F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
Off season...

I played A grade (football) in the Barossa Gawler league (Freeling) then went out and played A's in the Adelaide plains (Two Wells)
1 year at para hills (C grade with a few mates)

*Did go play for Hamley Bridge a couple of years ago when they were broke and got stuck playing b's then A's which was ****ed since I was 35ish then and we were getting belted by 40/50 goals... (Did kick a goal against my former team in a 52 goal something to 1 goal loss lol) but * that.

Unfortunately no premierships. Played in a losing GF which still pissed me off now... Since we were the favourites.

Last edited:
Footy B and C Amateur, but I’d be lottery the whitest player in the history of footy.

Golf handicap to 11

Cricket A and B grade church league and northern district.

Black belt (30 years ago) lol

Back 30 years ago (!!) B grade footy (A3 reserves) for a club up on the Peninsula. Well they didn't have a C grade did they? ;) Better runner than most of the A grade but no idea where I was running to on a footy field lol. Couldn't kick more than 40m, didn't help. Minor dose of shin splints, a work year that went nuts keeping me from training and a move of suburbs to eliminate the high costs of cab fares due to my then workplace's very ah, "sociable" culture all combined to put paid to footy for me.

Running still a bit of a thing, 14km City2Surf in 1h:09m a few weeks back. Not too shabby for an older bloke. Training tip: 4 stubbies of Coopers Pale late Saturday night before the run. Idiot.

I had a couple of runs as a colt on the bay oval way back when a bloke with the initials JC was playing full back for Jerusalem.

Joined the navy at 17 and was `lucky' to get one tour to Vietnam on HMAS Vampire when the majority of recruits were allocated to the troop ship Sydney, which was apparently a fairly boring gig.
Picked up a bad ear infection from survival training, ie jumping off the ship with 5 or 6 other blokes while it was at anchor, wearing heavy work clothes and with my boots looped around my neck.
I was only about 70 kegs in those days and treading water for 15 mins with the work gear full of water was hard yakka ( no pun intended) for a skinny 17 yo.
Took a discharge as unfit due to the ear infection, and it was back into civvy street.

For more than 3 years I only played social games of footy and cricket until a work mate talked me into playing a trial match for Salisbury West.
I went ok but couldn't get a clearance from Campbelltown, and even though I lived in that suburb I didn't know they had a footy club or even where it was, so I gave it a miss.

Got talked into making another comeback by a Camden bloke late one night at the St Leonards hotel in 1975, played 1 season but by then my pace, which was my one and only asset was gone, (5 or 6 years on the turps and chasing 3 wheelers can slow a bloke down) so I retired for the final time at the ripe old age of 27.

As far as organised sport goes, as a junior I played a decent level of tennis, playing against the likes of Roger Rasheed in the local under age tournament circuit.
Became one of those racquet chucking dicks on court and probably found bands and stuff like that at about the right time, giving the sport away for more enjoyable pursuits.

In Woomera there was only two grades in both footy and cricket - juniors and seniors. The town was too far away from anywhere else to play against, so we had to have a comp within the town population, which dwindled from about 5000 to less than half that by the time I left. The worst thing was the junior sports - not enough people for age grades, apart from a mini league for the littlies, so you had 10 year olds playing against 16 year olds.

I gave footy away when I moved to WA, but played cricket for a few more years, rising to the dizzy heights of 1B Grade in the Perth Mercantile league.

Saturday Div 1 Amateur League Soccer back in my early 20s.

Couple of seasons of Div 1 Masters League in my late 30s.

My kids have way surpassed my level of sport (though in Volleyball). Coaching turned out to be more my gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swimming - National and State
Surf Life Saving - State
Volleyball - High School

Trail Riding - recreational
Snowboarding - recreational
Pill Popping - recreational

Just to add to my tennis post, my greatest claim to fame was on a junior tennis camp run by Ian Barclay (he's the bloke Pat Cash climbs up the stand to hug in the coaches box after winning Wimbeldon in 1987), and he took the main group. He'd video the sessions during the day and play them back to us in the evening, dissecting our work. Barclay slowed down my serve and backhand for the group to illustrate the correct way to execute both. I think that was my high point and pretty much quit not long after, having reached my zenith.

U9/Primary School, Year 12/Open High School knock out, U12, U13, U14 club (then the club pisspot/juniors coach forgot to nominate teams the following year so lost all the kids they recruited the previous 2 years after having no juniors for a decade...), SA Masters footy (current).

