Pick the Test squad/side for the tour to South Africa in February

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Bryce Mcgain be picked to go to SA?

So would I. He the best bowler we have, at least out of Test cricket, and unbelievably has never played. A line up of Noffke, Hilfenhaus, Johnson and McGain makes me feel so much better.

Provides variety with pace, swing, seam, bounce and half decent leg spin.

He also adds some additional batting strength too.

So would I. He the best bowler we have, at least out of Test cricket, and unbelievably has never played. A line up of Noffke, Hilfenhaus, Johnson and McGain makes me feel so much better.

Provides variety with pace, swing, seam, bounce and half decent leg spin.

Your theorizing again. This variety bullshit is over-rated. We have a left armer, thats about as much variety as you want with the paceman.

You pick bolwers who bowl good lines and take wickets. People said that Stuart Clark couldnt play in the same team as Glenn McGrath because they were too similar. ****, id love to have 4 Glenn McGraths in my team as the 4 bowlers, who cares if they are similar. That argument is poor.

At this point in time with injuries and what not i consider Siddle, Johnson and Bollinger to be given first crack at SA in the return series along with Bryce McGain as a spinner. I wouldnt rule out Ashley Noffke being given a call up either and maybe playing 5 bowlers and utlizing the ability of Noffke and Johnson with the bat.

However i'd have it a guess that at this point that the selectors main headache is deciding whether to take McDonald or Symonds for that number 6 role. McDonald is probably the better bowler and his 3/73 match figures from the SCG were the type of cameo performance with the ball we had lacked at Perth and the MCG.

It is a tough one. A dark horse would have to be Ashley Noffke, especially now that Stuart Clark has been ruled out.

I'm with you here LtD. Noffke would have to be a chance, but the only thing that would be holding him back is lack of preparation and i doubt the selectors would be prepared to bring more than 2 under prepared players on tour (Mcgain, Noffke, Jaques, Symonds to name a few).

Personally i rate Hilfenhaus massively and would think he might skip ahead of Bollinger, only because Bollinger was only preferred at the SCG. I may very well turn out to be wrong on this point however.

I don't think bringing Mcgain would be a massive success but i could definately see the selectors going down that route.

Yeah it's a hard one for the selectors, they come a lot of flak this summer but IMO they handled Siddle well when there were calls for him to be dropped after the Perth Test. McDonald was also a relatively left field decision which one must admit payed dividends with 3 wickets @ 24.

McGain is the best spinner in the country, he has to play. I think he could do well but i havent really seen him bowl, im just basing that on track record and ability of SA playing leg spin.

Your right about lack of preparation with Noffke though. That will count heavily against him but in saying that, he scored 41 against WA today which was 2nd top score in the Queensland side. If he rolls WA tomorrow then that would do his chances no harm. He shouldnt be discounted.

You have a point about the SCG and Doug Bollinger. The selectors pick the side early next week i believe so the one dayers really wont have much impact on the decision. I think they pick 15 players to go.

Here is my 15 man squad. Bear in mind last year against the WI Ashely Noffke was picked. The formula seems to be 6 Batsmen, 1 Allrounder, 1 Keeper, 5 Seamers, 2 Spinners

BATSMEN (6)

Ricky Ponting (c)
Simon Katich
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke (vc)
Phil Hughes
Phil Jacques

ALLROUNDER

Andrew Mcdonald (this is a hard one IMO, i think they will pick McDonald but i'd prefer Symonds)

KEEPER

Brad Haddin

SEAMERS (5)

Peter Siddle (injury permitting)
Mitchell Johnson
Doug Bollinger
Ben Hilfenhaus
Ashley Noffke

SPINNERS (2)

Bryce Mcgain (Injury Permitting)
Nathan Hauritz (Krezja is still leaking to many runs, went for over 100 yesterday against NSW and took 1 wicket (Hughes)

Yeah it's a hard one for the selectors, they come a lot of flak this summer but IMO they handled Siddle well when there were calls for him to be dropped after the Perth Test. McDonald was also a relatively left field decision which one must admit payed dividends with 3 wickets @ 24.

