if he was dominating like Wayne Carey nothing exists outside of Malbun, they still think Walsh is better than Rozee & Butters.

Big 100th for the Todd. Managed to make Finlayson look a contributor.

Oh look here’s Waspy to lay the boots in.

What a surprise.

Btw Todd, who wasn’t a standout game we would have wanted was not remotely poor.

1 goal and 3 goal assists (most goal assists for anyone on either team)

He was directly responsible for almost 1/3rd of our goals on a night the umpires reamed us and we gave our forwards nothing with our s**t gameplan that saw our forward line flooded.

As a note, Todd is 5th in the league for goal assists and equal 1st amongst kfs (with superstar max king)

Most of the leagues kfs aren’t even remotely close to those two.

Edit : lol the afl hasn’t updated the stats from tonight where he had 3 goal assists.

So he should be 4th in the afl for goal assists and the leading kf for that stat.

All this in forward line gameplan that makes scoring goals like pulling teeth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back