Review Round 4, 2023 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Had 18 playing behind the ball and still allowed two wide open uncontested marks in the corridor in the last minute of the game… our players just freeze up when the pressure is on.

All the talk about mills at the end really meant nothing.. aliir would easily have jumped over him to spoil that ball..

I seem to remember another serial offender, blatent push in the back at half forward, Adelaide Oval southern end, enacted by none other than Buddy Franklin. It was maybe a couple of years ago. Against McKenzie? Scored a goal I think.
Protected bird. I bet yesterday's infringement wouldn't have been paid if push came to shove (!!).
Jack Hombsch.

Buddy even turned to look at the umpire expecting to be called, but wasn't, so ran in to goal.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

You've gotta feel a bit for Florent. Believed he'd achieved every footy loving kid's childhood dream and then had it snatched away from him in an instant.

Last edited:
Those going on about Wines interview post match, context was about gather round, the city will be alive with Adelaide winning also, nothing innit
All I took away was how often he mentioned we are a young side.

Felt to me the message was an instruction from the club to get the word out and water down expectations. "We're a young side so need time"

I enjoyed the win. I'll never not enjoy a win for Port. Absolutely gross listening to the interviews and fox after though.

This is not vindication. We were thrashed everywhere but the scoreboard.

Wines and Johnson banging on about how Ken's had pressure the last few years but handled it beautifully. WTF. Perfect response? Huge relief? It's one scrappy game where we fell across the line thanks to a freak gust of wind.

And the tactics are to cover our back 6 by basically having the entire side defend. Yeah that's sustainable. That'll hold up.

He is on target to score the same amount or slightly more goals this year than last? He’s also getting more tackles.
Only because he had a good game against the Lions. This season Todd has booted 8 goals and 4 of those came in the first game. 4 goals in 3 games from a guy who is supposed to be the side's no1 goal kicker is down on form. In any case we should not get too carried away with Todd's 2022, yes it was a pleasing improvement but Todd finished equal 14th on the Coleman Medal table, I not knocking that effort but we should want to see further improvement.

Hopefully Todd turns it around this week.

My 1st thought after the port players were celebrating, I swear I heard a whistle

The game is not over because the siren sounds as a kick can be taken after the siren as it was in this instance. What you probably heard was the field umpire blowing the whistle to signify the end of the game. This happens after the kick is taken and tells the players that is it.

I enjoyed the win. I'll never not enjoy a win for Port. Absolutely gross listening to the interviews and fox after though.

Wines and Johnson banging on about how Ken's had pressure the last few years but handled it beautifully. WTF. Perfect response? Huge relief? It's one scrappy game where we fell across the line thanks to a freak gust of wind.

And the tactics are to cover our back 6 by basically having the entire side defend. Yeah that's sustainable. That'll hold up.

We're in store for a massive let down next week lol

I seem to remember another serial offender, blatent push in the back at half forward, Adelaide Oval southern end, enacted by none other than Buddy Franklin. It was maybe a couple of years ago. Against McKenzie? Scored a goal I think.
Protected bird. I bet yesterday's infringement wouldn't have been paid if push came to shove (!!).
On Hombsch from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'A freak gust of wind', wtf are you on about?

We were not 'thrashed everywhere but the scoreboard' as you put it. Aliir did an almost perfect job on Franklin and Butters, Duursma and Finlayson also held their own. In fact Jeremy Finlayson had 18 possessions and took 8 marks and in the process was the leading goalscorer on the ground.

There is room for criticism, and your point about the after match interviews is taken, but let's keep things in perspective.

'A freak gust of wind', wtf are you on about?

We were not 'thrashed everywhere but the scoreboard' as you put it. Aliir did an almost perfect job on Franklin and Butters, Duursma and Finlayson also held their own. In fact Jeremy Finlayson had 18 possessions and took 8 marks and in the process was the leading goalscorer on the ground.

There is room for criticism, and your point about the after match interviews is taken, but let's keep things in perspective.
I didn't say we didn't have any good players, of course we did. It's a team game though innit? They had, what 30 more inside 50s, won the ruck, had more possessions at better efficiency. We sucked and got through on some uncharacteristic i50 efficiency.

Very scrappy game won on emotion, and as has already been suggested that much emotion can't be re-produced on a weekly basis, and even if it could be skill and a decent game plan will eventually defeat it more often than not.

Some observations

1. the continued calling for video checks by one particular goal umpire was as boring as bat sh*t, and in at least one of them (and arguably 2) he should have been over ruled and a goal accredited to the Power.

2. Franklin is absolutely finished as an AFL player.

3. And possibly the worst - If the crows are as good as some now believe they are, that would mean they have come from below us on the pecking order to above us AGAIN during hinkley's tenure. :sick:

I didn't say we didn't have any good players, of course we did. It's a team game though innit? They had, what 30 more inside 50s, won the ruck, had more possessions at better efficiency. We sucked and got through on some uncharacteristic i50 efficiency.

You may not have posted it but you certainly implied it. How does a side that is 'thrashed everywhere but the scoreboard' have any good players? You made a sweeping statement and I gave you at least one example of the fallacy in your statement.

If you look at the stats they were remarkably close except for the inside 50's which were 67 to 45 in Sydney's favour. Taking a positive stance that shows how well our defence played and how inefficient Sydney were.

You may not have posted it but you certainly implied it. How does a side that is 'thrashed everywhere but the scoreboard' have any good players? You made a sweeping statement and I gave you at least one example of the fallacy in your statement.

If you look at the stats they were remarkably close except for the inside 50's which were 67 to 45 in Sydney's favour. Taking a positive stance that shows how well our defence played and how inefficient Sydney were.
The implication is entirely in your head. I agree Finlayson, Duursma, Butters, JHF and Williams had good games. Dixon also very good at times. We did not play well collectively.

Having that many fewer i50's will almost never win a game. And the full bore fold back team defence is loser football compensating for short sighted list management. It will fall apart when it really matters. We've all seen it before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back