Review Round 4, 2023 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Duursma goes to his direct opponent and then notices the Sydney player alone inside 50. He makes an effort to get back but is too late.

Others are ball watching. It was not good but it highlights one of Port Adelaide’s biggest issues and it is not height in the back half.

What Port Adelaide lack more than anything is a defensive general. Why aren’t the defenders screaming and calling players back? Why are they so disorganised behind the ball?

A general in defence would never have let this happen. Imagine May or Lever in this situation…Imagine Hodge. Who is our organiser?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Happens so often in free play with this team it isn't funny, and not just in the defensive 50, there are a number of blokes there just getting sucked into a contest rather than hold their ground and structure. 2 or 3 blokes around the contest commit to the ball carrier leaving their opponents open for an easy out.

Think it stems from the pressure the ball carrier defensive style, where pressure means everyone attack the player with the ball, and no regard to cut off any of the in close options.

The dixon 50, the Houston deliberate rushed behind, the ridiculous goal review bullocks up on meads goal. Port should have been 3 goals up anyway. Don't buy that talk that we were lucky

Still played like s**t. Sydney just aren't very good
Are you saying the Dixon 50 wasn't there? It was a massive brain fade by him and cost us the lead with 2 minutes to go.

The dixon 50, the Houston deliberate rushed behind, the ridiculous goal review bullocks up on meads goal. Port should have been 3 goals up anyway. Don't buy that talk that we were lucky

Still played like s**t. Sydney just aren't very good
I’ll give you two out of three. The Dixon 50 in the 4th was there. I would also add that Marshall was lucky to get the free for the push in the fourth. the umpiring was rubbish both ways….

A, obviously. But A isn't going to happen.

The actual choice is A - Port finish maybe 6th or so and Ken doesn't sacked (don't kid yourself and think Koch won't give him another extension if we make the lower end of the finals, he's done it before and he'll do it again) or B - Port miss finals and Ken gets sacked. And B is the obvious choice there to everybody except shortsighted true believers such as yourself.
I know A isn’t going to happen.
I truly believe your 6th prediction might be about right.
I also truly believe that won’t be enough for Ken to coach us in 2024.
I truly believe Port will take the easy option and appoint Carr as coach.
I truly believe Koch needs to go for the club to get back on track.
I truly believe in wanting success for my club and that is measured by winning premiership’s.
I truly believed last year that Ken was not going to get sacked because of the dills running our club presently.
That’s what I truly believe
If you don’t agree with any of that then bad luck.
You have to get it in your thick head that not everyone is going to agree with you.
I’m almost sorry for people like you, it really pi$$ed you off port winning this week.
They must get a laugh out of you at work Monday mornings, here comes Misery Guts after his team won on the weekend.

Very scrappy game won on emotion, and as has already been suggested that much emotion can't be re-produced on a weekly basis, and even if it could be skill and a decent game plan will eventually defeat it more often than not.

Some observations

1. the continued calling for video checks by one particular goal umpire was as boring as bat sh*t, and in at least one of them (and arguably 2) he should have been over ruled and a goal accredited to the Power.

2. Franklin is absolutely finished as an AFL player.

3. And possibly the worst - If the crows are as good as some now believe they are, that would mean they have come from below us on the pecking order to above us AGAIN during hinkley's tenure. :sick:
No surprises there re 3

Last edited:
Happens so often in free play with this team it isn't funny, and not just in the defensive 50, there are a number of blokes there just getting sucked into a contest rather than hold their ground and structure. 2 or 3 blokes around the contest commit to the ball carrier leaving their opponents open for an easy out.

Think it stems from the pressure the ball carrier defensive style, where pressure means everyone attack the player with the ball, and no regard to cut off any of the in close options.
It was Tom Jonas, and why he ended up as captain.
Are you saying the Dixon 50 wasn't there? It was a massive brain fade by him and cost us the lead with 2 minutes to go.
The issue with the Dixon 50 is more about the umpire deciding to allow Chad Warner to take advantage, and then call it back when he stuffed up and turned the ball over to Dixon.

