What level of sport did you play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Played div 2 ammos until I turned 23.

At that time I gave up footy due to many injuries and decided to fully focus on golf.

Played A grade pennants for 4 years and was playing off 2 handicap.

Next thing you know I got married and my daughter was next and that was the end of my golfing career. At least I have been fortunate enough to play a round at St Andrews and Pebble Beach.

These days it is only the odd social round with my mates.

Last edited:
Hockey, Tennis, Swimming, and Basketball in Primary School

Hockey and Swimming in High School

Social Basketball, Indoor Soccer, Mixed Netball, and you guessed it.... Hockey.... up until now. Played Div 3 for a bit but mostly the lower leagues.

Long time Lurker and reader

Level of sports played

Footy
Kidman Park Primary
Western Youth U15 (1 Season)
Semaphore Central U16 & U18 ( 2 seasons) finals only
Flinders Park FC off and on for around 150 games couple of premierships
Adelaide College 2 seasons
Wests Super Rules maybe 5 or 6 seasons

a Season in Whyalla and one in Melbourne under assume names

Tennis & Squash

Cricket
Kidman Park Primary School
West Torrens Colts. failed, fear of the fast
Social club

Last edited:
You would be a couple years younger then me then. I remember Sam Butler Shannon Hurn and I think Brad Symes was running around back then as well? 🤔 Could be wrong...
But I remember watching some of the young guys going fück some of these guys are bloody good.
Yeah he was Gawler central's just down the road from Willaston..

Yeah it was a awesome set of juniors coming through early 2000s

Was Gary a left arm fast bowler
He was still playing for Kensington last year with Jamie Siddons. Right arm from memory. Not much pace left in the old boy though.

He was still playing for Kensington last year with Jamie Siddons. Right arm from memory. Not much pace left in the old boy though.
There must be something about Kensington and older blokes, a senior workmate of mine, a bloke named Bruce Bowley made a ton for their B Grade when he was well over 50.

He was the coach and had been retired for more than 10 years, but had to put on the whites because a batsman didn't turn up.
Bruce had a decent cricketing pedigree though, he opened the batting and the bowling for SA in the early 1950's, apparently his old man could regularly smash the ball over the grandstand in country cricket, and his son was a very good district A grader.

He was a sensational bloke too and one of the best drinkers I have ever known, we used to have weekly counter meals at the deadleg's club in the late 1970's early 80's, and he was a 6 pint man with the first one gone in about a minute and a half, but even after the last one you wouldn't have known he'd had a drink, going one for one with him was real hard work.

There must be something about Kensington and older blokes, a senior workmate of mine, a bloke named Bruce Bowley made a ton for their B Grade when he was well over 50.

He was the coach and had been retired for more than 10 years, but had to put on the whites because a batsman didn't turn up.
Bruce had a decent cricketing pedigree though, he opened the batting and the bowling for SA in the early 1950's, apparently his old man could regularly smash the ball over the grandstand in country cricket, and his son was a very good district A grader.

He was a sensational bloke too and one of the best drinkers I have ever known, we used to have weekly counter meals at the deadleg's club in the late 1970's early 80's, and he was a 6 pint man with the first one gone in about a minute and a half, but even after the last one you wouldn't have known he'd had a drink, going one for one with him was real hard work.
Apart from the district club that doesn’t have juniors so shouldn’t be a premier club I think Kensington is the only club that looks after their players and it shows. They have a strong off field culture.
I know when one of my kids leaves my turf club for a district club I’ll have them back in a few years if they aren’t playing A grade. Kensi, is the exception.

Always played Aussie Rules for club as a kid (Redlands in Bris SE) but was always better at rugby. Played league for Cleveland High (pretty decent). My sport was always fighting though.

Boxed Golden Gloves with Boxall as a young fella. Moved to Salisbury Park in 1990 when I was 15 and hated every trainer I tried (probably because I thought I knew too much)

Played for Pooraka under 16's footy, then Fitzroy (SA) before joining defence force.

Restarted fighting after defence career fighting amateur kickboxing and muay thai for last 10 years or so until April 2020. Supposed to fight in Melb but called off due to covid. After years of cutting weight at age of 46 I started over eating and over drinking. I'm not 100% sure I could get back to competing now. Seems a stretch

SA in swimming as a teen.

Victoria in Cricket as an old fart...like the 18th X1 here...not the 1sts.

Now representing a *European country in chess of all things. Cant say I'm overly good at it. I'm probably being beaten by 12 year olds

*A small country. A very^, small country

^very

Played junior footy at Goodwood with and against a bunch of people who’ve gone on to play AFL (Riley Bonner, Ryan Burton, Caleb Daniel, and Alex Neal-Bullen the most notable amongst some others). Also played at West Adelaide up until U/16s when the First XVIII coach at my school found out I could play a bit and invoked the old ‘school over club/SANFL’ rule. Year 11 was a lot of fun, but Year 12 was a write-off with a change of coach and continual injuries. Haven’t played since finishing school in 2013 - probably could’ve played at a decent level if my body wasn’t made of glass and I was more committed but oh well.

Played district cricket at Adelaide throughout juniors until First XI took priority. Was a handy opening bowler but gave it away due to injuries and having to work on Saturdays after a couple of years in the ATCA comp.

Also played volleyball and a bit of basketball at school.

Most recent sport I’ve played is mixed social netball which I found just as enjoyable as any other sport I’ve played.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played in the old AFL-Q (now NEAFL). Back when the Brisbane Lions reserves were in the comp and we’d play curtain-raisers at the GABBA before the AFL.

84a61565f71c29c3aeb115b62c51f4fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back