What level of sport did you play.

Remove this Banner Ad

South Gawler under 15 17 B A was at central's then got king hit on Australia day was never dedicated enough to play again as my jaw now is pretty much glass..

My south under 15 premiership team had Sam Butler ( WCE premiership player ) we also had Allan obst ( NM and Crows ) we also homes Travis Varcoe ( Geelong premiership player and Collingwood) for a month or two then he went back to Smithfield in 2001 we beat Angaston who had Shannon Hurn ( WCE premiership player ) aswell....

And also trained for MPW as a wrestler

Swimming - National and State

This. Quite a few age/open titles and medals at state championships, but never got out of the preliminary stages at national age or open championships. I reckon you, and the other poster I saw talking to you about swimming in some thread or another, had faster PBs than I ever managed.

These days, I am more mathlete than athlete.

Footy has been my go since I was about 7. Amassed over 400 games across junior/senior grades. Was a part of U13/U15 & U17 development squads at North Adelaide and U19 development squads at Port Adelaide - couldn't crack the NA squads ahead of the college lads, but managed a handful of 19's games for the Pies under Mark Tylor. Also did a league pre-season when Timmy G was coaching. By no means a brag (I was an average footballer), but just a sensational experience running out onto Alberton oval, and being coached by some childhood idols, who I spent years watching win flags at Footy Park.

My senior career was spent solely in the AdFL. I played some D1R footy before changing clubs and settling in D5/6/5R/6R. Once my son came along I spent the last 7 years of my senior career as a C grader. Finished on approx 230 games, won 4 flags (captaining 1).

Made a state side in Gaelic Footy, which won the national title. I wasn't much chop at any other sports, so just played them socially.

Last edited:
Footy
West Adelaide under 12s Special Squad.
First XVIII at good football school.
A2 oscillating between As and Bs Old Colls as was more interested in booze and chasing girls at the time.
Did my knee in an inooccuous tackle at age 20 and never played again.

Cricket
SAPSASA primary school
Under 14 Port Adelaide District. - Got hit in face and lost confidence
Went from Under 15A's to Thirds at Good cricket school and realised cricket really wasn't my game

Hockey
Got Friday arvos off at primary school. Played for 2 years. Made SAPSASA.

Basketball
Played Juniors for West Adelaide Bearcats. Had to choose between Footy and basketball and chose footy. Was too short for basketball any rate.

Played Tennis socially, loved and still love Table Tennis. Played competitively as a kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I made the state U18 indoor cricket team which is not as big an achievement as it seems as I was in the top 12 of about 50 players.

Played 130 odd games of C/D/LO grade Adelaide Turf cricket, 1 flag, 1 ton.
Positive 30 batting ave. for the national carnival!*

*Don't mention sample size, not interested ;)

Anyway, Chiefs U16 premiers 2002 is my greatest sporting achievement haha.

My most productive and enjoyable sporting pursuits are happening right now. I'm a pretty competitive bastard, so the fire keeps burning. Smashing certsin mouthy friends on hilll climbs on the bike is so satisfying.
Does stalking Elspeth really count as a sport?

High School volleyball and rugby back in the old country. I very short stint with the Adelaide Uni Blacks in Football (soccer) in my late 20s and a couple of seasons of mixed netball in my 40s, which ended with a dislocated shoulder.

Ooh yes I love rambling about my junior footy career. WARNING: veeeery long post ahead.

Footy was the only sport I spent years in. I had wanted to play in the AFL since I was a kid and started Auskick at age 5. After 3 years of that a lot of my school friends started playing for local clubs but my mum wouldn’t let me because the only clubs she knew of were in my suburb and had a bit of a bad reputation, one of which was the club I did my Auskick at. I put footy on hold after that and a few years later I pestered my mum to let me play footy a few years later midway through under 11s.

That under 11s year I joined the club near my cousin’s house and played the last 6 games of the year, and it was apparent that the AFL dream was long gone for 10 year old me. The team had won the div 2 premiership the previous year and I was thrusted into the middle of a div 1 season with kids who had been playing at the very least for that whole season and most of them for years so I was out of my depth there. Needless to say we got relegated.

If I had to take a guess I was maybe in the bottom 5 least talented kids in that team for a while which was a real shame because I was tall and could mark really well, but I didn’t have the courage or toughness required for footy, that gene from my dad ended up with my sister. That and I couldn’t kick well, and it’s a given that if you can’t kick you can’t play. To my credit though I had a very great tactical brain for the sport.

After 3 years with that team I realised I had been playing above my age group and the club was getting league approval for me to play up an age, I was shattered because I had towered over the boys in the age below me. They had a medium sized kid kick 50 goals in a season, if i was playing there as a big full forward with that kind of supply who knows where I’d be now, maybe I’d be in the AFL (believe me, the course to the AFL is determined very very early in the junior career). After 1 more year with the older boys I moved down with not much to my name aside from a coaches award and two grand final losses. I had totalled maybe nearly 70 games so far.

