What did Sydney do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when Sydney had signed Wallace, yet somehow the members convinced them to pay him out so they could sign Roos.

What did they do?

How did they turn it around?

We need to repeat it x10 to get the attention of our clueless board.
In 2002 season fans lobbied the club real hard, and Roos as interim coach won games of footy that made him irresistible.

Then I wouldn't be surprised if Richard Colless used his personal funds to pay out Wallace, off the books, as the AFL were keeping a tight watch on the Swans.

They were technically an AFL owned club, took over the shares held by private owners in 1993, until the new 2005 constitution gave members some rights and made it a company Limited by Guarantee like nearly all AFL clubs are set up. So until 2005, fans really were season ticket holders not members.

Richard Colless and 4 other individuals came up with a million dollars each to pay the WCE $4mil licence, the VFL at the last minute switched from $4mil over 10 years to $4mil in 30 days, and have a small amount of working capital to start the club operating.

Argo Koch is no Richard Colless!!

Argo Koch should have been forced to payout Argo Hinkley.

Richard Colless is probably the most important football administrator in the expansion era.

Last edited:

In 2003 season fans lobbied the club real hard, and Roos as interim coach won games of footy that made him irresistible.

Then I wouldn't be surprised if Richard Colless used his personal funds to pay out Wallace, off the books, as the AFL were keeping a tight watch on the Swans.

They were technically an AFL owned club, took over the shares held by private owners in 1993, until the new 2005 constitution gave members some rights and made it a company Limited by Guarantee like nearly all AFL clubs are set up. So until 2005, fans really were season ticket holders not members.

Richard Colless and 4 other individuals came up with a million dollars each to pay the WCE $4mil licence, the VFL at the last minute switched from $4mil over 10 years to $4mil in 30 days, and have a small amount of working capital to start the club operating.

Argo Koch is no Richard Colless!!

Argo Koch should have been forced to payout Argo Hinkley.

Richard Colless is probably the most important football administrator in the expansion era.
How did the Swans fans lobby?

Maybe I'll ask on their board.

How did the Swans fans lobby?

Maybe I'll ask on their board.
Signs at the game, hit the sports shows with talkback, wrote to the papers, and the players lobbied for him.

As caretaker senior coach, Roos immediately transformed the dispirited Swans players. Several who had struggled under Eade blossomed under his leadership. Surprisingly, the Swans won most of their remaining games that year (six of their last ten), and the fans soon let it be known who they wanted as coach by reviving the famous "Roooos" call. Despite this, the club administration continued their talks with Wallace (and perhaps others). Finally however, they were unable to ignore the players' own support for Roos, when, after a win late in the season, all the players surrounded Roos on the field and, unprecedentedly, themselves joined in the "Roooos" call. The administrators knew when they were beaten, and appointed Roos as full-time senior coach for the 2003 season (despite reportedly having to pay Wallace a considerable amount to unwind their almost-concluded deal with him).

The swans remind me of how Port used to be. Love the bloods culture and love watching them play football.
Until Hinkley's gone, the Swans are my new favourite team. Go Swannies.

I read Brandon Jack's biography about six months ago and it gave a great insight into the Swans culture. One of the main themes was that it was better to be respected than to be liked. What are we here for? To get better. On the walls they have the behaviours of what it is they are after. Heart, discipline and united were the keywords while Brandon Jack was there. Heart would be 100% effort 100% of the time. United would be I try with my teammates and I do extras and things like that. They are simple things that you don't need to be a great player to do those things. 5AM beach sessions as punishments etc.

I've read Scott Hodges biography and the Port Magpies also used to have a culture that was just as good, if not better.
During the season proper, we would train on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and we always had Sundays. I don’t think any other club had training on Sunday, but Sunday training was really important at Port. It was a firm rule, a sacred thing for us. It was very, very rare that anyone would miss Sunday training. If you did, and didn’t have a valid reason, there were consequences. It wasn’t so much that you would get in trouble with the bosses, more that you were letting your teammates down. Most of us boys were party animals, but the underwritten rule was play up, turn up. To their credit, the club didn’t really mind, as long as you were there to train on Sunday.

I remember seeing Rohan.Smith pulling up in a cab at Alberton at 8:30am on a Sunday morning, clearly still completely plastered from the night before. Up on the training board that day it said we were kicking off our drills with 10x200m sprints. To cap things off, each sprint was followed up by 20 push-ups and 20 sit-ups. And there was poor pissed Rohan standing in the car park with a stubby of VB in his hand, still dressed in his pub clothes from the night before, and saying ‘Oh well, I had better get started, I guess'. He went from the cab to his car that he had parked at the club the day before, got his boots and gear out of his sports bag on the back seat, quickly got dressed in the car park and hit the oval. Stuff like that used to happen all the time. We all knew how to have a good time and we became a really close-knit bunch.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back