Autopsy Poll: Did we improve in 2018?

Did we improve in 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Simple question, not so simple answer and one that can be looked at from many different perspectives.

Which was better,
the 2017 Port's that smashed lower based teams and couldn't beat anyone in the top 8 (allegedly) or
the 2018 Port's that smashed no one, but was 11-4 before s**t happened.

Did we get better in 2018 or did we take a step backwards?
Was it offensive that we became less offensive?

68au.gif

When we had got to 11-4 and had won 3 out of 4 games under 2 goals I was looking at us turning the corner. Whether we should have won those games or not did not appear to be the question, at least we had won them. Then the tumble of the last weeks brought up the negatives. We had been lucky to beat a bottom team at home, we had squandered a late lead and had a win in the last minute, we had won because the others missed too many easy goals. Even though we were the worse team in the loss we were ahead in the last minutes and lost it the way we have lost so many close games, not being clean defensively and panicking.
With a final 1-6, 3 games under 2 goals and a final loss where we outscored Essendon after a first quarter drubbing nothing has changed. I've said it before but we're stuck in that rut of trying to not lose games instead of trying to win them.

I don't think we improved, and I don't think we got worse.

The draw was a tough harder, we played different footy, but the end result, neither here nor there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backwards in 18 with a very active trade period in the 2017 draft.Port just don't hit the scoreboard enough when there on top in games.Cost us two matches from memory in Showdown 2 and V West Coast.

List - improved on paper
List - backwards on output
Selections - same don't pick talls to replace talls. Same going to the fleet of undersized gold passes holders. And unlike 2017 didn't even blood anyone new until late in the season to provide a bit of hope for the future until we were already cooked.
Gameplan - backwards
Scoring - worse, kicked less goals
Defense - worse, conceded more goals
Season result - from finals to missing finals
Supporter engagement - backwards, went between insulting our intelligence and borderline just insulting us.

So one 'improvement' that didn't lead to improvement and the rest went backwards. How anyone can spin this season as better than 2017 is beyond me.

Back