Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I might get kicked in the head for saying this, but I saw some shockers from Darcy on Sat night! I think we need to take off our rose-colored glasses and re-watch that game. He got the stats, but I wasnt impressed at all. He was as bad as the rest of the players in being reactive, and waiting for the ball to come to them rather than going in and getting it. There was one moment that stood out, I think early in the last qtr, where he arrived first to a loose ball with two other Port players behind him, and two Geelong players approaching front on. he got there first, but he waited for a Geelong player to go in and take first possession, then he tackled him. Too late, a little flick handball, a quick link play, and the ball was marked in their forward line and a shot for goal!

I was frigging furious!! I almost smashed my coffee-table!

I might get kicked in the head for saying this, but I saw some shockers from Darcy on Sat night! I think we need to take off our rose-colored glasses and re-watch that game. He got the stats, but I wasnt impressed at all. He was as bad as the rest of the players in being reactive, and waiting for the ball to come to them rather than going in and getting it. There was one moment that stood out, I think early in the last qtr, where he arrived first to a loose ball with two other Port players behind him, and two Geelong players approaching front on. he got there first, but he waited for a Geelong player to go in and take first possession, then he tackled him. Too late, a little flick handball, a quick link play, and the ball was marked in their forward line and a shot for goal!

I was frigging furious!! I almost smashed my coffee-table!

I'm watching our backline and our legion of established well paid midfielders flood back there to play a game of hot potato amongst stationary players until it ends with a turnover.

Whenever pittard and bones get the ball more often then not they break through the congestion with a couple of steps then pass the ball to someone with more space to assess their next move. I would already have bones in our top 6-8 performed players for the year. Which is amazing for a young kid.

As long as he keeps breaking lines like that I'll value every 1 of his possessions to a dozen of most of the other lot. They usually do more harm the good. If I could have my way we would clone him so he can take broadbents spot as well.

Absolutely, but go for the damned ball! Applies to ALL the players. Also someone suggesting he was NAB rising star this week! :rolleyes: Good Lord! They obviously didnt see Papley play!

Dont get me wrong, I like him, he has given his all, and stood tall. But on Sat, he just barely got a tick from me ... no more. That been said, when this team eventually fires, we are going to see some ripper games from him, I am sure, with a NAB Rising Star selection a given..

Absolutely, but go for the damned ball! Applies to ALL the players. Also someone suggesting he was NAB rising star this week! :rolleyes: Good Lord! They obviously didnt see Papley play!

Dont get me wrong, I like him, he has given his all, and stood tall. But on Sat, he just barely got a tick from me ... no more. That been said, when this team eventually fires, we are going to see some ripper games from him, I am sure, with a NAB Rising Star selection a given..
Did you watch Papley play? He made his fair share of errors as well. I think it came down Sydney won, Port didn't.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect DBJ to play a error free game or he can **** right off

This made me picture a monty Python-esqe skit where a blindfolded cadet in army barracks perfectly assembles a dismantled rifle in 30 seconds while every one else stands around trying to mash cartridges down muzzles and square pegs into round holes and grunting and pointing and scratching their heads. This is what our team looks like at the moment.

Hey guys, Darcy lives in my street just two doors down.
He's a brilliant cricketer and has an absolutely lovely family. I was at Scotch 4 years before him, and he was always very slim in build but because of it he has the tenacity of a dog. See ball, get ball.

I know he was responsible for Jack billings at Scotch training and often made him look silly. That's pick 3 torched on a regular basis. I was desperately hoping he'd get through to 57 with us but alas no luck. Give him a couple of years, but once the body develops more you'll have a Steven Morris shut down defender who can actually attack offensively.

Screw you guys haha.

So far, so good.

Thread title doesn't do his impact in the side justice, the kids a freak & a supreme talent considering how little AFL footy he's played.

He's everything we wanted from an Impey, Surj small defender type basically a mini harder at it Pittard clone which is a fair compliment given how good Jasper's playing at the moment.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back