Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

He's lowering his eyes and hitting his short passes inside 50 which our team needs more of. It's been good.

Post from 2021, I’ll claim it...

“DBJ had a very average 2021. We are stocked for small defenders and think we should try him as a pressure forward. Between a slowing Gray and attacking Fantasia and Rozee, we lack forward pressure on rebounding defenders. He can lock them down and provide another attack option”.

3952762D-D51B-4F4A-A965-6E12F5F6D1DC.gif

I reckon DBJ has played more defensive footy the last 2 weeks in our forward line, than he did for half of 2022 season in our back line.

Post from 2021, I’ll claim it...

“DBJ had a very average 2021. We are stocked for small defenders and think we should try him as a pressure forward. Between a slowing Gray and attacking Fantasia and Rozee, we lack forward pressure on rebounding defenders. He can lock them down and provide another attack option”.

View attachment 1668527
I would have laughed at this so hard in 2021 but you were spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who actually doesn't mind him as a forward? Maybe I've just been de-sensitised by years of Neade and McEntee, but I feel like DBJ's output is perfectly acceptable for a defensive forward type. Has gone at a bit over a goal per game and around three tackles a game since we moved him to that role, which certainly isn't superstar level but it isn't spud level either.

Am I the only one who actually doesn't mind him as a forward? Maybe I've just been de-sensitised by years of Neade and McEntee, but I feel like DBJ's output is perfectly acceptable for a defensive forward type. Has gone at a bit over a goal per game and around three tackles a game since we moved him to that role, which certainly isn't superstar level but it isn't spud level either.
100%. He's fine as a forward. Issue is you can have one defensive forward type, but having 2, one of whom poses zero offensive threat just makes your forward line too predictable.

100%. He's fine as a forward. Issue is you can have one defensive forward type, but having 2, one of whom poses zero offensive threat just makes your forward line too predictable.
Yup. And in a couple of weeks' time we get SPP back who is legitimately one of the best pressure forwards in the comp, which at any normal club would make a certain other player entirely obsolete.

Not at all.

DBJ as the defensive type, SPP as the hybrid and Rioli as the goal kicking small is the best available mix to us, relative to our squad.

He's ok as a forward, seems to get into goal scoring positions, and is a relatively solid kick for goal.

Enjoyed his tackle on the Richmond player, I think in the last quarter where he virtually bumped him to the ground with his chest, arms by his side, then fell on him and applied the tackle to stop the play.

I thought he played a great game on the weekend against Richmond and really played well when it mattered most in the last quarter.

Although not a natural forward, he is a good kick and some of his passing was top rate.

He seemed to lift his pressure game as well and is a pretty good decision maker and quite creative.

I was impressed this weekend with his game.

I actually trust him when going for goals.

SPP and DBJ should be the only defensive/goal kicking forwards we need in there. Rioli for goals/class and then potentially another small or resting mid. We don't need all of SPP, DBJ and McEntee in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back