Over my career I played all over the ground and through my limited forward time I snagged maybe 10 goals all up. My best work was undoubtedly at full back as I rarely ever conceded a goal from my opposing full forwards. Usually the physically gifted kids naturally end up in the forward line or midfield and as a strong tall player I could negate the best forwards in my league week in week out. The trick was simply to just stay man on man as long as possible, it seems obvious but it’s rare in junior footy so I was great if I say so myself.

Unfortunately I was perhaps so great at negating my opponent’s influence that the eyes were never on me and it truly frustrated me that I would rarely get any credit for my hard work and only get a reaction if I made a mistake. The rep teams never picked actual full backs either, the league full back was my teammate who played midfield and HBF.

In under 14s I played my third grand final the day after my grandfather passed away and I toiled away at full back all day in a tough loss. We lost by 2 goals all up with the score something like 1.12 to 3.12 or something ridiculous with one of our forwards kicking 0.5. That one still burns me up as I gave that game my all to lose to the team I hate most. Annoyingly that was in div 3 and despite not winning it we had to go up a div due the comp not having enough teams for 3 divisions.

Eventually I spent less time at full back and for some reason was splitting my time between CHF, the bench and a little bit of ruck. With my team’s system though the ball never made its way to CHF, I’d be bypassed by the midfield going to the FF in the hot spot (I’d be instructed to stay out of there) or it’d come around the flanks to enter our forward line. My talent was wasted I tell you!

Come 2019 though I’d had a relatively finals filled career. The chronology had gone:
Relegated / GF / OT loss in SF / GF // GF / missed finals
I was getting to the end of the career with the equal club record for most lost grand finals (club was formed in 2011) and needed to win desperately. Maybe the funniest moment of 2019 was when I did the Duursma bow and arrow in an away game after kicking a goal in the goal square (took a strong goal line mark tbf) and my coach benched me for doing a selfish celebration when we’re a team. I think he just didn’t like Port lol. We lost that game in the middle of butt * nowhere but it did spark some momentum. I was more annoyed that one of our forwards could do the whole “look at me” when he kicked a goal but me with my single digit goal tally couldn’t get hyped about kicking one.

That 2019 season was special though, we scraped into finals in 4th having had a draw with 5th place earlier in the year, though our % was way higher. We beat a team that tanked to Div 2 in our elimination final, beat a team that was missing players due to school footy in the semi final and got to a grand final against a team that really had the wood over us (we’d gone I think 1-9 in total against them, including a GF predating my time with the team and we’d lost badly maybe a month or so earlier). Somehow they shat the bed though and we thumped them by like 9 goals. Winning a flag from 4th was huge, we wore white shorts every week which was a symbol of being the underdogs. I remember my coach saying I could only do a bow and arrow if we were 10 goals up in the GF and I thought “right so never” but somehow we did that. I spent the vast majority of the match on our 7 man bench and wished I could have done the bow and arrow but alas I’m glad to have won.

2020 would have been under 17s which is the oldest junior age but unfortunately that was taken over by covid. I finished with 1 flag, 3 lost grand finals (still an equal club record), 97 league games and 9 league goals (I think, maybe more though). Just shy of 100 games but I’ll take that flag no worries. Quit after that as I liked playing sundays at 3pm, not the saturdays at 9am for under 19s and haven’t looked back. I cherish those junior footy days 100%, even if I sound bitter in a lot of this.

I would beat 95% of you at table tennis.

That's about it.

Funnily enough table tennis is my game.
Was ranked reasonably high in the South East as a kid and was invited to state training camps etc but distance killed that.
Played A-grade level in North East Hills Adelaide, Wagga, Ipswich QLD and now here in Dubai .
Also played a lot of soccer as a kid. Not particularly good. Played as a defender or keeper. Highlight was making the O35 squad for the RAAF in the inter service championships.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ooh yes I love rambling about my junior footy career. WARNING: veeeery long post ahead.

Footy was the only sport I spent years in. I had wanted to play in the AFL since I was a kid and started Auskick at age 5. After 3 years of that a lot of my school friends started playing for local clubs but my mum wouldn’t let me because the only clubs she knew of were in my suburb and had a bit of a bad reputation, one of which was the club I did my Auskick at. I put footy on hold after that and a few years later I pestered my mum to let me play footy a few years later midway through under 11s.

That under 11s year I joined the club near my cousin’s house and played the last 6 games of the year, and it was apparent that the AFL dream was long gone for 10 year old me. The team had won the div 2 premiership the previous year and I was thrusted into the middle of a div 1 season with kids who had been playing at the very least for that whole season and most of them for years so I was out of my depth there. Needless to say we got relegated.