They didn't give Port the same nice call back when Connor Rozee attempted a snap under pressure robbing us of a set shot on goal.

The issue with the Dixon 50 is more about the umpire deciding to allow Chad Warner to take advantage, and then call it back when he stuffed up and turned the ball over to Dixon.

They didn't give Port the same nice call back when Connor Rozee attempted a snap under pressure robbing us of a set shot on goal.

Exactly right. Dixon should not have finished up with the ball in the first place. Yet another example of the poor umpiring standard in this game.

Chris Davies reaction on TV last night says it all. Davies basically said that the PAFC accepts that the (ch)umps got it right in the Houston rushed behind. Maybe Chris should pass that message onto Dan because like the rest of us he was not happy. Instead of crawling up the AFL's arse we should be lodging complaints.

We did get one gift though as I have watched the Ladhams free several times and cannot see where he moved off his mark. If they are going to call play on for that then they will also take the mark out of the game.

Both clubs should be protesting about the standard of umpiring including the goal umpiring and the video review.

Last edited:
i dont understand what he was meant to do? hes 30m from the player, was he meant to run the ball up to the player and lose his positioning, so he kicked it, as per most of our players he missed the target, the umps should have said yep that's a normal port kick.

its not like he booted the crap out of it or dribbled it along the ground, for me it was total lack of feel from the umpire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much this:

There's no way it was intentional, especially knowing how bad of a kick dixon is ;) I've never seen it paid from a long kick before.

Also time was already off.

Noone mentioned the Williams HTB decision. I don't the rule well enough, but the commentators seemed to think he didn't have prior opportunity to dispose of the ball. Perhaps someone who knows the rules better than I can tell me whether that was a bad call or not.

That Dixon kick to the swan's player who had been awarded the free was well above his head and landed at least 5 metres behind him, a brain fade like that should always result in a 50 metre penalty, and even if it was unintentional and just a poorly executed kick the ump would have had to see it as an attempt to buy time so more Port players could flood back into the swan's forward 50.

If the situation had been reversed, and there was no penalty forth coming I suspect many Port supporters tv sets may have been in jeopardy.

That Dixon kick to the swan's player who had been awarded the free was well above his head and landed at least 5 metres behind him, a brain fade like that should always result in a 50 metre penalty, and even if it was unintentional and just a poorly executed kick the ump would have had to see it as an attempt to buy time so more Port players could flood back into the swan's forward 50.

If the situation had been reversed, and there was no penalty forth coming I suspect many Port supporters tv sets may have been in jeopardy.

Yeah, truth be told if Dixon had been returning the ball to a team mate for a Port free at the same stage of the match he would have done a far better job. It's 50m without doubt.

Finally someone, Matty Lloyd, has highlighted how poor we were in the dying stages of the game.
AAA: AFL must step in on McCartin, how to beat the Pies, 'damning' Giants vision

8:55
Holy s**t

1681172685327.png

Ollie Wines, Dixon and Duursma, all with hands on hips after that Rozee kick. Duursma moves to a man to man up, but totally ignores Florent who has snuck out behind him. Had one of those boys or JHF pushed over into the centre we'd probably have slowed it up.

Jonas absolutely zero awareness, was on Heeney, but decided to roll up leaving Heeney in a tonne of space.

Farrell takes his man only, and doesn't shuffle the defence across to Heeney.

Houston & SPP totally unaware of what they're guarding and both look lost as the play unfolds.

This is such a bad look. Embarrassing stuff.

Last edited:
Holy s**t

View attachment 1656307

Ollie Wines, Dixon and Duursma, all with hands on hips after that Rozee kick. Duursma moves to a man to man up, but totally ignores Florent who has snuck out behind him. Had one of those boys or JHF pushed over into the

Jonas absolutely zero awareness, was on Heeney, but decided to roll up leaving Heeney in a tonne of space.

Houston & SPP totally unaware of what they're guarding and both look lost as the play unfolds.

