Analysis Pies win! Cloke you superstar

Remove this Banner Ad

I was really unimpressed with us after quarter time. Just killed around the packs and reverted to slow, dumb football and overusing the handball in tight.

At what point will we understand that you switch the ball if you can do it quickly, not slow chipping around until Frost or Brown have it in the back pocket with no idea what to do and everyone covered. It's like we do it, because it's the 'thing' to do and it hecks us over, where we go slow and stagnant and we turn to s**t.

Top 7, bottom 7, it doesn't matter. They may change come the end of the season and we may have lost to a bottom 7 side, and beaten a top 7 side. If GWS were to lose their way a bit like Gold Coast did last year and finish outside the 8, I'm not sure that a lot of Hawthorn supporters are going to care, provided they finish top 4. Same goes for Fremantle; they're currently top by a game, yet they lost to Richmond, who may or may not finish in the top 7.

What counts are wins in the bank heading into the bye and maximising the benefits of the draw we have been given. It's what makes dropping the game against Richmond worse, and to some extent the Geelong game where we didn't turn up, however no-one is suggesting that we'll make the top 4 this year, let alone do any damage if we were to make it (a bit like West Coast in 2012). What is encouraging however is that with a young side we are winning and learning how to win in different ways.

This shouldn't be underestimated and is something a side like Melbourne, with the numerous draft picks given to them over the years, would kill for. The experience of winning games of footy with a young side which can develop together. For what it's worth I think the Bulldogs are starting to build something similar, but like us they will need to address a number of structural deficiencies such as their ruck, key position backs and another key position forward (assuming Boyd fulfils half his potential).

Our strength lies in having a core of players who are young and adaptable. Winning games will only benefit them and will give the coaching and recruitment staff more time to identify suitable targets to compliment or add to that core.

I was really unimpressed with us after quarter time. Just killed around the packs and reverted to slow, dumb football and overusing the handball in tight.

At what point will we understand that you switch the ball if you can do it quickly, not slow chipping around until Frost or Brown have it in the back pocket with no idea what to do and everyone covered. It's like we do it, because it's the 'thing' to do and it ****s us over, where we go slow and stagnant and we turn to s**t.
Sounded like parts of the game were more like a practice match today.

Top 7, bottom 7, it doesn't matter. They may change come the end of the season and we may have lost to a bottom 7 side, and beaten a top 7 side. If GWS were to lose their way a bit like Gold Coast did last year and finish outside the 8, I'm not sure that a lot of Hawthorn supporters are going to care, provided they finish top 4. Same goes for Fremantle; they're currently top by a game, yet they lost to Richmond, who may or may not finish in the top 7.

What counts are wins in the bank heading into the bye and maximising the benefits of the draw we have been given. It's what makes dropping the game against Richmond worse, and to some extent the Geelong game where we didn't turn up, however no-one is suggesting that we'll make the top 4 this year, let alone do any damage if we were to make it (a bit like West Coast in 2012). What is encouraging however is that with a young side we are winning and learning how to win in different ways.

This shouldn't be underestimated and is something a side like Melbourne, with the numerous draft picks given to them over the years, would kill for. The experience of winning games of footy with a young side which can develop together. For what it's worth I think the Bulldogs are starting to build something similar, but like us they will need to address a number of structural deficiencies such as their ruck, key position backs and another key position forward (assuming Boyd fulfils half his potential).

Our strength lies in having a core of players who are young and adaptable. Winning games will only benefit them and will give the coaching and recruitment staff more time to identify suitable targets to compliment or add to that core.
Agreed. We are 7-3 which is great for any draw. We have beaten Essendon and North who both played in a final last year and 1 in a prelim which is a great result. We also got close to Richmond who also made finals last year.

All - let's keep this thread on track and once again refrain from personal attacks or abuse. Such post will be deleted and follow up infractions/action taken if warranted.

Whilst not a convincing win today it's none the less 4 points that go to further developing our squad both young and old to possibly playing finals footy which is certainly something I didn't think likely this season.

Happy for debate to happen should it be relevant and respectful and if you can't do that maybe think twice before posting.

There is always the ignore function that can be used if you find yourself entrenched in argument with individual posters.

Please use the report function or PM us as needed.

Enjoy the win and take each game as it comes. We've got a hard road ahead post bye.

FYI Vicky Park Gone Critical Magpie Girl

Agreed. We are 7-3 which is great for any draw. We have beaten Essendon and North who both played in a final last year and 1 in a prelim which is a great result. We also got close to Richmond who also made finals last year.
Why did you have to mention the Richmond game? I'm just starting to sleep properly again!