If I had to take a guess I was maybe in the bottom 5 least talented kids in that team for a while which was a real shame because I was tall and could mark really well, but I didn’t have the courage or toughness required for footy, that gene from my dad ended up with my sister. That and I couldn’t kick well, and it’s a given that if you can’t kick you can’t play. To my credit though I had a very great tactical brain for the sport.

After 3 years with that team I realised I had been playing above my age group and the club was getting league approval for me to play up an age, I was shattered because I had towered over the boys in the age below me. They had a medium sized kid kick 50 goals in a season, if i was playing there as a big full forward with that kind of supply who knows where I’d be now, maybe I’d be in the AFL (believe me, the course to the AFL is determined very very early in the junior career). After 1 more year with the older boys I moved down with not much to my name aside from a coaches award and two grand final losses. I had totalled maybe nearly 70 games so far.

Over my career I played all over the ground and through my limited forward time I snagged maybe 10 goals all up. My best work was undoubtedly at full back as I rarely ever conceded a goal from my opposing full forwards. Usually the physically gifted kids naturally end up in the forward line or midfield and as a strong tall player I could negate the best forwards in my league week in week out. The trick was simply to just stay man on man as long as possible, it seems obvious but it’s rare in junior footy so I was great if I say so myself.

Unfortunately I was perhaps so great at negating my opponent’s influence that the eyes were never on me and it truly frustrated me that I would rarely get any credit for my hard work and only get a reaction if I made a mistake. The rep teams never picked actual full backs either, the league full back was my teammate who played midfield and HBF.

In under 14s I played my third grand final the day after my grandfather passed away and I toiled away at full back all day in a tough loss. We lost by 2 goals all up with the score something like 1.12 to 3.12 or something ridiculous with one of our forwards kicking 0.5. That one still burns me up as I gave that game my all to lose to the team I hate most. Annoyingly that was in div 3 and despite not winning it we had to go up a div due the comp not having enough teams for 3 divisions.

Eventually I spent less time at full back and for some reason was splitting my time between CHF, the bench and a little bit of ruck. With my team’s system though the ball never made its way to CHF, I’d be bypassed by the midfield going to the FF in the hot spot (I’d be instructed to stay out of there) or it’d come around the flanks to enter our forward line. My talent was wasted I tell you!

Come 2019 though I’d had a relatively finals filled career. The chronology had gone:
Relegated / GF / OT loss in SF / GF // GF / missed finals
I was getting to the end of the career with the equal club record for most lost grand finals (club was formed in 2011) and needed to win desperately. Maybe the funniest moment of 2019 was when I did the Duursma bow and arrow in an away game after kicking a goal in the goal square (took a strong goal line mark tbf) and my coach benched me for doing a selfish celebration when we’re a team. I think he just didn’t like Port lol. We lost that game in the middle of butt * nowhere but it did spark some momentum. I was more annoyed that one of our forwards could do the whole “look at me” when he kicked a goal but me with my single digit goal tally couldn’t get hyped about kicking one.

That 2019 season was special though, we scraped into finals in 4th having had a draw with 5th place earlier in the year, though our % was way higher. We beat a team that tanked to Div 2 in our elimination final, beat a team that was missing players due to school footy in the semi final and got to a grand final against a team that really had the wood over us (we’d gone I think 1-9 in total against them, including a GF predating my time with the team and we’d lost badly maybe a month or so earlier). Somehow they shat the bed though and we thumped them by like 9 goals. Winning a flag from 4th was huge, we wore white shorts every week which was a symbol of being the underdogs. I remember my coach saying I could only do a bow and arrow if we were 10 goals up in the GF and I thought “right so never” but somehow we did that. I spent the vast majority of the match on our 7 man bench and wished I could have done the bow and arrow but alas I’m glad to have won.

2020 would have been under 17s which is the oldest junior age but unfortunately that was taken over by covid. I finished with 1 flag, 3 lost grand finals (still an equal club record), 97 league games and 9 league goals (I think, maybe more though). Just shy of 100 games but I’ll take that flag no worries. Quit after that as I liked playing sundays at 3pm, not the saturdays at 9am for under 19s and haven’t looked back. I cherish those junior footy days 100%, even if I sound bitter in a lot of this.
Dude, you have another 20+ years in you to play footy. Once you're 35 you can play masters and there are blokes well into in their 60s still running around.

International (all ages to U21), Pro and semi pro in Union and League.
Judo black belt.
International Gridiron (GB).
International - Lacrosse and Gaelic football.
Multiple Army and Corps representations.
Div 1 footy.

Always decent, but never quite good (or committed) enough.

A hyper competitive sportsperson with zero outstanding physical attributes to set me apart. I was the Matt Thomas of multiple sports 😂😂.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back