Review Round 4, 2023 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong.

Words cannot describe how stupid it is to think Hinkley is going to steer this team anywhere meaningful.

After 3 failed prelims, our trajectory has been DOWN instead of taking the last step or even getting close again, and is now pissfarting up and down from week to week.

And it doesn't reflect well on anyone that cannot see this.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein."
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only
by success.

Umpire's call.

Well s**t idk I'm only guessing that's why I asked for a video review.

The trick is ensuring the cameras are bad enough to hide the incompetence.

I've been busy so I wanted to give a quick review.

I thought we played well and valiantly in a scrappy SCG affair.

Sydney only had to real avenues to goal through the whole game, well three, a streaming Chad Warner, Papley one on one and when the team ran out of defence and midfield. Other than that, they looked really poor moving forward. Also Heeney a touch. Our defence was really good. Aliir was amazing and slaughtered whoever he was on. McKenzie was brilliant. Duursma was amazing helping out the defenders from the wing, fantastic game.

Chad Warner got loose later in the third quarter. I couldn't tell who was on him at that time. He was the difference for the Swans to have a sizeable lead heading into the 4th Quarter.

In the first quarter, we struggled to get contested marks out of the back half. In the second, we were able to find the tall timber and we started to get some ball heading in.

There were times certain areas like the midfield or forwards struggled but overall the entire team played hard for 4 Quarters.

When Byrne-Jones came on, just about every touch he had turned to gold. I almost had him in the votes for a quarter of footy and he actually put his body on the line. Duursma, Finlayson and Dixon apart from his 50 metre penalty were fantastic in the last. McEntee what a great kick for goal. In the last, the majority of our kicks found our better kicks for goal - Marshall with a great goal, Rozee from a free, McEntee with a cool head and a great mark and goal from Finlayson to seal it all up.

Rioli didn't do a whole lot and I am now a bit worried about our small forward stocks with Fantasia also being down on form. With rumours of Kosi, I have said he is not a need but after the first 4 weeks I am slowly changing my mind on that one.

Marshall couldn't marked more but it is good to see him throwing his body around a bit.

We will see if Jonas not being in the team this week is addition by subtraction.

Dylan Williams, very nice game. Such a cool head and a natural footballer. Looked confident with kick outs as well.

Farrell had a hard time on Papley who is in AA form. Still battled on though.

Finlayson and McKenzie really straighten us up. I would really love to see us with Ben McKay. He would add so much to our team. Really add strength to the backline and spine overall.

When the Swans used their slow ball movement, it really helped us and played into our hands.

We also seemed to be coached reasonably well through out the whole game. Dunno if it was Hinkley down on the boundary or Carr in the box or wherever he was.

Mead is a very nice kick into the F50 but needs to find more of it when he plays.
I really enjoy Bergman but he has to work on his kicking.
I would like to see Butters bulk up and tidy up his kicking.
Rozee, although tagged, played manfully and when he has a step he delivers with class.
Horne-Francis keeps working and getting better.
Butters played well.
Wines, although not fantastic, keep working.

There is a thought that maybe Boak should look towards retirement but I think until it is obviously over, he keeps his spot.
He has been a bit injured and still does a lot of good stuff. He could play 2 or 3 more seasons.

When we hit the lead late in the 2nd quarter for the first time in a while, we got 4 free kicks against us in a row.

We creamed their tall forwards of Buddy, Amartey and McDonald.

I had a quick look over the match stats and usually we have a lot of stats to show up for our loss but with this win, we were generally behind in most stats. We lost disposals and were killed by 20 for inside 50s. Oviously, we are going to lose the free kick count by 10.

We won stoppage clearances and clearances overall but it was close.
We won efficiency inside 50. Colour me excited. We killed tackles inside 50, 24 to their 7, very impressive.

Super late review. Hope the boys play well today.

I'm genuinely surprised you didn't wait until after finals before making a decision.
Because you haven't been paying enough attention to know how pathetic this club is.

Massive sliding doors this night was. We could be looking at a completely different next two seasons if Florent's shot had carried a few inches further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back