Midfield just couldn't get their game on today. Lost at clearances, Melbourne were killing it at the stoppages - bar the last quarter.

Luckily our forwards and defenders got us through, but that won't stand against the better teams. Our midfield should've dominated today.

Don't know if it's a setup problem at stoppages or they just weren't collectively pulling their weight, but we shouldn't let the win override the fact our midfield was comprehensively beaten by an inferior midfield today. Hopefully it's a one off poor outing.

Can we get back to discussing today's game without going back to the past and who has the best team of young ones?
Gee I would hate to read the thread if we had lost.
We win people are still not happy.
We won, 4 points still in the 8, Cloke played his best game this year, Elliott continues to impress, Oxley a great find, Brown did well, liked Blair's tenaciousness, despite the knock of White did well in the ruck.
So much more to like than dislike.
Plus, no new injuries apparently.

Just came home after the game, had a few bevs after the game. I only want to say a few things, but I want to talk about some things which aren't totally relevant to the game.

Firstly I just want to say De Goeys attack on the footy is first class, but god damn that Brayshaw is a star. I bet Hine would've picked him if he was still available at pick 5. Can't believe the kid!

Secondly. Why'd we boo Lumumba? Wasn't it mostly our end pushing him out of the club and he left in class? Yet the whole crowd boo'd, nothing but respect for the man.

Lastly.... CLOKEY WITH 7 <3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've pretty much just accepted the fact that we're not going to get any credit for our season to date until it's mathematically impossible to not make the 8.

I will just add though, I hope the media gives Frosty some praise this week. The amount they carry on about Jesse Hogan being the great white hope for Melbourne, Frosty absolutely took him to the dry cleaners. I know he's only played like 9 games, but they rate him ridiculously highly.

Last edited:
Just watching a few highlights and came across the part where Watts dropped the mark 10 in front of their goal and we went coast to coast, just want to say that Elliot was absolutely amazing in that play. To go up and contest the mark and then to hit the ground and beat your opponent to the ball over the back who stayed down is absolutely amazing, dont think i have seen that to many times. Made me a little hard actually

Midfield just couldn't get their game on today. Lost at clearances, Melbourne were killing it at the stoppages - bar the last quarter.

Luckily our forwards and defenders got us through, but that won't stand against the better teams. Our midfield should've dominated today.

Don't know if it's a setup problem at stoppages or they just weren't collectively pulling their weight, but we shouldn't let the win override the fact our midfield was comprehensively beaten by an inferior midfield today. Hopefully it's a one off poor outing.

The centre clearances were the biggest disappointment of the game. But we are missing some pretty handy players in there with Adams and Greenwood out. They will improve us. I thought Crisp was a little below the standard he has set, Pendles is injured, Sidebottom well held and missing Adams was collectively bad news for us. That said we still worked our way through that when it wasn't all going our way. I like to see the grit and graft that this team is developing. It's very promising.

It always seems to amaze me how well Nathan Jones plays week in, week out for Melbourne. Is a complete midfielder and gave us a lot of trouble today.

Pendlebury looks a little short of a gallop, and has done for the last 2 or 3 weeks. He'll probably be one of our players who will benefit most from the bye. Looking ahead to next week's game I hope that Adams is fit as we missed him around clearances today, irrespective of his usual disposal efficiency

Best on ground: Nathan Jones.

Best for us: no clear stand-out in my opinion. Other than cloke of course :)

Worst on ground: umpires. Was one of the most inconsistently umpired games I've ever seen. At one point we tackled some guy after he'd had heaps of prior... He was spun around and then he virtually threw the ball. Play on.
Then Varcoe gets tackled without prior in the dee's forward 50... Holding the ball! WHAT?

Another one was Grundy getting pushed (unfairly) in to a Melbourne player and he (Grundy) was penalised for it! Huh?

Worst on ground for us: Frost was BAD until 3 quarter time. Really bad. Cost us 2 goals. Couldn't mark to save his life.
White - Honourable mention... Needed to kick that goal at the end to seal it and didn't.

How'd Hogan go? Correct. Frost gave him a ******* bath.

At what point will we understand that you switch the ball if you can do it quickly, not slow chipping around until Frost or Brown have it in the back pocket with no idea what to do and everyone covered. It's like we do it, because it's the 'thing' to do and it ****s us over, where we go slow and stagnant and we turn to s**t.

Yeah... It's like we didn't have an opposition to contend with our there. Please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back