McGain is the best spinner in the country, he has to play. I think he could do well but i havent really seen him bowl, im just basing that on track record and ability of SA playing leg spin.

Your right about lack of preparation with Noffke though. That will count heavily against him but in saying that, he scored 41 against WA today which was 2nd top score in the Queensland side. If he rolls WA tomorrow then that would do his chances no harm. He shouldnt be discounted.

You have a point about the SCG and Doug Bollinger. The selectors pick the side early next week i believe so the one dayers really wont have much impact on the decision. I think they pick 15 players to go.

Here is my 15 man squad. Bear in mind last year against the WI Ashely Noffke was picked. The formula seems to be 6 Batsmen, 1 Allrounder, 1 Keeper, 5 Seamers, 2 Spinners

BATSMEN (6)

Ricky Ponting (c)
Simon Katich
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke (vc)
Phil Hughes
Phil Jacques

ALLROUNDER

Andrew Mcdonald (this is a hard one IMO, i think they will pick McDonald but i'd prefer Symonds)

KEEPER

Brad Haddin

SEAMERS (5)

Peter Siddle (injury permitting)
Mitchell Johnson
Doug Bollinger
Ben Hilfenhaus
Ashley Noffke

SPINNERS (2)

Bryce Mcgain (Injury Permitting)
Nathan Hauritz (Krezja is still leaking to many runs, went for over 100 yesterday against NSW and took 1 wicket (Hughes)
I've heard they'll announce a 14 man squad next Wednesday.

They'll name that exact squad IMO with Noffke to miss to make it 14.

I'm not sold on McDonald at #6, there's better batsmen in the country they could pick ahead of him, but he deserves to keep his spot for now after his good debut.

I've been a supporter of Roy all summer but now concede he should not be near the test side for now, his lack of professionalism in recent times is disappointing and the radio incident, albeit minor, was the final straw for me...

BATSMEN (7)

Ricky Ponting (c)
Simon Katich
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke (vc)
Phil Hughes
Phil Jaques
Marcus North

ALLROUNDER

Andrew McDonald

WICKET-KEEPER

Brad Haddin

SEAMERS (5)

Peter Siddle
Mitchell Johnson
Ryan Harris
Ben Hilfenhaus
Doug Bollinger

SPINNER

Bryce McGain

15 man squad, I have gone with an extra batsman instead of a second spinner. McGain will be the first choice spinner, and the only way Hauritz would play is if McGain injured himself. And if that happens we can send for a replacement. So North comes into the squad, he gives another option for that number 6 spot.

The other change from LtD's squad is Harris in for Noffke. He is a much better bowler in the longer form of the game than in the one dayers, and should be picked ahead of Bollinger.

Could Noffke (form permitting) possibly take the number 6 spot off Mcdonald if his batting form from 08 continues? (not talking about this tour, but tours preceding)

He could possibly do it, I haven't seen Noffke bat but MacDonald wouldn't be miles ahead of him I take.

Could Noffke (form permitting) possibly take the number 6 spot off Mcdonald if his batting form from 08 continues? (not talking about this tour, but tours preceding)

Well that would be defintely be a left field option which im open to. He would defintely bolster the bowling but it is a very risky option. You'd have to move Haddin to 6 and Noffke would come in at 7 followed by Johnson.

Well that would be defintely be a left field option which im open to. He would defintely bolster the bowling but it is a very risky option. You'd have to move Haddin to 6 and Noffke would come in at 7 followed by Johnson.

I almost think with Australia's batting line up, although not recently in form could afford to do it (this will all depend on the SA tour, because so much could change in between now and then)

Jaques (Hughes??)
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Haddin

For mine that's solid when all are in form.

Noffke and Johnson could hold up the lower end. It might not be as strong in the batting as some would like but I'd bet we'd be more likely to take 20 wickets with an attack with 4 strong paceman and a choice of a spinner.

I'd bet on that batting lineup to make the runs required.

