Player Watch Pick #56 (2021) - Dante Visentini

Remove this Banner Ad

Ned Reeves & Lloyd Meek aren't exactly the strongest opponents either so should get another chance next week.

Tristan Xerri the week afterwards might be a bit much for him though

Must play again next week. Great game.
Re-sign him.

None of this pants wetting because we have 3 AFL standard ruckmen, so we have to trade one of them type s**t thinking.

Rucks are always getting bashed up and injured. They are like weapons. Always have a stockpile of them.

He surprised me at times appearing to have a bit more toe over the first few steps that I can recall, made a bit of a statement that he wants to play with the big boys.

Is Dante contracted for next year?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been begging for a ruckman who can take marks across the ground.
Maybe what we truly need is a ruckman like Dante who can apply intense tackling chases like he did last night.

Last night was Visentini's break out game, he is arguably a more natural footballer than either of Soldo or Sweet, and his efforts against geebung have probably relegated Sweet to 3rd cab off the rank now, but as REH suggested above 3 AFL standard ruckmen isn't too many.

When the camera was directly behind him as the players were going down the race last night I thought he looked much broader across the back and the shoulders than he did this time last year, which is also a good sign given the bash and crash stuff a ruckman often has to endure.

Dante apparently also has a bit of a footy pedigree, I didn't pick up the bloke's name but someone in the after match stuff on fox said his maternal grand father had been a decent player at Richmond.

Why’d we chase so hard for soldo and sweet

this guy is a beast already.
Coach aside, we Port supporters should be quite exited by the youth and talent on our list. This young man is a ripper. Remembering that last year he played some good minutes at AFL level as well. I think we have found one here.

Dante apparently also has a bit of a footy pedigree, I didn't pick up the bloke's name but someone in the after match stuff on fox said his maternal grand father had been a decent player at Richmond.

His name was Ian Hayden and he died a week and a bit ago in his 80's.

I've liked him from the first time I saw him play and match mature age ruckmen in the sanfl. He has ruck craft and aggression in spades. He will start to believe that he belongs and continue to develop.

He's still only 21, so short bursts of games at this stage are perfect for his development.

Don't forget over the past few weeks people were screaming in the match day threads about how he can't take a mark and was getting outrucked by state league players (which he wasn't).

His name was Ian Hayden and he died a week and a bit ago in his 80's.
Saw that in the Recent Deaths threads a week or two ago.

Maybe Dante had a bit of extra inspiration last night to play so well.

I've liked him from the first time I saw him play and match mature age ruckmen in the sanfl. He has ruck craft and aggression in spades. He will start to believe that he belongs and continue to develop.

He's still only 21, so short bursts of games at this stage are perfect for his development.

Don't forget over the past few weeks people were screaming in the match day threads about how he can't take a mark and was getting outrucked by state league players (which he wasn't).
Watching that game with you at Alberon, I reckon you said he reminded you of Sticks Kernahan - because of looks mainly - after a quarter or so of footy.

Watching that game with you at Alberon, I reckon you said he reminded you of Sticks Kernahan - because of looks mainly - after a quarter or so of footy.

You're right of course, the big gangly limbs and long black mullet. Looked like Kernahan :D.

He could take a big grab at sanfl level, just needs that belief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back