It was diabolical defending. We lose that game and the blowtorch on Hinkley this week would've just about broken him.

i dont understand what he was meant to do? hes 30m from the player, was he meant to run the ball up to the player and lose his positioning, so he kicked it, as per most of our players he missed the target, the umps should have said yep that's a normal port kick.

its not like he booted the crap out of it or dribbled it along the ground, for me it was total lack of feel from the umpire.
Lol. Spin it anyway you like. The one with a total lack of feel was Dixon. That's 50m every day of the week.

If the situation was reversed, and if what you wanted to have happen, happened to us, this board would've melted.

LOL ... If he just missed him, then sure, I doubt the umpire would have reacted as he did. But Dixon kicked the ball 10m over the dudes head, and 20m behind him! Clearly not deliberate, but just as clearly it was sloppy, and considering the state of the game, it was very poor on his part. Notwithstanding the non "play-on" call, the 50m penalty against Dixon was clearly there.

Went away for Easter so only got to watch the replay last night.

Did lol at new and improved, Awkward Boundary Ken™, being deployed.
He didn't look comfortable in that role at all.

Positives:
  1. We won and got 4 points.
  2. Dylan Williams looks the goods. Very composed.
  3. Butters finding form. He seemed to be in everything.
  4. Aliir. Felt he was our best over the whole game.
  5. Finlayson taking that last grab and slotting it. Awesome moment for him.

Negatives:
  1. We won and got 4 points.
  2. Hinkley's windmilling over an opposition player's mistake. For god's sake man, read the room.
  3. Diabolical defending put the results of the game in the hands of fate. We lucked out this time.
  4. Finlayson's first goal was from one of the weirdest free kicks I think I've seen. The ump was calling it based on his anticipation of Pisty playing on, not from him, you know, actually playing on, or moving off his line etc.
  5. Goal review is a farce. How the * is this tech so poor still.

Holy s**t

View attachment 1656307

Ollie Wines, Dixon and Duursma, all with hands on hips after that Rozee kick. Duursma moves to a man to man up, but totally ignores Florent who has snuck out behind him. Had one of those boys or JHF pushed over into the

Pretty harsh. First heavy ground and the elements. Can be quite fatiguing at this time of the year, off the back of running out of steam in the showdown the week prior.

Earlier on in the game, yeah inexcusable, last minute of the game, can afford to cut some guys a bit of slack, a part of the reason why interchanges were reduced to open the game up more.

Having said that it still comes down to our guys getting sucked into the ball carrier to often. 9 port players within the swans forward 50 where the ball had just came from. Half the bloody team!!🤯🤪

That's bullshit.

What if we have the greatest possible coaching replacement in our table already, but because they're untried, we go someone else at the end of the year and they end up worse. Or, flipside, perhaps the caretaker coach is actually s**t, if we get them in as caretaker and see that, and therefore make the decision to get someone else. Both of those scenarios move us closer to a flag than keeping a dud coach for the rest of the year who we aren't interested in extending.

There's a whole bunch of players (Lycett, Jonas two obvious ones, but plenty of others) who won't play in our next premiership, but the last 10+ years have proven the current coach won't take them out of the team. This means there's a whole bunch of untried or barely tried youngsters that could be part of our next premiership that aren't getting game time. Move on the dud coach before the end of the year, give them some games to prove themselves, and that moves us closer to the flag.

Even just the gameplan itself. Get someone in to try a gameplan that might win us the premiership, give the players time to adapt to it and, lo and behold, that takes us closer to a premiership.

I can understand why you wouldn't want Hinkley sacked now if you think he should have his contact extended beyond this year. I can't however, understand why you think he should hang around if you think he's done at the end of the year anyway. It's very much a sunk cost. Get rid of him

Just the acute example of finally dropping Byrne-Jones (albeit to sub) after an extended patch of poor form and throwing Dylan Williams in the deep end is enough to demonstrate what an ‘interim coach’ could do as far as ensuring this year isn’t a complete waste — given he’d almost certainly make some hard calls and cut deeper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back