Where exactly does Phil Hughes field ?
Apologies if already mentioned but i couldn't go through 16 pages.
I would definately take him as an opener in S.A but if he fields in the slips then imo that would be a huge bonus cos we have lost so much experience from the slips recently. I read he was a keeper so assume he fields in the slips.
From memory Jacques is an ordinary fielder.
Not too sure how Rogers fields.

Depends if its a 14 or 15 man squad. I would assume 15.

Last bowling spot I reckon is down to Noffke, Harris, Nannes and Bracken.

I'd take Bracken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends if its a 14 or 15 man squad. I would assume 15.

Last bowling spot I reckon is down to Noffke, Harris, Nannes and Bracken.

I'd take Bracken.

If it is out of those 4 they will pick Harris. Not saying I agree or otherwise but that is what they will do.

Noffke - chance has come and gone
Nannes - too old sorry
Bracken - chance has come and gone
Harris - potential for the future and good pace, can also bat.

No, not ever, not a chance in hell.

31 year old who has played 100 FC games for a batting average of 26 and you want to bat him number 6 in the Australian team?
Prefer to him to bat 8 or 9 (either one with Johnson) and increase the batting depth. Batting's not functioning that great so messing it up with an all rounder at 6 isn't appealing. The need for an all-rounder becomes less if we pick the right bowlers that apply consistent hard pressure, which, to me at least, includes Noffke, Hilfenhaus and McGain.

Nice start back for Noffke, who's been brilliant at FC the last 2 years . 41 runs from a score of 247 (inc 96 from Martin Love) and 1/44 from 18 overs. Decent for his first game back.

Your theorizing again. This variety bullshit is over-rated. We have a left armer, thats about as much variety as you want with the paceman.

You pick bolwers who bowl good lines and take wickets. People said that Stuart Clark couldnt play in the same team as Glenn McGrath because they were too similar. ****, id love to have 4 Glenn McGraths in my team as the 4 bowlers, who cares if they are similar. That argument is poor.

The main crux of my argument was the comparison between Siddle and Hilfenhaus, There I'm talking about variety within a bowlers set skills (so important-argument not so poor there) not variety across the whole attack (not so important amongst the quicks). A difference.

I did add the overall variety bit at the bottom, which is nice to have but not necessary as you said. I wouldn't argue with 4 "Glen McGrath's". It's why I argued so hard for Clark the last Ashes series here when people incredulously said he was too similar to McGrath. Like, one had to laugh big time at the time. Imagine not picking a bowler because he's similar to McGrath...lol!

Maybe the post was confusing. sorry.

BATSMEN (7)

Ricky Ponting (c)
Simon Katich
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke (vc)
Phil Hughes
Phil Jaques
Marcus North

ALLROUNDER

Andrew McDonald

WICKET-KEEPER

Brad Haddin

SEAMERS (5)

Peter Siddle
Mitchell Johnson
Ryan Harris
Ben Hilfenhaus
Doug Bollinger

SPINNER

Bryce McGain

15 man squad, I have gone with an extra batsman instead of a second spinner. McGain will be the first choice spinner, and the only way Hauritz would play is if McGain injured himself. And if that happens we can send for a replacement. So North comes into the squad, he gives another option for that number 6 spot.

The other change from LtD's squad is Harris in for Noffke. He is a much better bowler in the longer form of the game than in the one dayers, and should be picked ahead of Bollinger.
Dussey?

BATSMEN (7)

Ricky Ponting (c)
Simon Katich
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke (vc)
Phil Hughes
Phil Jaques
Marcus North

ALLROUNDER

Andrew McDonald

WICKET-KEEPER

Brad Haddin

SEAMERS (5)

Peter Siddle
Mitchell Johnson
Ryan Harris
Ben Hilfenhaus
Doug Bollinger

SPINNER

Bryce McGain

Harris better than Noffke in the longer form of the game???? Think you need to re-check the figures over the last 2 years. Noffke's undoubtedly been better than everyone FC cricket in that time. Think we need his experience (I know he has no Tests behind him. I'm meaning his years of experience overall in the FC arena ) in a young bowling line-up now Clark's out.

My SA selections are killing it so far...lol.

