Universal Love Pick the Butch

Should John Butcher play against Hawthorn?

• Yes, pick John Butcher

Votes: 79 71.2%
  • No, there's no way Butcher can be left out

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why was Wingard crashing packs and Butcher crumbing? Was a bit odd.
It seemed Impey and Chad were positioned a kick away from the active wing when Butch was a kick further away. Didn't seem to make sense as it meant a kick into the forward line couldn't be competed for by a tall to bring the smaller players into the game.

As much as it wasn't a tall players game, I felt Butch's positioning was odd and away from the play. Not sure if that's the forward setup out Butch himself.

It seemed Impey and Chad were positioned a kick away from the active wing when Butch was a kick further away. Didn't seem to make sense as it meant a kick into the forward line couldn't be competed for by a tall to bring the smaller players into the game.

As much as it wasn't a tall players game, I felt Butch's positioning was odd and away from the play. Not sure if that's the forward setup out Butch himself.
Chad Cornes to forward coach?

Damon White played 55 games. Ample opportunity to prove his worth.
Daniel Stewart played 36 games. He was drafted the same year as Butcher and hasn't been on the list for 3 seasons, yet somehow has still has played more games. Once again ample opportunity.
This is what gets me. Butcher finally comes in for one game and because he doesn't set the world on fire against a top 4 team in a monsoon people are calling for him to be delisted. Where's his ample opportunity?
It may very well turn out that he's not up to it, but let's at least give him the chance to prove otherwise.
One last comparison. Jack Watts. Probably the only player in the whole league more maligned than Butcher. Drafted one year beforehand in 2008, but has played 103 more games (132 games total). He's only just starting to show some consistent form as an AFL forward.
We all like a good laugh at Melbourne's expense, but they've got something right that we haven't here by persevering with Watts and are now seeing some results

Another one. James Sicily. By his own admission his first game this season in round 1 was horrendous but Clarkson persevered and he delivered. 4 goals against West Coast and 3 against the Bulldogs. But Butch doesn't just need opportunity, he needs to put in like Sicily. He has 30 tackles in 18 games this season. It is difficult to compare Butch as his games have been so spread apart but except for 6 against Essendon in 2011 and 5 against Geelong in 2012 he has never been much of a tackler.

You just have to love the excuses. Butcher never presented, even at kickins when you would think here's an opportunity for him to get a touch and get some confidence. He didn't split packs, didn't chase, didn't tackle. On a wet day, these are prerequisites for a tall. The fact that a 32 year old coming back from back surgery Schulz was worse isn't an endorsement for John staying in the side.

It's like he was told to stay forward and that's exactly what he did. Needs to learn to read the situation better.

Until Dixon is better he deserves to play - but maybe you'll understand why we didn't play him earlier with that defensive effort.

Another one. James Sicily. By his own admission his first game this season in round 1 was horrendous but Clarkson persevered and he delivered. 4 goals against West Coast and 3 against the Bulldogs. But Butch doesn't just need opportunity, he needs to put in like Sicily. He has 30 tackles in 18 games this season. It is difficult to compare Butch as his games have been so spread apart but except for 6 against Essendon in 2011 and 5 against Geelong in 2012 he has never been much of a tackler.
30 tackles in 18 games is inder 2 per game yet you're saying Butcher needs to get around 5 or 6 a game?

30 tackles in 18 games is inder 2 per game yet you're saying Butcher needs to get around 5 or 6 a game?
Read it again, where did I say he was meant to get 5 or 6 a game? I was giving 2 occasions where he had a few tackles but most of his other games have been 0 or 1 tackles. The main point I'm making here is that although John's never got much of a run in the last 4 years his tackling stats have been pretty terrible. In the last 4 years he's averaging just over 1 a game, and 4 of those came in one game.

220px-Elvis'_Gold_Records,_Vol._2_original_LP_cover.jpg
bon-jovi-100000000-bon-jovi-fans-cant-be-wrong-5251816-1433984604.jpg

Someone photoshop "111 Butcher fans can't be wrong" plz

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back