U10?/Primary school 'Average' cricket. Hitting a 4 and taking 2 wickets in an over as the regular wicketkeeper was the highlight.

Div 1 & 2 lacrosse. 1 x Div 2 premiership from 2 GFs. (still play the odd game).

B & C grade mixed netball in the ETSA Park and UnleyHS/StJohns comps for 3-4 years. 1 x GF loss.

Lunchtime indoor soccer and volleyball (1 x premiership) at the MFS.

Edit: A season of 9-a-side and 13-a-side Gaelic footy at Gaza and Kenilworth (St Marys) on Friday and Sunday nights. Loved it, got to play against a few SANFL and ex-AFL players, but my team folded so never went back.

Last edited:
My sporting career reached its zenith at the age of 12.

Growing up in a country town in the South East, I was hopeless at Primary school footy and started competing in cycling races which pleased my late uncle no end. I ultimately won the School Boys Championship and being at the absolute peak of my talents, I 'retired'. I sure as hell lacked the commitment and desire and still remember the manager of the old Norwood cycling velodrome asking me to compete there but when I said 'no', without saying a word, he turned his back on me and walked away -disgusted. My uncle was seriously peeved off as well.

Enjoyed athletics to a reasonable standard at Naracoorte and Norwood High schools.

Played footy at Norwood High and coached by the late Bob Oatey when in the 'Bs'.

Aged 16, I joined the Police Force as a Cadet and in the early days spent a considerable amount of time doing a wide range of physical activities. One instructor was a former Grenadier Guard, another two others both ex army and reserves. Another was Ron Daniels who was a SANFL umpire at the time.

Although he didn't last long in the Force, we had a Golden Gloves boxing champ in Robert Coulthard training us and he flogged us to the point of absolute exhaustion.

Later became heavily involved in motor sport - rally navigator and circuit sprints at Mallala and learnt how to throw money into a very deep hole.

Life was and is all good:)

Alan Didak kicked 3 goals in 10 minutes on me back in the under 17’s and was a right campaigner about it. Stuck to cricket after that.
I beat 200 gamer superstar saint Jason Blake 21-2 21-3 in table tennis in a high school sporting comp Windsor Gardens has with Cheltenham in Victoria. He punched me so hard when we played footy I thought his fist was going to come out the other side of my guts.

Reasonably good at schoolboy rugby in South Africa, but soccer, athletics, and chess was my thing. Played in local under-16 & under-18 club soccer as a 'keeper. In school athletics, I was in everything from 100m to 800m, also long-jump, but got to state under-16 representation in 800m. Also was in the local cross-country club with my older brother, and one of the top seeds in the open Jo'burg Chess Club. (I just love chess competitions!)

When we emigrated to Australia in the '70's as a teenager, Soccer was an abomination! We were here a week & I found the local club near us in adelaide and rocked up with my dad for their first game on the Saturday arvo, with hopes of maybe joining. Couldnt understand all this agro around us, everyone wearing these national European Greek & Italian colours! I am like, "what is this?" Then halfway through some guy chucks a flare at our section, and next minute a full on riot erupts between the Greek & Italians. We got out out & never went back.

Struggled with the cultural differences at school, so left halfway & hit the workforce, and sadly dropped all sport aspirations.

So that left only chess! :(

I played in the state baseball team as a junior (U/14s), and was probably the peak of my personal athletic achievement until I ran a marathon in my 30s after getting through a pretty severe medical incident 18 months prior.

Primary school level footy and basketball (won a basketball premiership). Some sailing in late primary school (another kid and I won the annual championship at the club for the particular type of boat we sailed - Holdfast Trainers). A bit of chess in early high school.
I started sailing in Holdies over 50 years ago. :)

Goal umpired SANFL for years. Did the 2012/13 Grand Finals, got pretty close to being AFL listed but lost passion and didn't want to give up going to Port games with my mates etc.

The height of my sporting career is a 7th placing in the male teams race at the 2010 SLSA IRB racing national championships.

I contributed a grand total of 0 points (only get points for 6th and up) to Williamstown Swimming & Life Saving Club's (and Victoria's) first ever IRB national championship trophy, but I was there!

I've won a couple of state pennants, in both Vic & WA. Thank god for niche sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back