Symonds made 5 and 3 and McGain's 0/43 of 8 overs so far. I'm sure that means I can get a job as a selector!!!!! One must be able to laugh at himself. Admittedly they're on their first FC game back but I'm not looking good! Be tougher first -up for the latter being a leggie I suppose.

In Roy's case it's 3/27, meaning it's a bit of a low-scoring seamer but that ain't any good all on any track. Noffke's the only one doing ok for me.

Harris better than Noffke in the longer form of the game????

I said Ryan Harris is a better bowler in the longer form of the game, compared to Harris in one dayers. There was no comparison to Noffke. So as he was picked in the one day squad, he should therefore be considered strongly for the Test squad as he is better in that form of the game.

I just think Noffke has missed the boat. He finally got his chance in the West Indies but got injured, and unfortunately for him guys like Siddle, Hilfenhaus and Bollinger are all now ahead of him. Australia don't need a guy who is nearly 32 and always seem to be struggling with injury.

As for David Hussey, I have Marcus North just ahead of him. It's as simple as that, Hussey is just unlucky.

Although if the selectors wanted to trying something different for a change, they could do a lot worse than selecting Callum Ferguson. Is in excellent form this season, and it would be nice to see some youth actually getting selected ahead of the Ashes.

My SA selections are killing it so far...lol.

Symonds made 5 and 3 and McGain's 0/43 of 8 overs so far. I'm sure that means I can get a job as a selector!!!!! One must be able to laugh at himself. Admittedly they're on their first FC game back but I'm not looking good! Be tougher first -up for the latter being a leggie I suppose.

In Roy's case it's 3/27, meaning it's a bit of a low-scoring seamer but that ain't any good all on any track. Noffke's the only one doing ok for me.

McGain's first game back. All he has to do is show that his bowling, doesnt matter if he doesnt get wickets. The selectors just want to know that his fit enough. Poor performance by Symonds wont help his chances of a test recall. Probably best to wait until the Pakistan ODI series in a few months.

McDonald has bowled well so you'd think he will go to SA. I feel a bit for Symo, apparently when he walked off the Gabba today he hit his bat against the concrete wall in the players tunnel out of frustation. He didnt bowl either for Queensland so maybe his knee still isnt 100%. I doubt he'll be even considered for selection. In that you'd think McDonald will be given another role at number 6, he probably isnt the best batsmen for that position but his bowling is quite useful.

The selectors are probably going to choose one of Noffke/Harris. I reckon they might lean towards Noffke because he has a lot of experience with touring before (Ashes 2001, WI 2008) and he is a similar bowler to Stuart Clark.

Im pretty confident the squad i mentioned above will be the one that is chosen.

I said Ryan Harris is a better bowler in the longer form of the game, compared to Harris in one dayers. There was no comparison to Noffke. So as he was picked in the one day squad, he should therefore be considered strongly for the Test squad as he is better in that form of the game.

I just think Noffke has missed the boat. He finally got his chance in the West Indies but got injured, and unfortunately for him guys like Siddle, Hilfenhaus and Bollinger are all now ahead of him. Australia don't need a guy who is nearly 32 and always seem to be struggling with injury.

As for David Hussey, I have Marcus North just ahead of him. It's as simple as that, Hussey is just unlucky.

Although if the selectors wanted to trying something different for a change, they could do a lot worse than selecting Callum Ferguson. Is in excellent form this season, and it would be nice to see some youth actually getting selected ahead of the Ashes.

Re: Harris....trust me to mis-read it...lol. I'm with you now and certainly agree.

The reason I go with Noffke though is that in the last 2 years he's had no peer in FC including the guys actually in the side. His general cricket experience is vital in a young bowling side. Especially with Clark out. Our bowling line-up was young and inexperienced and was showed up so much in the home series here. If Noffke gets injured we have another bowler there plus we can fly someone else out too. This series and the Ashes are an important tours so we have to go with the best irrespective if age. Worry more about putting the re-building pieces together after that. Go over to SA and win, or at least draw the series, and we can claim moral no.1 Test status still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back